AD1865N-K nos DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Konnichiwa,

tube-lover said:
I had one question, Do U had any experience which compare the sound quality about 1541a NON-oversampling & PCM56 NON-oversampling.

Not directly heads on. But the PCM56 does not quite have the "Magic" the 1541 has, but then again nothing else so far has.

I'd probably think it marginally up on the TDA1541, just like the PCM63.

tube-lover said:
any comment for PCM67P??

Not really, the 67 is a "cut down" 63. So I only worked with PCM63 (and 1702/1704).

Sayonara

Believe me I believe you... OK, so before being too philosophical, I thought that TDA1541 was the second best DAC I was interested. Like I prefer Audio Note to 47Labs, but I wish if I could afford even a 47Labs system.

So, because the much better DIY support and the direct I2S link capability of the TDA it is strongly advised for me to use it. Your list is very cool; I like the order. I think if it is your favourite, you must have a favourite DIY plan for that. Could you post (or mail) one link? There are many plans, and just by reading them I couldn't decide what to choose, I don't have enough knowledge to evaluate just by looking at schematics. For being more specific, I really like the tube sound, so maybe a tube output is better to my taste.

And something else: is it better to have this DAC paralleled, or not? I like the simplicity of non-oversampling dacs, and I think that a real non-oversampling dac is using only one (or one per channel) dac chip. Is it true even for this chip, or there is some 'magical' configuration like 4x piggybacked?

Konnichiwa,

erozsolt said:
I think if it is your favourite, you must have a favourite DIY plan for that.

Not really. A long time back I designed the "Adagio" DAC around the TDA1541, some notes are on my wesite at thunderstoneaudio.nav.to.

erozsolt said:
And something else: is it better to have this DAC paralleled, or not?

Here is another contentious topic. I personally tend to think it depends highly on implementation. If in doubt I would always stick to 1 DAC without paralleling.

But the best ever commercial DAC I heard had 16pcs PCM56 in parallel per channel.

Sayonara

Dear Thorsten,

But the best ever commercial DAC I heard had 16pcs PCM56 in parallel per channel.

can U advise some information( sound quality)m of PCM56K 2~8~16 pcs.

I had some PCM56K on hand, I would like to build a PCM56K DAC to test.

thanks for your advise.

thx

thomas

Attachments

• p1010097.jpg
    p1010097.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,098
Re: something about dacs...

Konnichiwa,

Bricolo said:
Hi Thorsten, I sent you a mail on your hotmail adress, did you get it?

The Hotmail Address is now dead. I recently got one of them Phone/Computer/Mobile E-mail etc Palmtop thingeys and needed to use POP3 E-mails plus hotmail had way too much spam.

You can mail me through the diyaudio mail...

Sayonara

Hey guys,

actually I've finished this AD1865 NONOS dac, wow!! sounds really good!!

By the way there is a problem, I don't know if it occurs only on me or somebody else had this problem. It seems that the dac needs times to setting itself, I mean that the dac has some kind of jitter(lost of sound) in the beginning and dampens after a few seconds. What could cause this thing happen? Can somebody help me? thanks!!

*Can anybody tell me if it works also with the AD1868 dac? (I tried it but nothing came out...)

I'll try with 2×PCM61 later, hehe!!

Mincy

Hello wmincy

I can't answer your question about setting time for the dac, but may i ask you something about ad1865 (18bits dac) and 16 bits stream from a CD without oversamplig ?

I'm making a nonos Dac with ad1865 and cs8414 as receiver.

I wired the 8414 in mode 6 : 18 bits lsb justified.
In this configuration, the actives 16 bits from the CD will be in LSB or MSB ? I can't find the answer in the datasheet of the 8414.

Do you know how is managed this 16 to 18 bits translation ?

Philippe

philbyx said:
Hello wmincy

I can't answer your question about setting time for the dac, but may i ask you something about ad1865 (18bits dac) and 16 bits stream from a CD without oversamplig ?

I'm making a nonos Dac with ad1865 and cs8414 as receiver.

I wired the 8414 in mode 6 : 18 bits lsb justified.
In this configuration, the actives 16 bits from the CD will be in LSB or MSB ? I can't find the answer in the datasheet of the 8414.

Do you know how is managed this 16 to 18 bits translation ?

Philippe
The zeros are the two lowest bits.

philbyx said:
Wouah!!! Elso, you are so quick to answer!!!!

This means that the signal is maximum ?
Then, max for 16 bits --> max for 18 bits?

Then it's OK.

Philippe
Yes Philippe, My first NON-OS experiment was in a Sony player where I connected the decoder chip directly to the AD1864. Sound was better than with the digital filter but notably lower in volume.

:cool:

One drawing error I noticed is that the line that should conncet to sdata connects to verf...

I am also mounting this circuit and found the connection to pin 28 weird. But that line goes to pin 26...if I understood it well from the quote above.

After concluding this DAC I will start a NON-OS based on TDA1541A. Recently I bought a sony cd player (CDP-207ES) which has two TDA1541A R1.

Erik

Hi

I have another question about the ad1865 :
on the analog outputs of this DAC, we have the pins :

Iout : this one, I know what to do;)

SJ : negative input of the internal aop
RF : Internal feedback resistor
Vout : internal aop output

As I will make a U/I converter (Pass D1), what do I do with those pins ?

I think to wire SJ to the analog ground, but for the other ones ?
Must I load the aop output ?

Philippe

Attachments

• 1865.jpg
    1865.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 2,013
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.