Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cd65

6h5c said:

Hi Allan,

No, not yet. Only some bits and pieces here and there. I'm thinking about buying it :eek:.
I just got a quote for 30 euro from a company here in Holland.

Regards,

Ray.

Hi ray
that site i gave for the phillips is usually 1 to 2 days response for the manual
I hvn't rec'd anything yet, give them some time.

allan

ps I miss jocko:D

Re: Group Buy - Back on ?

poynton said:
Hi.

Has everyone seen that the terrible twins, Elso and Jocko, have been banned from the forum?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79338

Andy

Andy,

Not too sure about the group buy thing...

The 'forums' seem to be at war now which is a shame.

Does anyone have details of the KI DP CD63 Hifi-World performed by Ken Ishiwata ?

Re: Re: Group Buy - Back on ?

ash_dac said:

Does anyone have details of the KI DP CD63 Hifi-World performed by Ken Ishiwata ?

Hi.

High quality image posted at :-

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=102621

It seems a lot of money for some spray paint and a handful of capacitors !

Andy

PS I can post the rest of the article but it is a chat with KI and does not give any info.

Re: Re: Re: Group Buy - Back on ?

awpagan said:

ps I miss jocko:D

ash_dac said:

The 'forums' seem to be at war now which is a shame.

awpagan said:

I like a good gee up:D :D :D

I will only make one comment....

Yes, it is a shame that people, who have an obvious talent and enthusiasm and who could make / have made an invaluable contribution to this forum, have been banned. However, they did bring it on themselves with sniping and crude remarks at people of lesser talent or newcomers to the forum and in displaying at times a generally unhelpful attitude. [ ........'search the forum, it's there !' .......] This thread shows that there is nothing to be gained by this type of attitude. Ray and Rowe, for example, have been helpful in the extreme to newbies and people of lesser technical knowledge but have shown great patience. They are to be commended !

Andy

poynton said:
I, for one, would like to hear the KI DP, the Tenzing modded KI63 and one of this forum's efforts !

I wonder what the result would be ?

Andy

I'd love to too. I expect the DP would sound veiled and lifeless, the Tenzing amazing, and the forums' efforts varying wildly!!! I know what mine sounds like (pretty impressive) and Brent's machine has everything mine has plus MUCH more so it must be stupendously good. No doubt Ray has cooked up an über-treat too, although he seems to use various players and I'm not sure if any single one is 'complete'. Do you use one highly modded machine Andy?

Simon

ash_dac said:

Not to critcise the great Ken but I get the idea he has a standard script that he follows.

edit: sorry he has a database of capacitors

Seems he distorts the sound to what DP will like!

I found the interview there amusing. I'm sure it's a nice player, but changing some psu caps only has so much effect on the sound. What about the poor quality op-amps, poor psus and poor grounding arrangements? Clearly this one-off was just a bit of fun done as cheaply as possible and can't be mistaken for high end.

Si

Re: Re: Re: Re: Group Buy - Back on ?

poynton said:
Yes, it is a shame that people, who have an obvious talent and enthusiasm and who could make / have made an invaluable contribution to this forum, have been banned. However, they did bring it on themselves with sniping and crude remarks at people of lesser talent or newcomers to the forum and in displaying at times a generally unhelpful attitude. [ ........'search the forum, it's there !' .......] This thread shows that there is nothing to be gained by this type of attitude. Ray and Rowe, for example, have been helpful in the extreme to newbies and people of lesser technical knowledge bur have shown great patience. They are to be commended !
Andy

Hear hear! :up:

ash_dac said:

Not to critcise the great Ken but I get the idea he has a standard script that he follows.

Is he a designer or an engineer ?

Agreed.

Point a.....The copper plating seems, like the DAHMs, something of a marketting exercise. Reducing the ground impedance is good.. but only when the chassis, cover and front panel are used as ground ? If it reduces eddy currents, surely it would be better to remove the source?

point b.............he changed the psu capacitors for Black Gates?? lower ESR therefore the switch on surge is higher hence higher value fuses. Changing to Copper wire rather than the standard plated steel is something mentioned on the forum ! He then changed more caps, probably Black Gates around the rest of the DAC/Audio stages.

point c..........he atered the filter role off to Bessel and checked thephase etc much as Ray did. He says it was tricky...was it, Ray ??

point d.......then he changed some more caps.

NO EXTRA REGS ? NO COAX ? NO Op-Amps ?
All for £1000 ?

Is it worth it?

Andy

SimontY said:

Do you use one highly modded machine Andy?

One day I will update my signature !!!!
But the Avatar may give you 1 clue .

Magnaplanar SMGAs, Beard P100, Modded Kenwood DP-1100SG [do a Google !]

Plus Marantz CD63, CD60, CD4000, Philips CD104, CD204, CD303, CD723, Siemens RA400, Arcam A6 plus many more !!!!!!!

Plus halfway through building own-design OTL/OCL tube amp.

I bought my first CD-player in 1981, a CD100, and that was the last time I played with tick/scratch/rumble !

Andy