SEAS Full Range Single Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the impedance gets higher like at resonance and as the frequency goes higher the impedance increases again due to the inductor (voice coil), the current source will try to maintain the same current as when its at a lower impedance. So I squared times R will equal to bigger power at the higher impedance, both around resonance and as the frequency increases.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DJNUBZ said:
Do we have any listening impressions? If so how are these when compared to speakers such as the fostex and lowthers? Is there any way to get an early copy? Has anyone tried modeling them yet with the specs we have?

Higher Q, Vas, and lower Fs than FE207e. So expect bigger boxes that go lower. Should work in some of the similar boxes, BR, MooseBVR, TLs. I talked with the person in possession of the 2nd set in the USA, and he said it was a work of art, and talking a wild guess on pricing estimated they will likely be similar to the 8" Fostex AlNiCo (ie just shy of a grand/pr).

dave

>>> just shy of a grand/pr

Yuck.

Based on the chart, they will have a character of sorts. For some reason i am still turned on more by low Q, higher eff. drivers. Gives me an excuse to build fancy folded cabinets. Ported boxes bore me. And how can a single driver excite more air in a ported box than a back horn or bvr? Moving air is part of the excitement, part of the realism and part of the fun.

A 4Ohm version will likely have a somewhat lower Qts, so it might fit a horn, or at the very least a BVR could be good for it. With its Qts at .44, the 8Ohm version could be a drop in replacement for the B20. With EQ on an OB like in my rig could be really good. A huge BiB, would be fine, too. Still, 'Zilla, when are you or I going to drop the cash that these things are likely to call for, eh? I don't think we'll have much to worry about but watch what other folk try to do with it ;)

Kensai

3db peak above the trend = terrible? I'm not sure about that.

Rather i think this is one of the first fullranges with an honest response graph from the manufacturer.

If you want something similar without a whizzer, thats a little smoother and a little more efficient then there is the Jantzen JA8008 (made by Seas) but it only gets out flat to 5.5 K

Sean

seanzozo said:
3db peak above the trend = terrible? I'm not sure about that.

Oh well, maybe I should rephrase that a bit.

My point is that "peak on axis, dip off" thing. This causes uneven response in room.

I guess the 3 dB on axis peak would be a little shouty, while that off axis 10dB dip could be somewhat nasal sound.

And, thanks a lot for the info of Jantzen JA8008, it seems a very good wideranger on paper.

"A totally new and proprietary spider design dramatically improves the performance of this critical suspension part. By combining an extremely open weave with a new resin formulation, all noises normally created by the friction of the threads rubbing together are virtually eliminated. Additionally, the open weave is highly acoustically transparent, minimizing the reflections and resonances associated with conventional spider designs."- states SEAS about their new 8-incher.

Har har.
Surprise, the pic is _not_ from the SEAS exotic F8!

Hey who is the first one to recognice that driver?A little help: It's from 50's, and I bet SEAS got a pair or two of them too at their residential collection...:D

BTW, it also has a curvilinear cone and whizzer, as that new SEAS too, plus some more original features which SEAS has -for obvious reasons- not decided to follow. And they both use Alnico, and both are red painted.

Is that similarity just a coinsidence?

Attachments

• exotic80.aspx.jpg
    exotic80.aspx.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,663
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.