SEAS Full Range Single Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am intrigued by the price estimate that has been posted....

If the real price of 720Euros($1072) in Europe is correct, and the things are made in Europe then how come they are expected to be $250 cheaper in the states......If that $800 expected price tag is anywhere near reality then the UK customs are going to have a party when the things arrive on the US shelves.

Ed

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My understanding is that this is very common- things made in a country are cheaper in the US than in the country they are made in.
Possibly because the US is such a huge, competitive market and possibly because the US has more efficient distribution because we consume so darned much.

In this case it might be because of the weeeeak dollar, they figure that they won't sell any unless they make a bit less profit..

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
vitalstates said:
I am intrigued by the price estimate that has been posted....

If the real price of 720Euros($1072) in Europe is correct, and the things are made in Europe then how come they are expected to be $250 cheaper in the states......If that $800 expected price tag is anywhere near reality then the UK customs are going to have a party when the things arrive on the US shelves.

Ed

I think it is important to realize that cost and final price don't have, or at least are not necessarily, linearly related. The 'cost' of an item is quite flexible and depends on a lot of things. You may, as a manufacturer, decide to built 80.000 pieces of an item because it is only slightly more expensive then building, say, 50.000 items. Then to recoup your cost and make a profit you need to sell at least 30.000 items at x dollars to the distributor. That means you can play with whatever people will pay for the other 50.000; anything you get for them is profit.

So, if a speaker cost 800 euro's in Germany, that doesn't mean it will cost 1120 dollars in the US. Or vice versa. If you can sell 20.000 in the US, even 600 dollars would make you happy, because you expect to sell 30.000 in europe for 800 euro's to make the projected profit anyway. Such are the ways of economics...

Now, do you understand why accountants make more money than engineers ;) ?

Jan Didden

Ok, so I see at least one shop in the USA is asking 930$ USD each, still no sign of this driver in Canada so far.

So if we compare Alnico based drivers of 8-9 inches...

This price puts it at the same level as the Lowther EX2 and DX45, and PHY-HP H21LB15 and 3 times more than the Fostex F200A but then the production quantities of the F200A must be more than all the others mentioned here combined, so hence some economices of scale.

also, like I say above there are many flavours of Alnico.

cheers
paba

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.