Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Here for every few houses there is an earth-rod in the ground. So in our block of eight there could be two or three to ensure a low enough earth resistance. Lucky me!

The power-cable comes in, phase and neutral, and neutral is connected to earth locally. Then phase and neutral pass a earth-leakage safety-switch, fuses, and then to the outlets. So earth is still earth, and I am not depending on a substation's earth.

It doesn't matter if all the equipment is floating wrt. earth, as long as their common ground (which is signal reference) is connected well together.

Regards,

Ray.

poynton said:

In the UK, Neutral ( return ) is grounded at the substation.

The EARTH wire should be connected at the fuse box to all cold water pipes via earth bonding straps and then to earth by the water system. This was great in the days of lead water piping but with the advent of plastic feed from the main supply and plastic push-fit pipes internally, maybe an Earth stake rammed into the ground is a good idea. After all, that's what happened in the good old days of crystal sets !!

Andy

same here any
I think aust run very similar(same) to england
need to read the SAA rules

seen some houses where nuetral connected to earth at junction box
earth is either water pipes or metal spike

allan

6h5c said:
Here for every few houses there is an earth-rod in the ground. So in our block of eight there could be two or three to ensure a low enough earth resistance. Lucky me!

The power-cable comes in, phase and neutral, and neutral is connected to earth locally. Then phase and neutral pass a earth-leakage safety-switch, fuses, and then to the outlets. So earth is still earth, and I am not depending on a substation's earth.

It doesn't matter if all the equipment is floating wrt. earth, as long as their common ground (which is signal reference) is connected well together.

Regards,

Ray.

earth-leakage safety-switch = RCD...Residual Current Device.

Just though I would put that incase anyone was wondering

:angel:

6h5c said:

Regards,

Ray.

and our ground plane is infested with mV's of digtal noise and power supply pulses?

all looking for the easiest way out:D
(path of least resistance)
allan

Re: Re: Clocks and clock psu

6h5c said:

Hi Jacco,

There is a star-ground at the RCA socket. This is a point where all the ground traces from the board meet. The top ground-plane is grounded at this same star-point, but it is also connected through several links to local (analog and digital) groundpoints at the DAC, decoder and analog +/-12V supply caps (U221, U235, U169, U208, U267, U136). So it seems things are not strictly separated. By removing the links (except the one at the star-point) the ground-plane becomes separated.
You should leave U136 in place if you want to keep using the headphone circuit by the way. It has no trace to ground on the bottom layer, so it is the only ground path for it.

Regards,

Ray.

U136 "It has no trace to ground on the bottom layer, so it is the only ground path for it"

R913,R905,R906,R914??

The EARTH wire should be connected at the fuse box to all cold water pipes via earth bonding straps and then to earth by the water system. This was great in the days of lead water piping but with the advent of plastic feed from the main supply and plastic push-fit pipes internally, maybe an Earth stake rammed into the ground is a good idea.
Sorry, there's just a little bit of a misconception here. The bonding is secondary, 'equipotential' bonding to ensure you don't get a shock during a mains fault to earth (when, due to differing impedances, two things nominally at earth potential could float to a dangerous voltage apart). It has nothing to do with providing the functional earth bond.

UK norm is now PME (Protective Multiple Earth), where the Neutral-Earth bond at the substation is backed-up with a another bond at the incoming service panel. Adding earth rods etc to this arrangement can be done, but it needs a pro to do it (And, note, I'm not one). I've put up a bit more about this here: http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/earth.html

Tent XO2

Hi all.

First off I want to say what an excellent thread!

You've inspired me to start working on my own cd63ki that has been gathering dust for quite a while now, it has been modified with a Tent XO2 and extra regs etc but never cut it compared to my heavily modified cd80.

Jacco when you get your XO2 try running the clock signals to the dac and decoder, just wire the clock to the dac as usual and then use one of the extra outputs to feed the decoder (U193 I think but I'll check for you) I think you can also feed the servo but I havn't tried this yet.

Keep up the good work!

Magnus.

Re: Re: Re: Clocks and clock psu

awpagan said:
still prefer
earth-leakage safety-switch:D

Just plain english... :cool:

and our ground plane is infested with mV's of digtal noise and power supply pulses?

That's more like a local problem :D

U136 "It has no trace to ground on the bottom layer, so it is the only ground path for it"

R913,R905,R906,R914??

Look at the junction of the plus and minus of C903 and 904 :bigeyes:
Seems like their ground connection depends on U136 (CD67) or U275 (CD63).

Regards,

Ray.

Talking of earthing, I added a spike to my system, nice upgrade.

Attachments

• rod1.jpg
    rod1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 445