Electronic Design Mag discovers High End Audio!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What we found, which led to subsequent investigations on damping, passive components, transformers, inductors, and transducers, was that the MOSFET replacement sounded and measured identical to the tube within 1/2 dB. Further, the MOSFET version measured the same on THD plots, burst modes, square-wave response, and other dynamic testing. The output tube was not the reason that the amplifier sounded the way it did. Most of the tonality that we heard came from the pre-amplifier, the inverter stage that drove the output devices, the output transformer, and the transducer.

We later proved this a second time by taking horizontal output transistors (low-gain, high-voltage BJTs) and plugging them into the same application, with their own thermal compensation, level shifting, and local feedback. Again, the amplifier sounded and measured within 1/2 dB. We never got around to testing insulated-gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs). We concluded that the sound difference wasn’t dominated by the devices used.

From pt II of the article.

I would like to seem more hard information and data on this very broad conclusion.

I think it is wrong.

Comments?

From pt II of the article.

I would like to seem more hard information and data on this very broad conclusion.

I think it is wrong.

Comments?

May be not really wrong. With that circuit, the result will be somewhat close. Supply modulation and round distortion that tube lover need is still there. Unless he use N2 buffer configuration to get it really close. SS is "much" better when designed correctly. I am using very special configuration of SE bjt for N2 input, it is 2sc4xxx not 12AX7 nor ECCseries.

Comparing excellent SS with tubes is just like comparing a really cute young wife with oldie granny woman. Clean vs distortions.

Naaaah .... Too much degeneration in the input ... :D
Yes, there was little much cost degradation, but better performance in return. Not just SE, but special SE, it consumes 40mA for 2mA output.

Clean is boooorrring; distorsions keep us alive (however I prefer young).
I see that wavac also still with supply hum modulation and round distortion, but LAMM is clean, wideband classA.

Pano doesn't matter with young or old.:D
Wavac SH-833 monoblock power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com
Lamm Industries M1.2 Reference monoblock amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com
Lamm looks simple and DIYable
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/pics/lamm_m12_inside.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.