Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I for one like to see someone doing their own thing. Great stuff.

I thought I may have over-done things with 2200uF BG FK for cd15 & cd16 on the dac. I guess not!

I plan to build my off-board opamp psu from the spare parts bin tomorrow. 100va 2x25v tx + schottkies + 10,000uF BC Components. I will house this in my pre-amp (pm66KI case).

Lee.

Yes, some parts are left out, such as the power supply resistors for the hdam. Which parts are you concerned about?

You can use the search thread function as pretty much everything has been covered (somewhere), and there are many nice people here who will help you out, as they have me many, many times:D

Lee.

Thomo said:

I thought I may have over-done things with 2200uF BG FK for cd15 & cd16 on the dac. I guess not!

I plan to build my off-board opamp psu from the spare parts bin tomorrow. 100va 2x25v tx + schottkies + 10,000uF BC Components. I will house this in my pre-amp (pm66KI case).

Lee.

Ditto on the large cap

The gains will be nice on that external psu, make sure you use nice cable between. I personally wound try someting like a Kimber weave.

Also I too am looking into fitting 2x 10000uF Aerovox into mine for the discrete section. But I feel these will not fit. I have worked wonders before though LOL

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

Lee.

rowemeister said:

Ditto on the large cap

The gains will be nice on that external psu, make sure you use nice cable between. I personally wound try someting like a Kimber weave.

Also I too am looking into fitting 2x 10000uF Aerovox into mine for the discrete section. But I feel these will not fit. I have worked wonders before though LOL

Brent

Thank you guys for your understanding.. :scratch1:

Th e idea of the Big caps following the digital regulator came from my CDM12 Steinmusic. (It really makes a big difference because you loose de high freq compression "fast loud drum beats come cler" so basically you get more Headroom.)

Following your instructions I just bought two LM4562NA from Sercal (I will be interested in the servo clock latter) and am now very interested in your findings Lee.

I want to make an external PSU for the analog part. Can you advise on the Transformer ?

Regards

Ricardo

:crazy: :scratch1:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
RCruz said:

I want to make an external PSU for the analog part. Can you advise on the Transformer ?
:scratch1:
Hi everyone

Just replaced the el caps around the drivers and the result was a lot of control in the low Bass. Great mod inded....

My player is already sounding very good but I am still using an external dac.

Whould it be possible to shut down the analog stage so that the transformer would only feed the digital parts ?

Also, I cut off the underside of my player since it is good to solder one or two components every night and not needing to dismantle the PCB.

Now I need some copper colored screws to put the lid back under the player....

:hot: :confused: Can anyone help me find some ?

Ricardo

I remember reading somewhere before that it is bad to use low esr caps at the output of an lm317 reg. Does anyone have any experience of this? What side-effects would this cause?

I already use Silmics there, but as the regs are for dac/decoder digital I would like to use caps more suitable such as BlackGates or Rubycon ZL/ZA.

Lee.

Yes, they tents to oscillate. Keep a fairly standard cap right after the reg and use the low esr at the consumer as local decoupling.

And even if they don't oscillate, I don't find low esr's any good in analog. I find the sound dull and lifeless with low esr in analog.

They are however brilliant in decoupling digital supply lines,

Me too, these regs are for digital.

I decided to experiment, I have used 2200uF BG FK after the rectifier with a solid core wire to the reg. I have used 220uF BG FK immediately before the lm317 with the output straight into the board and just using the BG NX Hi-Q's that are next to the chip. It seems you can't win! Best low esr for digital, but don't use them after LM317.

Best way to learn is to play about I think (and also to use Simon's tried and tested "Duck & Cover" switch-on technique!)

I can't test tonight as I'm halfway through installing a 30va 2x9v tx for the digital & analogue supplies. I've had to remove the power switch and mkt cap but I didn't really use it anyway.

I'm also half-way through a nice Australian Shiraz:D

Cheers,

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Marantz cd 53 mods

Hi Ray

I am replacing my OpAmps soon and I have seen some pictures of a support that enables the opamps to be swapped.... Do you recommend this type of construction ?

If yes, can you please send some info where to get these parts ?

My CD 53 is better than ever before thanks to your work.

You where right (of course) about the C505 (I am now using a 2200pF styroflex) and now I have the highs and the low end bass as well.

Regards

Ricardo

Sorry, I have attached the wrong list. It is actually for CD52mkII. In the list, the author have list down the original parts but not the replacement part particularly for
R3692..R3695, R3641..R3645,
C2622--C2625,
C2626..C2629,
C2642/2643/2651/ 2652/2655/2656,
C2614/2620/2621/2640/2641,
C2630/2631 C2632/2633/C2634/2635,
R3611/3613/3614/3625/3626
& etc..

For CD63, its ok. I will start the mods for CD63 after I finish CD52. I attach the list again now.

Attachments

• cd52mkii_mods.pdf
    54 KB · Views: 74
Re: Marantz cd 53 mods

RCruz said:
I am replacing my OpAmps soon and I have seen some pictures of a support that enables the opamps to be swapped.... Do you recommend this type of construction ?

Hi,

These parts are 8-way DIL (or DIP) sockets, recommended because they have minimal impact on sound quality, which is easily offset by the ability to quickly swap op-amps for testing.

Search in your favourite stores for "8 way turned pin DIL socket".

Here's an example. The "turned pin" varieties are the ones to go for:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1023046

The picture doesn't show the actual product, but a more pinned version of the same family.

Simon

ps - I once skewered my finger with one of these sockets, which was nice :whazzat: