Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 488 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2006, 12:28 PM   #4871
diyAudio Member

Thanks Simon

Brent
Old 29th November 2006, 02:54 PM   #4872
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
is there an easy way to link newcomers back to post 4868?
and it's replacement when it becomes obsolete?
Old 29th November 2006, 03:12 PM   #4873
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi,
is there an easy way to link newcomers back to post 4868?
and it's replacement when it becomes obsolete?
Yeh, click on the link at the top of the post and then copy and paste the address from the address bar. That will take you to the post again. You could bookmark it.

Simon
Old 29th November 2006, 07:57 PM   #4874
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn2
Oh yeah - sorry - I'd seen that but not read it properly - d'oh!

Thanks Ray.

Also, I simulated it with 220uH and 390uF which you prescribed as decoupling, and I get 543Hz resonance - doing the maths it makes some kind of sense. I get a sizeable kink in magnitude, phase and GD.
Hi,

What did you simulate exactly, only the L/C combo? Try to add a second capacitor, before the L. That would be the post-reg capacitor that's there in real life situation too. This could cure the resonance.

Regards,

Ray
Old 29th November 2006, 08:06 PM   #4875
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ian21
Hello all
Fantastic thread (web site) Have done most of the mods on Rays list to my 67se what a fantastic sound now + seperate dedicated radial for hifi .. noticable improvement but havn't quiet got my head around the cross bending leg business for Q801/801 ... i see audiocom does some nice cheap superregs on ebay for about 17 a pop .. is this the way to go with the 12 v circuit ? 4562's superb even the kids loving their cd story books more.
many thanks Ian
Hi Ian, and welcome. I'm glad you like this thread .
You can forget the cross-bending part, it was a way to fit a LM337 regulator on the Eddie Wang board that was originally designed for a LM317, it's obsolete now. You have to reverse two pins on the 337 by careful bending to make it fit. I don't think anyone ever got what the heck I was talking about, and since I didn't take any pictures to back it up: just forget I ever mentioned this bending stuff .

Ray.
Old 29th November 2006, 08:14 PM   #4876
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jksmurf
Ray,

I'm a bit confused (and so is my wife) a bit like Malefoda was earlier I think. Your earlier lists recommended large caps at Q803/Q806:
Am I missing something here, am I looking at the wrong section in the list ... (Q803~Q806) are in the sub-heading Power Supply?? Peter Venema was also talking about Q805/Q806.

k.
Hi Kristian,

The caps didn't get smaller all of a sudden, the 53/63 has a different PCB, with less room for big caps. The 57/67 PCB allows big 30mm caps. If you take a look at both manuals or the photo's you'll notice the difference.

Regards,

Ray
Old 29th November 2006, 09:40 PM   #4877
diyAudio Member

Things were twisted re. the cap size. Big caps before regs have never not been recommended by anyone to my knowledge.

The caps after the regs, or more specifically those next to the circuits they feed, are often said to be best kept small. The old TNT article is the exception to this, and my experience of using 4700uF at each location confirms that it works well.

However, the cap quality is more important than the size, it would seem. And when you factor in the physical size and cost of "premium" caps such as Black Gates, a smaller value is generally needed for practicality. I don't think anyone will tell you that a 4700uF Black Gate won't sound good next to the DAC's analogue pins, but it won't necessarily fit easily or be cost effective.

Simon
Old 29th November 2006, 10:19 PM   #4878
jksmurf is offline jksmurf  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c
Hi Kristian, The caps didn't get smaller all of a sudden, the 53/63 has a different PCB, with less room for big caps. The 57/67 PCB allows big 30mm caps. If you take a look at both manuals or the photo's you'll notice the difference. Regards, Ray
Doh, OK I get that one 53/63 vs 57/67. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Venema Ray,
I have changed C805, C806 from 4700uF/25V no name to 470/16V BG and i finally have found the sound i'm looking for.
Quote:
Originally posted by 65hcAnd there are reports that big caps around the DAC and opamps, like 1000u, also don't sound good. Most of the times I use 220...470u in those places.
But I am still confused about this (sorry for sounding so daft but you all know what you are talking about). Peter seemed to have initially installed the 4700u from "the lists", went to a (admittedly) very good BG 470u and you said (paraphrased) "that's fine its a good cap" (which I understand) BUT then you went onto mention 1000u as being a big cap for around the DAC and Opamps.

Am I confusing C805 C806 with "around the DAC and Opamps". If so, can someone please tell me (with numbers if possible) exactly what is meant by the oft-referred to phrase "around the DAC and Opamps". Is it all the caps listed in the sections of the lists or just some?

k.
Old 29th November 2006, 10:25 PM   #4879
jksmurf is offline jksmurf  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
Things were twisted re. the cap size. Big caps before regs have never not been recommended by anyone to my knowledge.

The caps after the regs, or more specifically those next to the circuits they feed, are often said to be best kept small. The old TNT article is the exception to this, and my experience of using 4700uF at each location confirms that it works well.
Simon
Quote:
by Rowemeister
The general rule I stick too (through experimenting) is use large caps after TX (4700uF) and not quite so large on the input of a reg(3300uF). After a reg ill use a something like 220uF of 470uF. And then a cap of around 220uf - 470uF like a BG or Silmic next to the item recieving the voltage.
Thanks Simon, I remember reading back Brent where he says he uses says 3300uF on the input of a reg. (for a Tx)????

k.
Old 29th November 2006, 11:48 PM   #4880
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jksmurf

Thanks Simon, I remember reading back Brent where he says he uses says 3300uF on the input of a reg. (for a Tx)????

k.
Big before the reg, smaller/higher quality after the reg. Best quality cap directly next to the circuit being fed.

"Around the DAC and opamps" refers to those caps local to those circuits. That is nothing specifically to do with the caps before or after the regulators.

Simon

Hide this!Advertise here!