Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Re: Re: Re: Group Buy - Back on ?

poynton said:
I will only make one comment....

Yes, it is a shame that people, who have an obvious talent and enthusiasm and who could make / have made an invaluable contribution to this forum, have been banned. However, they did bring it on themselves with sniping and crude remarks at people of lesser talent or newcomers to the forum and in displaying at times a generally unhelpful attitude. [ ........'search the forum, it's there !' .......] This thread shows that there is nothing to be gained by this type of attitude. Ray and Rowe, for example, have been helpful in the extreme to newbies and people of lesser technical knowledge but have shown great patience. They are to be commended !

Andy

Hear hear too, and thank you for your kind words Andy!

Ray.

SimontY said:
No doubt Ray has cooked up an über-treat too, although he seems to use various players and I'm not sure if any single one is 'complete'.

Simon

über-treat, I like that :D. I will call mine CD67-UT :yes:.

poynton said:
point c..........he atered the filter role off to Bessel and checked thephase etc much as Ray did. He says it was tricky...was it, Ray ??

Andy

Nah, not that hard. Sure as hell didn't get paid for it that much...:whazzat:

Did I mention I sold my modded CD63 last week? Got a fair price for it, very nice! The guy is very happy with it. It took some efford to convince him, though...

Regards,

Ray.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Group Buy - Back on ?

poynton said:

I will only make one comment....

Yes, it is a shame that people, who have an obvious talent and enthusiasm and who could make / have made an invaluable contribution to this forum, have been banned. However, they did bring it on themselves with sniping and crude remarks at people of lesser talent or newcomers to the forum and in displaying at times a generally unhelpful attitude. [ ........'search the forum, it's there !' .......] This thread shows that there is nothing to be gained by this type of attitude. Ray and Rowe, for example, have been helpful in the extreme to newbies and people of lesser technical knowledge but have shown great patience. They are to be commended !

Andy

well said andy

allan

6h5c said:
über-treat, I like that :D. I will call mine CD67-UT :yes:.

Did I mention I sold my modded CD63 last week?

Hi Ray, I think CD67-UT sounds good :cool:

I ought to name mine CD63-PL, based on how clumsy I've been doing some of the soldering. Can you guess what it stands for? :confused:

I don't remember you mentioning the sale.. Why did you do that? Do you prefer your 67?

Si

ps - I'm working on the flipflop pcb thing :D :smash:

6h5c said:

Did I mention I sold my modded CD63 last week? Got a fair price for it, very nice! The guy is very happy with it. It took some efford to convince him, though...

Regards,

Ray.

it's amazing how a brand name can be so convincing to the ears? an expensive case helps too.

allan

ps ray, andy and brent
thanks for all the advise and info on these mods

still need to try the fet buffer yet,
I will do but want to try the wolson dac from i2s on the philips.

Re: Re: CD63 Logic Problem??

6h5c said:
Hi Champi,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoy this thread and got to modding your player again.
However, the latest event is less fortunate of course....

When you swapped the clock line for coax, did you take out C521 and couple the pins directly and put the coax in instead? The reason I ask is because when I was looking at it in my CD67 I noticed a DC component of about half the supply voltage on the clock-input of the SAA. That's the main reason Marantz put a 470R resistor in series with this line. In a CD63 I modded a while ago there was a 390R resistor in place of U193 and a series input cap.

Bottom line is: could it be this DC component has destroyed something? I noticed a fair amount of DC current flowing when I tried to lower the 470R resistor.

Regards,

Ray.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your suggestions:). I'd love to have said that this was the cause, but I did not take out either C521 or U193 :(. They are still original values.... all I did was replace the PCB track with coax. I cut the PCB track from U193 to C521 and put the coax in place. Any ideas as to what else it may be? :(

rowemeister said:

Hi

Glad you like the mods. ;)

Your problem is not caused by the crystal.
To me its micro processor related. Check the 5V to the processor.
You may have a crack or dry joint in the pcb and this missing V rail or gnd is causing problems.

Brent

Thanks very much Brent.... something to check this evening :) ...so there's still hope :xfingers: I'll keep you guys posted...this one really has me stumped!

Cheers Guys,
Champi

P.S. This is a pic of my 63's internals:

Attachments

• cd63 inner-03.jpg
    cd63 inner-03.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 392
Given the length of this thread I am really confused as to what the mods are.

Is there anyway to catalog the mods done to teh CD63. I have a CD63KI that I would like to mod too but beyond being able to wield a soldering iron I have no experience in this sort of work.

I would feel much more confident if the mods were cataloged so that lesser souls like me could mod in an orgnaised manner.

navin said:
Given the length of this thread I am really confused as to what the mods are.

Is there anyway to catalog the mods done to teh CD63. I have a CD63KI that I would like to mod too but beyond being able to wield a soldering iron I have no experience in this sort of work.

I would feel much more confident if the mods were cataloged so that lesser souls like me could mod in an orgnaised manner.

Here is my mods list

Attachments

• rowemeisters cd63 ki mods.zip
    79.5 KB · Views: 95
SimontY said:
Morning all,

Nice job on the pics Brent, did you lift them off Ebay? :cool:

Black Gates, nice, but nothing we can't do for a few quid ;)

Also, multi-coloured fuses! lol :smash:

The other thing I see is some caps, probably originally polyester, are now a different type.

Simon

Those fuses are standard!

A guy was selling it on ebay and I got him to take some pics.

There is not £500 worth of upgrades, and why make the strut bar copper?

Brent

rowemeister said:

Those fuses are standard!

A guy was selling it on ebay and I got him to take some pics.

There is not £500 worth of upgrades, and why make the strut bar copper?

Brent

My fuses are clear! £500 because it's a one-off maybe?? It's just a fun marketing exercise. If it had some real upgrades the untrained eye wouldn't know it and it'd not be exciting. But it has shiny copper plating to hint at something special. I'd like that strut bar :D

Si

poynton said:

copper plated !!!

Note also the extensive use of chassis damping, chip screening, higher quality sockets, iec mains socket and so on...

Andy

lol! Oh yes, upgrades everywhere you look! Really though, what would happen if he properly upgraded it like we do? It'd rival Marantz models like the CD17ki and beyond and that would surely confuse people...

SimontY said:

lol! Oh yes, upgrades everywhere you look! Really though, what would happen if he properly upgraded it like we do? It'd rival Marantz models like the CD17ki and beyond and that would surely confuse people...

I thinkthat the marketing people think that the more letters they can fit . the better the product .. a bit like some of the Japanese cars

Marantz cd-63 Special Edition KI DP DAHM Turbo-Clock Super Dooper Screened gizmo with built-in fire extinguishers and occaisional display mode!

poynton said:

I thinkthat the marketing people think that the more letters they can fit . the better the product .. a bit like some of the Japanese cars

Marantz cd-63 Special Edition KI DP DAHM Turbo-Clock Super Dooper Screened gizmo with built-in fire extinguishers and occaisional display mode!

what does DAHM stand for???:xeye:

Next Marantz cd-63 Special Edition KI DP DAHM LE

ultimate is/will be
Marantz cd-63 Special Edition KI DP DAHM LE ZZZ.:D

allan:clown: