SEAS Full Range Single Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's a new full range, single driver in town, the SEAS Exotic F8. It will be unveiled at the Venetian hotel for the Las Vegas CES 2008 show. Knowing Seas, the driver will pack some great low end bass. I wonder what magnets they use.

OLD NEWS, please delete.

Attachments

• seas-speakers.jpg
    seas-speakers.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 3,624
I agree that this is old news, but maybe for a different reason. The whizzer cone is shown very clearly in the thumbnail. While whizzer cones may have been an acceptable solution for the lack of high frequency performance in the 1930s when there were no true tweeters, haven't we moved beyond them?

Whizzer cones reproduce nothing. They are only a source of spurious high frequency resonances.

There are limits to full range. If you must resort to a whizzer cone then you have gone beyond those limits.

Mark

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's the back side, showing the Alnico magnet.

Impedance is 4 ohms, resonance is about 40 Hz, and sensitivity
around 93 dB or so.

I'll be loading them up this weekend and getting some initial
measurements and impressions...

:cool:

Attachments

• seas x1 b.jpg
    seas x1 b.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,317
Nelson Pass said:
Here's the back side, showing the Alnico magnet.

Impedance is 4 ohms, resonance is about 40 Hz, and sensitivity
around 93 dB or so.

I'll be loading them up this weekend and getting some initial
measurements and impressions...

Nelson: looks very promising, as you can imagine your impressions will be eagerly anticipated

....and with all due respect Mark, as far as whizzers are concerned, there are probably a few Lowther & AER owners who might attest differently?

thank you ..

for your quick response. I do have a Q about use of power resistor with a voltage amp for full rangers though..

whether you know or not, I am a bit of a fullrange enthusiast (but no absolute geek--there's enough folks like speaker dork, P10 , etc that I can always call opon). I understanfd that fullrangers have an affinity for current amps. I don't own any :(...
However, I have several 100 watt rms amplifiers of good quality., a nice little T-amp, and am working on some tubes.

To essentially provide a current source, as suggested in your treatise on fullrange speakers/current source amplifiers, only requires the use of (often) a 47 Ohm resistor, of sufficient power rating? Do we then apply the filters as suggested?or is the Power resistor enough. I did try this with some full range drivers using a McCormack DNA0.5 deLuxe. There were some profound outcomes. I'm wondering if the filters can be made if needed and access to the mathematics required?

any and all help is appreciated.

stew

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: thank you ..

Nanook said:
To essentially provide a current source, as suggested in your treatise on fullrange speakers/current source amplifiers, only requires the use of (often) a 47 Ohm resistor, of sufficient power rating? Do we then apply the filters as suggested?or is the Power resistor enough.

Placing resistance in series with the output of a voltage source
amp gives an output impedance of that resistance as seen by
the driver.

Usually the driver is not really looking for a real current source
of infinitely high impedance. More usually a value between 1
ohm and 20 ohms gives all the features you might be looking for,
and so I recommend simply acquiring a small collection of power
resistors. This way you can play around with different values and
see what you get.

I have heard elsewhere that putting high values of resistance
in series with the speaker "drains the life out". My own experience
is that an active current source via transconductance amp without
feedback does seem to have a more lively performance than using
the resistors - why this might be is unexplained, but is likely to
have more to do with the apple/oranges nature of the electronics
than the speaker itself.

Hi all,

so I'm getting this right? There are 2 fullrangers from SEAS...
The Exotic F8 as per the web site and the custom order unit for Nelson Pass called the X1 (in reference to the Pass Labs X1 perhaps) that may also be offered to the public in the future?

92 dB is a little short for 300B SET but if it has good Xmax and Fs of 40....hence better bass then most, maybe I can live with that. 92dB is Diatone P-610 territory and that is one lovely unit but of course no whizzer so different all together.

Can't wait to see those measurements. It will probably be a QTS of .4 or higher, don't think SEAS is aiming for the Horn market with low QTS like Fostex.

cheers
paba

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is not a custom driver for Pass Labs, it is an early sample
of something slated for production if I understand SEAS
correctly.

I hooked up my handy-dandy usb based woofer measurement
dongle and got the following:

Attachments

• seas x1 para.jpg
    seas x1 para.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,666
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.