Based on sonics... which do you prefer ?

Based on sonics which do you prefer.

• Ruby

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Opal

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Listening to the start and there is a "plucked" or decaying note in the right channel that is far more obvious on the CD, less obvious and more as if it has been mixed down to mono on the vinyl.

(I can hear Pavel eating his Rice Krispies on one of them, or is that just the way vinyl is ;))

Attachments

• SCP.JPG
    SCP.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 76
PMA thanks for little listening, reminds me when we listened your Eric Clapton tracks TAPE verse CD. You can now change the score in post #743 to two for the CD version, 100% shure.

My own remembering is that the first 10 years or so of CD i preferred vinyl on middle good gear and up, but on cheap gear the CD sounded as a the sound system got better. For me the big changer to prefer CD was when the 120dB 24bit DAC's got reasonable cheaper and widespread.

Sometimes i still can think that some few recordings can sound better on vinyl, i guess the reason can be that when released only analog gear was at hand and producer had high musical involvement/skills then later when digitized was done by a person not as involved/skilled as the one from original release, but it's a guess.

Mooly respect what you prefer, put a reverse RIAA in series with a RIAA in the chain when playing digital sources as a test.

The Rice Krispies Mooly mention i never liked, but the acoustic coupling at higher volume in lower freqs from speakers to pickup sometimes made reproduction more live in a way. Born 64 therefor listened the sound of tape and vinyl a lot and liked it, but with better DACs nowadays i prefer good captured CD played digital (DAC external) from dedicated PC.

Last edited:
I am a cheater :). The 'vinyl' version that I have posted in this test is almost no vinyl version.

How was the FL_vinyll.wav created?
1) the data used were the original data from CD, i.e. FL_cd.wav file
2) I have recorded the noise of empty groove of the vinyl, empty track of the measuring LP was used. I have made only a mono record – this is the weak point of my 'vinyl' file.
3) Stereo mix of original CD data and recorded LP noise was created. I thought the job has been done, but it only sounded like CD with vinyl track noise.
4) Retro exciter mastering function at 5% was used to make the vinyl like sound. Now the result was fine, but still too much channel separation.
5) Another mastering function used – narrowing the stereo bas by 20%. The result of these 5 steps is the posted FL_vinyll.wav file.

Attached please see empty groove noise (that was added to the CD data), groove noise spectrum, and exciter function applied to 50Hz, 1kHz and 5kHz, to demonstrate 'midrange improvement' ;)

The steps 2 + 3 were inevitable. There was no way to achieve vinyl illusion without having the real groove noise recorded.

Attachments

• gn_time.PNG
    gn_time.PNG
    58.7 KB · Views: 64
  • gn_freq.PNG
    gn_freq.PNG
    59.5 KB · Views: 66
  • exciter_50.PNG
    exciter_50.PNG
    55.5 KB · Views: 62
  • exciter.PNG
    exciter.PNG
    57.2 KB · Views: 60
  • exciter_5k.PNG
    exciter_5k.PNG
    57.5 KB · Views: 35
I am a cheater :). The 'vinyl' version that I have posted in this test is almost no vinyl version
The thought had crossed my mind that this was a setup in some fashion - and so it came to pass, :). I don't know about "retro exciter" processing, this was obviously the origin of the "stew" effect - interestingly, I have just sampled two CDs, recently recorded, which have been put through the "old time recording" manipulation routine, and it doesn't really work - it doesn't sound as good as a clean version, nor truly capture the positive qualities of the older recordings.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.