• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Nice Work Phil!

Scottmoose said:

Aaaaarggghhhhh! Another one! Voigt please, gentlemen. Voigt. No 'h'. P.G.A.H. Voigt. Rant. Mutter. etc. :D ;)

A properly designed ML TQWT could be interesting, it was something I was thinking about last night as it happens. We have a problem though. And the problem is that bulbuos great golden thing on the back (i.e. the magnet), which is going to choke the pipe & block most of the airflow / standing waves something chronic. Short of spacing it out massively from the pipe, or shifting to a folded pipe, I'm struggling to think of a workaround.

What do you think of the Dalek cab (or the like) for these drivers? It seems like it could work well or be modified to work with the big depth of the Feastrex drivers..

I never read this thread before and all I can say is wow these look amazing. Too bad these can't be made more affordable for the average blue collar Joe to try....

I'm not the kind to go for the ''eye candy'' look in audio products but it could be cool to have the area that the driver mounts to, such as the whole compression chamber done in thick lexan or plexi just for fun... Dave

to get around the big bulbous magnet blocking the pipe just make a fat segment of the pipe, think of a python that's swallowed a golf ball.
An octagonal shaped bump in the pipe with an oval supra baffle over the front will look pretty good.
It's only 22.5 degree cuts, it would be pretty easy with a table saw.

Feasterex and box...

Just finished installing the new 5k/ 16 ohm transformers from Magnequest.

I was running the feastrex at 8 ohm cause thats what I had installed in the 45 amp.

The difference is staggering...(duhh)

More bass
more upper octave extension
Louder at the same vol setting.

These drivers are blowing me away.

If any of you guys are sittin on the fence for these drivers...all I can say is...
JUMP!

Phil,

Which MQ iron did you get in? I have the RH-40 outputs in a small 45 amp. It has 8/16 ohm taps... installed a switch. I have to open up the Hashimoto based amps to change the wire over to 16.

All descriptions sound right for loading the 45 properly... before it was closer to a 10K load.

Regards, KM

Thinking about a

Thinking about a pair of silver EXO 46 ni for the outputs...

Whats so cool about the Feastrex drivers is ANY change you to to the topology of the amp and I do mean ANY ...The change is so very plain to hear....
For example:
I was running Audio note grid stoppers on my preamp... 2 days ago I swapped out the A.N. with some Allen Bradley NOS carbon Comps...
O.K. its not a topology change but the Allen Bradleys were clearly sooo much better in THAT position.

The Feastrex is kinda like an audio microscope...small changes make big impressions that are easy to hear. Feastrex makes voicing an amp a walk in the park.

I,m thinking I might want to buy some more "V" caps...

My credit card is going to feel more pain this month.

You know, I do love this stuff.

Yes, the silver gets expensive.... and Mike makes some nice iron... and is a really nice guy. Sounds like you have a pretty nice amplifier overall... and as you said, changing the type of part can make a difference.... even chassis wiring and solder make a difference. Any pics of the amp surgery?

When I designed the 45 amps, I decided on part types for everything.... for resistors I'm using Caddock TF, MK and MP series in the amplifier circuitry and Mills MRA5 and MR-200 in the power supply. I did opt for all Axon caps... the 630V High-Volt film in the power supply (no electrolytics anywhere), 250V TrueCap for all bypasses and a single tin-foil/film for coupling. I also used pure silver wire everywhere audio could go.

The resulting sonics are excellent... and they are dead quiet in operation, no mechanical buzz or hum (even the power tranny is dead silent) and output noise is below 130 microvolts.

Once I get the cabinets assembled next week, I'll swap to the 16-ohm tap and have some fun.

Regards, KM

Re: Thinking about a

Phil Townsend said:
Thinking about a pair of silver EXO 46 ni for the outputs...

Whats so cool about the Feastrex drivers is ANY change you to to the topology of the amp and I do mean ANY ...The change is so very plain to hear....

Hi Phil,

Good to hear you are enjoying the drivers... Yes, the resolution of the Feastrex drivers is so good that any changes you make will be very obvious... In fact don't know if you have realised by now... You can very easily hear the difference/improvement of your system from cold start to fully warmed up.. :)

Hey William,

I spoke to Mr. Teramoto on the phone a few hours ago. You had better warn your friend Mr. O. to get his personal affairs in order now, while there is still time, because Mr. Teramoto is going to seriously mess with his life with the new nine-inch field coil drivers he's building for him. To hear Mr. Teramoto describe them, Mr. O. will be venturing into totally new, previously uncharted territory with these drivers -- a veritable "twilight zone" of audio. If he goes in and doesn't come back out again, don't blame me! Nobody can say he wasn't warned . . . :)

-- Chris

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
cdwitmer said:
Hey William,

I spoke to Mr. Teramoto on the phone a few hours ago. You had better warn your friend Mr. O. to get his personal affairs in order now, while there is still time, because Mr. Teramoto is going to seriously mess with his life with the new nine-inch field coil drivers he's building for him. To hear Mr. Teramoto describe them, Mr. O. will be venturing into totally new, previously uncharted territory with these drivers -- a veritable "twilight zone" of audio. If he goes in and doesn't come back out again, don't blame me! Nobody can say he wasn't warned . . . :)

-- Chris

what world needs is 12" full ranger

cdwitmer said:
Hey William,

-- Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, I think he's mentally prepared for the 9" Field Coils.... :) We can't wait to get them up and running... unfortunately bottleneck is always with the carpenter.

Btw I just got the D5nf with the PB9s up and running.. Still running in the spks but WOW :bigeyes: The PB9s really make the D5nfs sound like a huge floorstander spks, I really like the huge soundstage and bass extension that the PB9 gives.... Will post some pictures after I get back from my trip.

Matt came over to my house

My friend Matt, who too lives in Santa Fe, came over yesterday to give the Feastrex a listen....

Here is what he said today...

"I've been thinking about hearing those speakers. It's kind of funny, there is nothing about the speaker that sticks in my mind except wanting to listen to more music." Matt Wiebe

That just about sums it up in a nut shell.

They suck you in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.