New Linear Audio publication!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
About the cube law amp, one may not miss the Ian Hegglun's design documentation as linked at ClassA^3 - Greenchild :

LACAv8 - PAK2 devo

Particularly, the Linear Audio Vol.8 article supplement contains a lot of stuff written by Ian about amp design.

http://paklaunchsite.jimdo.com/app/download/6674127354/LACAv8-Supplement-v1.pdf?t=1409485794

I feel a bit proud to know Ian's works since March 1995 ("fast power amplifier" EW+WW) and to have provided the scan of his September 1995 EW+WW article on square law amps to Francis Brooke for analysis in 2008 (this article is available through the link to Francis Audio given by Ian in Linear Audio as well as in his supplement).

Some may be interested to know that Ian has also interest in loudspeakers and has published "Speaker feedback" in EW+WW May 1996, treating of negative resistance damping, negative current feedback and of an enhancement of a BJ. Sokol 's circuit able to do the same job as a Linkwitz Transform in the bass region but having the great advantage of being adjustable.

NB : EW+WW stands for british magazine Electronics World + Wireless World.

Forr your first link is incorrect because the last bit refers to the time stamp and has to be removed.

All correct links are in the Article section at the L|A site.

Jan

BTW Had a very nice evening at one of our technical colleges in Eindhoven. We are trying to revive the NL AES Student Section. My co-comittee member Bert gave a pitch about the AES and the advantages for an audio-student to be a member of AEs and conversely the need of the AES for 'new blood'.

'We' the AES need to take charge of the new audio technology directions that are appearing above the horizon, and we need to interest the, what we in the Air Force called the BYF (bright, young and fanatic) types to invigorate the AES.
Great work if you can get it ! :cool:

I was asked to do a tech presentation which was well received.

Some days are just great!

Jan

That is good to hear.
I used to be a student member of the AES and visited lots of meetings in the days.

Hegglum Cube-law Amplifier PCB

I am interested in building this amplifier. For those who received Volume 8 and do not plan to build this amplifier I would very interested in your PCB for a second channel.

I know I can get one online from the link provided in the article. I just thought I would try here first.

Thanks

Jan,

You'd stand a better chance of getting some of the reluctant writers to contribute if you comp'd them an issue or two.

I did warn JJ. He actually was working for me today.

ES

JJ did reply...

"Har!

I do DSP nowdays tell them I said that. I only belong to 6.02214129(27)×10^23 audio boards already, it feels like.

Who's the "health permits" guy. Please let him know my only disability is a disability with handling idiots

jj"

He is almost as charming as I can be. Probably why we get along. I don't think he would be willing to contribute at the moment.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan,

You'd stand a better chance of getting some of the reluctant writers to contribute if you comp'd them an issue or two.

I did warn JJ. He actually was working for me today.

ES

Ohh I do lots of giveaways to prospective authors, even if there's seemingly no chance they will write. It often is enough to get their interest after a few times; that's how Barrie got interested ;)

Thanks for giving him a heads up Ed!

Jan

JJ did reply...

"Har!

I do DSP nowdays tell them I said that. I only belong to 6.02214129(27)×10^23 audio boards already, it feels like.

Who's the "health permits" guy. Please let him know my only disability is a disability with handling idiots

jj"

He is almost as charming as I can be. Probably why we get along. I don't think he would be willing to contribute at the moment.

Hahaha, its good to know the old geezer still packs a powerful punch.

I would think you guys are like peas in a pod, I never could figure out why JJ would post so much on USENET. I enjoyed him and Dick Pierce going at 'em in the stone age. The first hit on Google for Dick was in reference to the reverse of his name (as in body piercing). :)

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would think you guys are like peas in a pod, I never could figure out why JJ would post so much on USENET. I enjoyed him and Dick Pierce going at 'em in the stone age. The first hit on Google for Dick was in reference to the reverse of his name (as in body piercing). :)

At that time they used to swear a lot and really trample each other in the ground with nasty personal attacks. Remember how they treated Arnie Kruger?
Makes diyaudio look like Kindergarten even at its worst (diyaudio I mean).

Jan