HP 403B Volt / dB meter problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i picked up this 403B meter and the Battery in it is shot, Instead of replacing it would a string of 6.5v Zener diodes work as a bypass? i have no need of operating it on batteries and no urge to spend $60 on batteries. Is there another cheap way of bypassing the batteries?

OK, sorry about that. The circuit would be a straight forward application of whats recommended in the application manual. I can't put that up now. Maybe tomorrow morning as it's time for me to go to bed now ! Meantime someone would have had time to put one up for you.
I checked your meter casing. It might take a board on the top ( inside the case) or you can attach the assembly to the rear of the meter itself on the outside ! You can mull over this till I see what others have suggested tomorrow !

The 403B Transformer isn't center tapped, and the HP403B power supply actually produces 3 voltages, +/-13V and -6.5V, and a ground reference you'll need, a schematic is shown below.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can use a BUF634 to derive an artificial ground, and the 3 voltages a la:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The resistor values for the LMXXXL regulators are comparatively high -- this helps the bypass capacitor knock down noise.

I came upon this as I am replacing the diode rectifier circuit of my 403B with a true rms detector.

Last edited:
Hi,
Has anyone got the circuits that where linked in this post? The links no longer work. I want to replace the Batteries in my HP-403B with voltage regulators, and need some ideas of how it has been done previously.
thanks and regards,
JEFF

The 403B Transformer isn't center tapped, and the HP403B power supply actually produces 3 voltages, +/-13V and -6.5V, and a ground reference you'll need, a schematic is shown below.

You can use a BUF634 to derive an artificial ground, and the 3 voltages a la:

The resistor values for the LMXXXL regulators are comparatively high -- this helps the bypass capacitor knock down noise.

here ya go:

Attachments

• 403B_2.jpg
    403B_2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 403B_1.jpg
    403B_1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 62

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> I want to replace the Batteries in my HP-403B with voltage regulators

If you are abandoning battery operation, you just need four gizmos that will hold about 6.5V when fed with current. Zener diodes. The part I found, 1N4736A, is 23 cents each at Mouser; 6.5V (+/-0.3V) 1/2W Zeners are cheap.

Attachments

• HP-hack.gif
    HP-hack.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Thanks. I did initially consider zeners, but thought they would change voltage slightly due to mains voltage variations and this would cause slight alteration of the unit's circuit balance when set to high sensitivity. I thought the line regulation of Voltage regulators would be much better.

I think that I should scan my manual and send it to Keysight. Their copy whizzed by the microfiche and is unuseable.

As mentioned, this is a great device but early 1960's with poz feedback to achieve high input impedance. Only a few years later they figured out how to do the same thing with the devices of the era.

If you rely on the 120VAC supply you aren't going to be happy with the very low volt readings. It;s less mind-bending to just make up a new battery pack from some lithium ion cells.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.