Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
riccardo said:

Take a look on service mode in service manual.
focus information come from TDA 1301 pin 23 to Q106 pin 3, Radial from pin22 to pin 1 .
But spindle motor is a question of decoder from pin 22 (E) (signal 16, pag 16 of service manual) to pin 7 of QM01 and from QF01 pin 17 (F) to pin 3 of QM01
What is tension on pin of Q106? 9 to 16 and 4 for v- from R149 and pin 2 from R150.
Look immediatly to R149 and R150

Hi Riccardo

The IC Q106 seems to be shorted inside.... any Idea what should be the cause of this ?

I just ordered some samples from ON semiconductors... (TCA0372DP2G) hope the ICs are equal to Motorola´s...

Ricardo

rowemeister said:
I paid £50 for mine not reading cds. ;)

Brent

Hi Simon

Paid £60 for mine not reading CD's - turned out to be a loose wire to the sled position switch............:)

However my clumsiness when modding late at night means I had to spend £30 on a 63SE not reading discs, then another £30 on a 63SE not reading discs, as the KI blows fuses even with all the original regs except 18v and all the main PSU caps removed!:(

Oh, and the 63SE I bought to replace that board now has no output from the left channel after I shorted one of the custom regs to ground and blew the fuses, hence the second 63SE!!:mad:

So, you see, your price doesn't seem as bad now, eh?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Ricardo

Bummer about the servo chips.....

I think that might be the problem with my KI board, so I'm going to have yet another try to fix it, or at least track down the problem.

To be honest, I've been a bit scared of desoldering chips because they are very heat sensitive, but you've encouraged me to have a go.

If I have any success or can help in any way, will let you know.

Good luck with yours.

Jim

jimh0612 said:

Hi Simon

Paid £60 for mine not reading CD's - turned out to be a loose wire to the sled position switch............:)

However my clumsiness when modding late at night means I had to spend £30 on a 63SE not reading discs, then another £30 on a 63SE not reading discs, as the KI blows fuses even with all the original regs except 18v and all the main PSU caps removed!:(

Oh, and the 63SE I bought to replace that board now has no output from the left channel after I shorted one of the custom regs to ground and blew the fuses, hence the second 63SE!!:mad:

So, you see, your price doesn't seem as bad now, eh?

Cheers

Jim

LMAO

Well if we are talking about rebuilds Simon is on his 3rd board :D

Me.... well still the original ;)

Brent

Re: toroidal transformer in 8400

stvnharr said:
Ray,
In your 8400 modifications you've used a toroidal transformer for the analog supply, pictured here: http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/ra.vdsteen/pictures/sa8400/SA8400_toroid_1.jpg
What specification transformer did you use? Nothing is listed where you listed everything.
Thanks.

Hi,

That's a small 2x12V toroid from Farnell. Both the 5VA (953-1513) or 7VA (953-1599) can be used. I'll update the page with this info, thanks!

Regards,

Ray

rowemeister said:
Your best bet is to remove the chip and solder in a socket. This way its easier to change in the future lol.

Ricardo you must have shorted the supply rail to an input rail.

Brent

Ha Ha!

Not intending to repeat THAT stupidity again!!

Shorting supply to input rail is probably what I did, so that's where I'm going to check when I get chance.

Wish me luck!!

Jim

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Your best bet is to remove the chip and solder in a socket. This way its easier to change in the future lol.

Ricardo you must have shorted the supply rail to an input rail. These are basically only opamps with the capability to drive motors etc

Hi Brent

Maybe the socket is not a joke at all.... I will avoid heating the IC during soldering and.... I really am not sure the cause of the problem was my inadvertedly shunting pins 3 and 2...

Before I did that bad move, the cd was not playing.... I already had Err10... and the IC was overheating.

It only started to blow fuses after the "shunt".

So maybe the problem is still there.... so the socket might come handy.

Regards

Ricardo

skipping probs

Hi all, this is an awesome thread indeed!

