Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Simon

I am using sorbothane feet in my CDP...... and as the under lid is not fixed (In one of my latest mods I had to cut it off to access the pcb without dismantling everything) I am using also a sponge under the CDP to maintain the under lid in place.

Should I consider wood feet instead ?

Ricardo

Snap! is a musical sound or super glue when you undo it?
A sponge is a new idea! We can talk about different kinds of sponges? I'm being silly...look at the link I gave a few pages back. Nice feet, nice prices, nice seller. Me I just follow like a good little sheep. Tone wood is what "they" say. Brent I get what you're saying about micro movement but until and when I sort out the bottom plate I'll just add mass to the cover. Also I fear these pretty foreign feet will get damaged in shipping (the next time around chez toi)

Last edited:
That eliminates the front connector.

Can you list exactly what you have done around the dac , decoder & servo. Also if you did it in stages what did you do last.

Brent

I have not touched the DAC or Servo as yet.
I'm following Ray's mod list for the 63.
Decoder changes as follows
FROM TO
C507 47p cer. 47p PS
C508 22n 100N MKT
C509/ 512 47n 330u/16V + 100 n PPS
C510/ 511 REMOVED
C513 47N cer. 100n PPS
R508 4,7R 220uH/3R3 + FERRITE
R511 4,7R JUMPER
U179 JUMPER 220uH/3R3 + Ferrite

I gonna recheck the values but I'm sure I got them right. Thanks Steve

Try undoing the mods for R508, R511 and U179. Do it step by step and see what happens. The decoder is quite critical in the way the three supply-pins are connected to each other. Did you use the exact same 220uH inductors?

There's an error on the board, pin 15 is supposed to be connected to pin 44, but it is not. It is connected directly to the +5V. The SAA7345 datasheet also shows 15 and 44 connected, and then through a 2.2 ohm to the 5V. By replacing U179 with an inductor, better isolation is provided, but maybe this causes problems if the induction is too high.

I never tried to connect 15 and 44 and see if this works actually.

Regards,

Ray

Try undoing the mods for R508, R511 and U179. Do it step by step and see what happens. The decoder is quite critical in the way the three supply-pins are connected to each other. Did you use the exact same 220uH inductors?

There's an error on the board, pin 15 is supposed to be connected to pin 44, but it is not. It is connected directly to the +5V. The SAA7345 datasheet also shows 15 and 44 connected, and then through a 2.2 ohm to the 5V. By replacing U179 with an inductor, better isolation is provided, but maybe this causes problems if the induction is too high.

I never tried to connect 15 and 44 and see if this works actually.

Regards,

Ray
Hi Ray, yes, I used the same inductors. I will undo those mods and report back.
Should i try and connect 15 to 44

A sort of follow-up: having replaced brass cones with ebony ones and leaving aside the fact that they are not tightly coupled with the base due to to ballance problems (I need a lot more mass). I said the effect was subtle. It's not. BUT, I'm at a loss to describe what I hear! I think it is a significant improvement, then not. This is definately a new experience. Is it more detailed, more tuneful? or is it just another tone control, like some cables? I don't know. Maybe they need to run-in:eek::rolleyes: NOT subtle at all.

OK folks, I reversed the R508, R511 and U179. The symptoms are the same. Disc spins, does not read.:confused:
Grofus, aka Steve;)

Ok, Steve :D

Looks like it's not your mods then, it could be the laser that is giving problems. Does it spin like usual, or does it go around in a frantic speed? You could try re-inserting the ribbon cable that goes to the mech, it is known for giving problems.

Ray

Glad you like them, especially as I'm always recommending wooden cones! They do something that sounds "just right". They seem to improve PRAT, bass, mids, top end, dynamics - everything. I think the effect is a bit like putting spikes on speakers - it helps to subjectively focus the sound.

Fully agree! I've tried Sorb and find it makes the sound wooly and flabby.

Brent

Ok, Steve :D

Looks like it's not your mods then, it could be the laser that is giving problems. Does it spin like usual, or does it go around in a frantic speed? You could try re-inserting the ribbon cable that goes to the mech, it is known for giving problems.

Ray
Yeah, I tried that and a different transport. The disc spins normally then stops. I checked the the laser bobs up and down and glows a faint red light. All OK. Every change made has resulted in the same symptoms.
I'm stumped. :confused:
Steve