Hexagon Pioneer B20FU20 Enclosure - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2008, 10:58 PM   #241
flaevor is offline flaevor  United States
diyAudio Member

bout damn time John I was gonna bother you again over at Jane.
Old 28th October 2008, 04:44 PM   #242
diyAudio Member

Default Distortion data for this driver

Hi,

Given this driver's long history, has anyone run some distortion tests for it? Can I take a peek?

Thanks!
Old 24th July 2009, 03:46 AM   #243
diyAudio Member

Default Gimme more please!

John,

I can't take this. Have you made any progress on these babies since your last post a year ago?.

Please do show us more!

Branko
Old 27th July 2009, 10:30 PM   #244
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Distortion data for this driver

Quote:
Originally posted by weinstro
Hi,

Given this driver's long history, has anyone run some distortion tests for it? Can I take a peek?

Thanks!

Yeah, those with setups, let's see it! I'll even ship a driver, or pair, if it means distortion data. I've got a quad for the sake of comparing modified units to stock.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:46 PM   #245
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Sigh, I know. I'm terrible here. I just have so many things in my life, that have been taking up my time. I really want to get them finished. I really do. Honest.

Alright, I promise: I'll get started on the reflector's molds, so I can pour a pair and get them finished.

If I don't go fast enough, raise hell, and keep me going.
Old 30th September 2009, 09:04 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

>>> If I don't go fast enough, raise hell, and keep me going.

I want to see pictures!

Godzilla

http://www.zillaaudio.com/b20-mod.htm
Old 1st October 2009, 05:20 AM   #247
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Sigh, I know. I'm terrible here. I just have so many things in my life, that have been taking up my time. I really want to get them finished. I really do. Honest.

Alright, I promise: I'll get started on the reflector's molds, so I can pour a pair and get them finished.

I just discovered this thread. Your design is close to what I was thinking of. I was going to use a bowling ball as the reflector with a smaller full range upward facing driver. Rather then a hex cabinet, I was thinking of using a round cylinder.
Old 1st June 2011, 08:04 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Did the molds work out?
Old 5th February 2012, 07:30 AM   #249
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Bump...

Quote:
*raising hell*

Now that I've read all that I need the epic conclusion!
Old 10th February 2012, 09:24 PM   #250
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

For everyone who has been patiently waiting for me to finish this project, I must offer my heartfelt apologies. I realize it has been a long time, and I promised to complete it, but until now have just been unable to gather the proper attitude to move forward. Well, I am finally going to give this another try.

But first, let me offer some sort of explanation about this. In a short sentence, I just lost total interest in the project. And there were several reasons. One of them was that I felt swamped over the project and thought I might never come up with a successful conclusion. The diffraction lens part is not something that is easliy accomplished. Another reason was that I had failed at producing a lens on a large lathe, and then screwed up on a casting attempt.

And another reason was that the cabinet was not the ideal size for the drivers I wanted to use. An 8" driver was just a bit small for the size of the cabinet. And yet, a 12" was just a hair too big to fit at the top . I could have made the cabinet just a bit smaller in diameter, or just a little bit larger in diameter, and it would have been near perfect. On the other hand, a 10" would work fine, but the truth is that 10" drivers are the 'bastard child' of the speaker family. Its too big to make into a two way system, and too small to be attractive when a 12" is almost the same price, and will get you more bang for the buck.

But the last reason was that I just lost interest. Perhaps it was depression, or too many things in my life at the time, but the truth is that I just couldn't bring myself to restart the project. I had left one of the cabinets at the lathe instructor's shop, which was miles away in Durham county, and the other one was in my basement shop. I had set the remaining one out of the way, but still in plain sight, just to remind me that I had a project in need of finishing. And "flaevor" is a participating member of my political/economic forum, so his presence reminded me of my responsibilities. He has been very good in not nagging me, but in the back of my mind, I can't help but feel guilt for quitting and not starting again. And the sole cabinet, left in plain sight, had this way of mentally getting lost to me. I just learned to overlook it, and not think about it.

Well, lately I have been slowly building up for another attempt at this thing, because my conscience won't leave me be. One day I was looking directly at the cabinet, and for once in a long time I actually saw it standing all alone and in need of attention. So I started thinking of how I could possibly come up with a way to make a pair of lenses and get this project done and over with. Then one night, lying in bed, I started thinking about the project and couldn't go back to sleep. When I do that I am getting intellectually serious about something. This hasn't happened to me since I spent several nights thinking about the feasibility and implementation of a Space Elevator. I know, don't ask me why I would lose sleep over a Space Elevator. It just happened because I am a big believer in getting into space and not having all of our eggs in one basket.