I too have a problem with a CD53, maybe someone could help. It skipps/stopps on some tracks on original CDs. Especially towards the end. One can hear and see wobbling of the pickup at that time - some focusing/tracking problem ? I replaced the original cmd12.1 with vam1202 and no change. What else could it be ? Aged caps around servo & drivers ? Voltages seem to be ok. Does this vam drive need any adjustments ? (did silicone grease - no change).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Pawel

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Check the gear on the mech, take it out and look to see if any of the teeth are damaged. Also when the grease is cleaned off the guide bar a little oil maybe required as the laser can stick on the bar.
Hi Brent

The new Q106 IC arrived and is now in place.

I am not having any trouble related with heating or glowing fuses now but the player does not work correctly.

It can read a disk for 1 minute and than stops.

In service mode I have the following info:
Mode 0 (P00) - The sled moves outside when pressing CUE REVIEW

Mode 1 (P01) (Focus on) - The lens keeps poping up and down

Mode 2 (P02) (Focus and sindle on) - The disc turns

Mode 3 (P03) (Focus spindle radial on) - The sled moves outside by itself and the lens keeps poping up and down and the discs spins 1/2sec to the right 1/2 sec to the left intermitently.

When in Mode 0, if I press play, I get Err10

Can you please suggest a corrective action ?

What is the most probable cause of this misbehaviour ?

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Brent,

did that already, no change, but you wrote some time ago about adjusting the torx screws, what were the symptoms then ?
and it's the same place where the lens begins to oscillate on both pickups.

Ricardo-> mine Q106 becomes hot too, I just noticed it yesterday. If I touch it with the finger it feels normal, then becomes hotter and hotter until it's too hot :) How does it look like in your CDP ?

I also replaced the caps (electrolytic) in the servo section, apart from the LDON support (2.2/50) with some chemicon KZE 470/16 or 470/10 (depending on voltage). I just had them around, specs look similar to pana FM/FC. As I said, no improvement in regards to tracking :(

Greetings,
Pawel
P.S. If I have some time I'll borrow a scope for the weekend.

RCruz said:

It can read a disk for 1 minute and than stops.

The sled moves outside by itself and the lens keeps poping up and down and the discs spins 1/2sec to the right 1/2 sec to the left intermitently.

What is the most probable cause of this misbehaviour ?

Regards

Ricardo

Usually when the disc spins one way and then another it's caused by the servo section. Often the RF signal is not right. Have you done the coax mod? Also think about bypassing the ribbon from mech to main pcb as this causes no end of problems.

Brent

pzogal said:
Hi Brent,

did that already, no change, but you wrote some time ago about adjusting the torx screws, what were the symptoms then ?
and it's the same place where the lens begins to oscillate on both pickups.

Greetings,
Pawel
QUOTE]

Often when fitting a VAM12 I found the torx screws needed adjusting (grating) but this is when the disc plays perfect but struggles to track across the disc when selecting specific tracks.
This is not your problem so please do not adjust these screws.

Firstly lets confirm the mech is not causing the problem (this is a method I use). Remove mech from cd player, remove any disc. Connect a power supply to the sled motor (blue/white wires). And add a very low voltage (start from 0v and adjust the volts up) so the motor just starts to move very slowly, and watch it carefully. Look for it sticking or juddering. It should run smooth all the way to the end. If not theis is your problem. Drip a blob of oil on your finger and rub it onto the bar and of course double check all the teeth on the gear. They don't break they get distorted.

Let us know how you get on

Brent

Thanks Brent!

I'll try it with a lab PSU. I disassembled the gear few days ago and it looked OK, neither broken nor distorted teeth.
The next step would be a scope I suppose.
For now the suspects for me are Q106 and servo. I'll report as soon as I have new data :) Btw, one could compile a book "how do I repair my broken marantz cdp" from this thread :)
Greetings,
P.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:

Usually when the disc spins one way and then another it's caused by the servo section. Often the RF signal is not right. Have you done the coax mod? Also think about bypassing the ribbon from mech to main pcb as this causes no end of problems.

Thank you Brent

I left the player on during the night and now it is working perfectly... Maybe the problem is in the ribbon... Should I replace it with individual wiring ?

I did not do the coax modd yet.

Ricardo