Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

SimontY said:

:apathic: :bawling: :redhot: :yell: :crackup:

lol, I thought Lee was probably about 35.

Ha, thanks very much. I could live with being old beyond my years, if also meant being wise beyond them. But I'm not sure that applies here!

Anyway, I fitted one of Brent's C1 clocks in to a KI earlier. I estimate it to be at least as good as my Audiocom Superclock2. I have now also added a D1 divide circuit and had a listen for an hour or so. The level of separation and detail is fantastic. They are one hell of an audio bargain. The sound is very, very clean and neutral.

Great product Brent. I like the way you can easily add S-Power regs to them, nice touch.

Cheers,

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
No probs.

I am currently trying to figure out how to fit in my S-Power reg to dac analog.

I daren't take the board out!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Lee

Hi Lee

Nice pic....;) Impressive work

I see you are using the stock transformer.... is it any good or why do you keep it?

I have a CD53 that has a similar item. Actually I am using only the digital PSU and circuit because I use an external dac.

I recently bought some special:hot: opamps and for the analog output and would like to know if I can use the stock transformer for digital only and another transformer (bigger toroid) for the analog section.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
When removing the phones cct I cut the links U271 and U272 (v to opamp)

Also remove C901 C901 (audio to phones)

If you have bypassed the muting there is no gain in removing anything else.
Thanks !

I already cut U271 and U272.... next will be the C901 902.

Now what about U221 ? As I see a power line +5V running along the digital output line ... my player does not have any optical digital out so the power line goes to nowhere.

:confused:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
U Links in CD 53

Hi Ray

I am having trouble with your information regarding how to disable muting circuit.

Quote from the PDF "- Disable headphone circuit: remove C901/902 (signal) and jumpers U271/272 (+/- 12V).
- Disable muting circuit: remove QN05...08, QN24/25/91/92 and RN27/28 (cuts analog -12V to muting circuit). Remove U207 and U262 and cut trace there to disable traces running to headphone section.
Decouple each muting line to GND with 2x 100n/X7R at junctions U222/223 and output side to remove noise coupled-in to analog section from digital-out that runs in parallel with muting lines for several inches!!"

In the CD53 the U222 = RMUT+V and U220 = LMUT+V... U223 is related with U224 and seem to me related with power for muting circuit.

What is the correlation between U222 and 223 ?

Regards

Ricardo

2sk170

Hi there..

Anyone knows anything about 2sk170-dr ?? Can't find any info about that -dr

Anyone ?

edit: if my supplier has typo'ed - and it's 2sk170gr, will that be sufficient in the curcuit.

"2SK170 has different Idss classification:

GR(2.6-6.5mA)
BL(6.0-12mA)
V(10-20mA)"

RCruz said:

Hi Lee

Nice pic....;) Impressive work

I see you are using the stock transformer.... is it any good or why do you keep it?

I have a CD53 that has a similar item. Actually I am using only the digital PSU and circuit because I use an external dac.

I recently bought some special:hot: opamps and for the analog output and would like to know if I can use the stock transformer for digital only and another transformer (bigger toroid) for the analog section.

Regards

Ricardo

Hi & thanks. I've kept the tx because it's the se version and is fairly good. The digital & analog rails are supplied by a 30va tx mounted where the power switch used to be.

Can anyone tell me why I would get a crackling sound along with music in the left channel of my KI? It only happens when the player has been playing for a while, if I switch off and then on again it goes away but comes back again later:confused:

Lee.

Thomo said:
Can anyone tell me why I would get a crackling sound along with music in the left channel of my KI? It only happens when the player has been playing for a while, if I switch off and then on again it goes away but comes back again later:confused:

I had that! Very annoying it was too. No idea what caused it. I think it only went after rebuilding the player onto a different pcb after "grenading".

Re: 2sk170

avr300 said:
Hi there..

Anyone knows anything about 2sk170-dr ?? Can't find any info about that -dr

Anyone ?

edit: if my supplier has typo'ed - and it's 2sk170gr, will that be sufficient in the curcuit.

"2SK170 has different Idss classification:

GR(2.6-6.5mA)
BL(6.0-12mA)
V(10-20mA)"

Not sure of the DR never seen it before, we use the BL on our discrete pcbs.

Brent

cd 63se and ezdac

hi i think that this is more a question for ray, but any help would be appreciated as my knowledge is limited, having just purchased the new ezdac pcb, im thinking of connecting it directly to the 12s output of the player, and i was also thinking of using your output stage rather than the output stage on the ezdac, does anyone have any ideas of the best way to do this?

thanks

chris