New Linear Audio publication!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Got my copy today, too. Already read the first articles at lunch break :).

Jan, why do you always supply us with parts for mono equipment only :D? One amplifier pcb, one FET pair... Having to order and pay for the other half kinda deters me from actually building something with it :D!

That's a good point. Sometimes it's a matter of available items like with the JFETs and Bruno's PCB, or a matter of cost like Ian's CubeLaw PCB with Vol 8.
I don't want to raise the price due to the 'freebees'.

An alternative would be to give away 'stereo freebees' to half of the readers which means that halfway the expected number of sales I have to say, sorry the freebees are all gone. A rock and a hard place.

But if you want to build Ian's amp I think I can scare up a board for you.

Jan

Last edited:
Jan is right. Stereo boards are an issue. At least with one, we can try it out. If we like it maybe we could ask Jan to sell us the second board ? Or even ask for the second board right away and pay the difference in advance.

Jan: I will be ordering 7 and 8 soon. I'm holding back as I want to be at home when it arrives and I've had a lot of out of town trips lately.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mason Green, who developed the CubeLaw prototype with Ian Hegglun, has extra boards for sale here: ClassA^3 - Greenchild
There's also additional design material there, as well as a Mouser BOM.

This is really a very interesting and novel design, thinking outside the box and not the umpteenth variation on the tired old 3-stage design that everybody seems to build.
I am going to build this too myself, to see how it sounds in practice.
Already have the parts from Mouser.

Would be nice if we could have a builders' thread on this design.

jan

Last edited:
Me too! But someone has to write it...
You? ;)

Jan

Although I have build quite a few speakers over the years, I'm by no means an expert.

Ben Kok and John Watkinson come to mind for some thought provoking articles on speakers. Both are, in my experience, very approachable and willing to share their knowledge. Just mail them and see what happens.

What about diyaudio's own Earl Geddes?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
But if you want to build Ian's amp I think I can scare up a board for you.

Thank you for the offer, but it'll be probably another couple of years before I actually manage to start building another power amp :(. Unfortunately I don't have a listening room at the moment, so there's no high priority for building power amps (albeit that's rather more fun) - that's why I built several headphone amps lately. The Ulti-Preamp, which doubles as a headphone amp, took me about 8 years from first thought to first build... :eek:

So you're better off giving a maximum amount of mono-freebies out, I guess ;).

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Although I have build quite a few speakers over the years, I'm by no means an expert.

Ben Kok and John Watkinson come to mind for some thought provoking articles on speakers. Both are, in my experience, very approachable and willing to share their knowledge. Just mail them and see what happens.

What about diyaudio's own Earl Geddes?

I am speaking to Ben Kok as we speak, so to say ;)
Will check up on JW.

I did approach Earl Geddes when I started L|A, he was quite reluctant, but maybe now I have shown that it's not a one time lame effort, I should try again.

Thanks for those tips!

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you for the offer, but it'll be probably another couple of years before I actually manage to start building another power amp :(. Unfortunately I don't have a listening room at the moment, so there's no high priority for building power amps (albeit that's rather more fun) - that's why I built several headphone amps lately. The Ulti-Preamp, which doubles as a headphone amp, took me about 8 years from first thought to first build... :eek:

So you're better off giving a maximum amount of mono-freebies out, I guess ;).

I think so. Of course Bruno's preamp PCB with Vol 5 was stereo but still smaller than Ian's board so the cost factor was much less.

Jan