So now I began obsessing over this long and twisted journey. Well, to make a long story short, I went looking for my former lathe instructor, who lives in the country. But somehow I had forgotten how to find his house. I spent about three hours going along US 70 north of the 540 outer loop of Raleigh, and every road I tried, nothing looked familiar. And so I couldn't find it, no matter what I did. Things just didn't look right to me. The point is that one has to make the correct turn off US 70, travel a certain distance along a twisted road, make a left turn and then go another distance until coming to the correct gravel road on the left side of the road. Once I got there, I would have no problem making it waaaay back down the gravel road. But I had to find that gravel road first. I'm usually great with directions, but I just plain couldn't remember the way out there.

I started worrying about dementia, and my advancing age, and it was bothersome to say the very least. How could I forget something so simple and something I had visited several times? Holy Cow, how embarrassing.

Then one day last month, I was doing a job for one of my designer clients, and actually finished the job early. On the way home, I started to cross US 70, and had nothing pressing for the rest of the day. So I thought about my last attempt, and said to myself "What the Hell, let's try it again." So I got off 540 and turned toward Durham and started the process again. But I only gave cursory time to the first roads, because I had tried them several times before. I just kept driving toward Durham, trying all the roads leading to the right, and following each and every one.

I Must have tried a dozen, and kept telling myself that the road was not an intersection with a red light, so I paid more attention to the roads without a light. Next thing I knew I was into Durham County and still nothing. "Jesus, am I losing my mind" I kept thinking. I tried a few more right turns and nothing. Then I came to another red light which was red at the time. I slowly turned on to the road, and started moving out and away from US 70, but it still didn't register with me, because it was a red light interchange. But after a mile, I began noticing one or two familiar things that really weren't all that familiar, but just kinda clicked. I tried the next left and it led me to.........nothing. So I went back to the road and went further out, until I came to another left hand road. Again I turned left and went about three quarters of a mile and there was a gravel road on the left, which had several mailboxes across the road to my right. There was also a street name, but I remember there was never a street name there before, so I entered it with caution. Almost immediately I knew I had found the correct road. Eureka!!

Celebrating my success I pulled up to his home and shop, but there was nobody there. I went to the shop, peeked into the shop at several places, trying to see my long lost speaker, hoping he had not discarded it,but seeing nothing. Finally I opened the gate to the front of the house, and after trying the doorbell, I went back to the van, gathered a pad and pen, and wrote him a note. I gave him my telephone number, and left the folded note wedged in his front door. Somehow I knew he might not use the front door very much, but left it there anyway.

A couple of weeks went by, and I finally got a call from a strange name entered in my phone's CID screen. I answered and it was him. He had just found my note and wanted to tell me that yes he still had the speaker and would be more than happy for me to come and take it off his hands. I told him I would call him now that I had his number again, and waited until I had made up my mind on what to do. Then I spent several attempts to get hold of him, but Tuesday he answered the phone and we set up a time for the exchange. And that afternoon I went and picked it up on my next trip to North Raleigh. So I have both of them in my possession again.

And I finally figured out why I had forgotten how to get to his house. I was keying on the lack of a red light on US 70. But since I was out there several years ago, the county government installed a light at that intersection and mentally I had dismissed red light intersections.

Anyway, I have come up with what I believe may work. I'll explain that on the next post.

But anyway, I'm going to start work on this thing again, and work on a set of diffraction lenses. But everything is going to depend on my success in coming up with a lense that is 13.5 inches in diameter, and both match each other. Let's just cross our fingers, and hope for the best.

I've decided that if and when I finish this project, I'm going to give it to my grandson. He's a little young for this, but he just started on a saxophone, and will be interested in music. The cabinets really look nice, but they aren't perfect due to my applying the veneer after assembling the cabinet. If I do another one, I'll veneer the cabinet grade plywood, cut the pieces to measure, finish the veneer and then glue them together. I'll also make the cabinet about five inches shorter, with the diameter bigger, so as to accommodate a 12" driver with ease. And the veneer will not be a dark walnut. I don't even like walnut, and only did this because I liked the sap wood, and it reminded me of my favorite wood, Santos Rosewood. The next one will be either this one, or this one.

Again, I apologize for the extra long delay. Really.

Last edited by John L; 10th February 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!