Goldwood OB speakers cheap...nice

Curious as to how you are running the HiVi's in your set-up?

I'm using an Eminence crossover at 500 Hz that I had already purchased for another project. Offhand right now I think its a 2nd order (electrical) on the GW-215s and 3rd order on the Hi-Vi B3Ns. The baffle I have them in is 24 x 36" with the GW-215 centered horizontally and 24" up from the bottom. The B3Ns are 3" off center and 3" down from the top (driver spacing is tight).

Simulations of this set-up with Martin King's OB worksheet suggest that there will be a mid-bass hump around 400 Hz which I think I hear in the built speakers. Unfortunately I typically can only pull them out about 1m or so from the wall to listen but they really need more space than that. I have found that the best sound is to wire the drivers out of phase.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
and there is always the 18 incher to consider - when size does matter....http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-386
ttan98 - if you make it from Oz to see Bluto feel free to stop by Nashville for a little taste of Southern Style hospitality and the best Country Western night clubs in the world.....:D

Attachments

• goldwood 18 inch woofer 290-386m.jpg
    goldwood 18 inch woofer 290-386m.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 369
audiophile36 said:

Yeah I bet the Alphas do sound better in other areas,but for pure bass extension in OB the GW are kings.The Alphas wouldn't work for me because they don't reach down far enough...I have my GW's playing only 60hz and lower so I don't think the Alphas could do that region of bass better than the GW's.I am not surprised about the power handling of the Eminence being greater because they are Pro/PA drivers and the GW are home stereo drivers.

Unless that extension comes at the cost of higher distortion. I don't mean to be a downer on your project, by no means, it looks like a great simple inexpensive OB project. But don't fall too deeply in love with the goldwoods, they'll never be a low distortion driver. I'd always trade a half-octave higher f3 for better distortion and pitch definition, which is probably about what the tradeoff would be with the goldwood v alpha.

Holdent , et all -

I was just spending some time doing some #'s comparisons here.

I have a real space problem to contend with but going up is not much of a problem in a place or 2.

Consider the GW -1038. 2 per side of these supposedly would allow you to pump in 230 watts a side, get you an SPL near 88, FS of 33 with a 4.6 xmax.

Add 2 GW FR's and a Behringer A500 and you ought to have a pretty decent front end for less than $350.

Sure beats Best Buy.

Bluto

ttan98 -

C2Thomas is getting old .... don't listen to him. Just look at that Hat, he needs that to hear ANYTHING, not just signals from Mars. It ain't Nashville, it's Memphis!!!! Nashville is for wheelchair people !

Just teasin TJ , Nashville is definitely cool too.

Bluto

c2cthomas said:

ttan98 - if you make it from Oz to see Bluto feel free to stop by Nashville for a little taste of Southern Style hospitality and the best Country Western night clubs in the world.....:D

I may well take up your offer, I have been to the States but never been to Nashville...home of country music..

now you are wondering whether I may turn up...

cheers..

badman said:

Unless that extension comes at the cost of higher distortion. I don't mean to be a downer on your project, by no means, it looks like a great simple inexpensive OB project. But don't fall too deeply in love with the goldwoods, they'll never be a low distortion driver. I'd always trade a half-octave higher f3 for better distortion and pitch definition, which is probably about what the tradeoff would be with the goldwood v alpha.

Hello Badman,

I don't mind a little distortion that's why I have a tube amp and a tube cd player,beause the distortion they produce is aurally pleasing. I never thought ,nor required the GW's to be low distortion drivers...I simply wanted the highest QTS driver to augment the bass of a full range driver,and they do just that. I would compare the GW's to tubes and the Eminence to SS...I prefer tubes.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Wisconsin - from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Know for ......... Cheese Days in Monroe and Mequon - well that and beer! Nashville TN - Country Music Hall of Fame (but Memphis does have Elvis - well they did have him but he up and died. But there are rumors about .......) Down here in Tennessee we use that "golden water" they brew in WI to wash down a shot or two of Jack Daniels Whiskey! (Except that I don't drink - or smoke - or gamble - or chase women either. Just ask my wife and she'll tell I don't - because if she catches me doing any of that stuff she has a skillet with my name on it!!). If ya' all come-on down to TN bring Bluto's lawn mower with ya and I'll have some of my NASCAR buddies give it a little tune-up (a 800 HP tune-up). Now back to the topic at hand ------ Hey!!! How about those 18 inchers? :clown:

BTW - Bluto - you are a couple of pm's short bud - get to write'n sunn.

ttan98 - you are welcome to show up any time as we do have a spare room with a big ol' King Sized bed to bunk up in. Ya just have to be able to put up with three yap'n dachshunds! If you happen to be driving an auto here you need to remember that the posted speed limits on the highways (freeways here) is 70 MPH (110 kph). This is pretty much regarded as a friendly suggestion as the speed used in the slow lane by little old ladies out for a Sunday drive home from church.

Attachments

• racing lawnmowers.jpg
    racing lawnmowers.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 304
36, I was just wondering if your configuration could be done with a passive crossever network, perhaps as suggested with two woofer for lf section. Any idea if this is possible and what would the crossover look like? Complex or simple? Your set up sounds nice for not much money. Not perfect but nice for the money. I like it very much.

I don't think they would work optimally run passively. The reason is the 8" and 15" are both ~ 88db and to make it work passively you need the woofer to be considerably more efficient than the fullranger... at least 6db or higher.I think the reason this set up works is because the woofers are actively x-overed and biamped with a pair of subwoofer plate amps.It is much easier to intergrate the woofer with the Fullranger with the variable crossovers in the plate amps,not to mention the ability to match the volume of the woofers with the fullranger.

Audio 36 -

I came back to add a post of my own and forgot to do so.

My wife and I have been discussing this a good part of the day. I'm so impressed with what these cheap Oaktons are giving me for sound that after reading your luck with this GW I'm actually going to forego my Hawthorne SI decision until after I've tried these GW's.

I'm out next to nothing if I'm unhappy.

FWIW perhaps some 'tweeking' on them should be next on your agenda.

Bluto
I've had good luck with Goldwoods as replacement woofers. As long as the specs match well, they are predictably OK. I mean, how many companies make a 6 ohm dual vc 12" woofer that won't buckle with a 35 Hz tone? Well, that's what a Pioneer SS-9D takes. And Goldwood has a match for under $50. I'm not saying it's a stunner, but amazingly good for something close to free. And, frankly, with most source material and most listeners, who cares if the basket is stamped of cast? Or if the square wave is perfect. I mean, it's pretty damn good. To hear any difference one would have to spend 3 to 10 times as much.