HP 403B Volt / dB meter problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im happy to make a voltage regulator supply (in preference to buying the batteries)... Jackinng was this was sucessful for you? Your earlier post about volt regulating your unit gave me some optimism that it would be the next best thing to batteries - is this so?

I never incorporated the regulators -- just used a bunch of single Lithium cells -- for the 3 voltages and ground -- here's a suggestion get one of Jan's "Silent Switchers" -- pretty small PCB and it can be powered by a wallwart to deliver +/-15V. for the "mid"negative voltage you can use a TLE2426 "rail splitter" which is a little TO-92 device and halves the voltage between two rails.

i have several HP403's -- one has a linear tech true rms converter in it.

Im sorry jackinnj, I misnterpreted your comments in your 2013 post. I thought you had actually built a regulator circuit when you mentioned the use a BUF634 artificial ground and LMXXXL regulators, etc. I like the idea of the rail splitter to generate the -6.5v supply.
Phil, that circuit idea is good. I had forgotten that a bipolar supply can be derived from a single ended transformer by using a half wave doubling rectifier. The transformer in the HP403B could therefore feed the rectifier in that circuit without using the SN6505.
I guess +/-15v is acceptable for the unit, as opposed to the +/-13v nominal.

Last edited:
Forgot to add that the 2 filter caps would obviously need to be much bigger in value if using the HP's transformer output (at 60Hz) than whats used in the SN6505 inverter crcuit. So, the split rail rectifier / filter could then feed a 7815L and 7915L, with a rail spltter to generate the -7.5v, like jackinnj's idea of using a TLE2426.

Last edited:
Here's the idea. The TLE2426 is basically an opamp with pair of precision resistor/voltage divider such that the output is half.

A common voltage for cordless phone batteries is 3.6V/800mAh. For me, however, the button cells worked well.

Attachments

• Railsplitter.png
    Railsplitter.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 61
I did some rough calculations of the current draw from each supply. No worries about neeeding a buffer, as the -6.5v line draws less than 1 mA, and the +/-13v supply lines both draw less than 10mA.

There's a lot of good info on the TLE2426 with several schematics at Virtual Ground Circuits. There are some buffered versions there if you need more current from the -7.5 rail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.