EZDAC is singing now!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can the ezdac deal with 24/192 bits or does it just up-sample to that using the ad1896?

Just curious. I'm looking for a 24/192 usb front end for it.

Thank you very much. I bought another crystal because it was not possible to buy the original . My crystal need 18 pf. so I need the schematic to know wich capacitor to change.

I am not sure about the 24/192 sorry. I think it depends on the receiver chip anybody know ?

You'd be surprised how much influence a good clock has on the sound... A crappy clock signal with lots of jitter doesn't sound nice, you should do a comparison some time.

The Nokia-guy is partially right; but the supply and load cap are the only differences you can see from the OUTSIDE. Inside the can, they are a world of difference.

A crystal will not do much by itself, it is a passive part with two pins (or three, and then it is called a resonator) and needs an active oscillator-circuit to work. This can be a simple CMOS inverter, or a JFET circuit. Basically anything that amplifies. Very often, such CMOS inverters are already integrated in a DAC or receiver IC. The crystal is part of the oscillator circuit and determines the frequency.

A clock on the other hand, or oscillator-module, contains exactly all of the above inside the metal can, so it holds a crystal and the active circuit. It puts out a neat clock signal if you connect is to a power supply and is a ready-to-use device.

Ray

Hi Erlend,

Thanks! Good to hear you like my page.

I don't have any experience with commercial clocks, because I build a Flea if I need one :D. But one thing I noticed: all these manufacturers speak of jitter and how bad it is and that their clock is x times lower, but I don't see any measurements anywhere. Where are the numbers? So it all depends on how low that jitter actually is in practice. A nice low-noise power supply or a shiny SMA connector won't help with that if the oscillator is bad.

I think the outputstage is a very nice sounding circuit. How are you going to do the I/V conversion?

Ray

Hi Erlend,

Thanks! Good to hear you like my page.

I don't have any experience with commercial clocks, because I build a Flea if I need one :D. But one thing I noticed: all these manufacturers speak of jitter and how bad it is and that their clock is x times lower, but I don't see any measurements anywhere. Where are the numbers? So it all depends on how low that jitter actually is in practice. A nice low-noise power supply or a shiny SMA connector won't help with that if the oscillator is bad.

I think the outputstage is a very nice sounding circuit. How are you going to do the I/V conversion?

Ray

Passive I thought.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.