Fake or real?

Hi!
I just bought this for ~ 5 USD.
Is it fake?

Attachments

• d7a_1_big.jpg
    d7a_1_big.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 755
Well, if you want to bring fake 1541A on the market I think it is not very smart to put a production date on it that is immediately questioned. Isn't it?

This I agree with also as the photo I showed has a 06 manufacture date why go to the trouble and not even get the date right or the appearance for that matter .

Call me crazy but it seems they are still being manufactured the guy that was trying to sell me the TDA1514AS2 for $10 , it is not worth the sanding or reprinting effort if you ask me .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This I agree with also as the photo I showed has a 06 manufacture date why go to the trouble and not even get the date right or the appearance for that matter .

Call me crazy but it seems they are still being manufactured the guy that was trying to sell me the TDA1514AS2 for $10 , it is not worth the sanding or reprinting effort if you ask me .

I think 06 refers to the week, not year. So a date code as shown would signify the part shown was packaged during the sixth week of 1987.

Does not necessarily mean it is not a fake if the screen printing and other details don't match the known profiles at the time of manufacture.

It's a bit naive to assume that a $10 chip would not be faked, it could have cost the perpetrator a dollar or less each to make, providing a great profit on a relatively small quantity of parts. The average salaries in many parts of the world where these fake parts originate are <10% of pay in the West for comparable work.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, the chips were again in production in 2004. I had one of those and doubted it was real because of the date code. I sold my last batch including the 2004 chip with that remark to a forum member who already bought chips from Marantz Spain with exactly the same batch/date code. Please note these were laser engraved like modern chips and not stamped. BTW I seriously doubt the story that they were hand stamped in the eighties. AFAIK only the crown symbols were hand stamped.

The beloved TDA1541A is being produced again it seems ... Too bad for Ebay speculants.

Last edited:
I think 06 refers to the week, not year. So a date code as shown would signify the part shown was packaged during the sixth week of 1987.

Does not necessarily mean it is not a fake if the screen printing and other details don't match the known profiles at the time of manufacture.

If that is so then the 98 N2 TDA1541A's Jean Paul sold me would be manufactured in 04
and would then be considered fake's going on your assumptions .

It's a bit naive to assume that a $10 chip would not be faked, it could have cost the perpetrator a dollar or less each to make, providing a great profit on a relatively small quantity of parts. The average salaries in many parts of the world where these fake parts originate are <10% of pay in the West for comparable work.

Its a bit naive to assume that a $10 chip would be faked .

But I guess your living in China one would assume you would know of the average salaries there from your first hand experience .

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If that is so then the 98 N2 TDA1541A's Jean Paul sold me would be manufactured in 04
and would then be considered fake's going on your assumptions .

Its a bit naive to assume that a $10 chip would be faked .

But I guess your living in China one would assume you would know of the average salaries there from your first hand experience .

Need to re-read what I said, if as Paul indicated the chips were back in production in 2004 you would only need to take a look at known genuine production from that time period to know to some degree whether or not a chip might be fake.

Note that I never mentioned China in my original post so you made an assumption which may or may not be valid. Actually as a former employee of two semi-conductor automated test equipment companies I have fairly direct if second hand knowledge from Chinese employees I knew whilst working for those companies. Average salaries in China for a somewhat skilled production worker are on the order of a couple of dollars an hour, good engineers make about 1/3 what they do here in the USA. The statistics on Chinese wages are widely available if you google for them.

I'm sorry if you took offense at my comment about the economics of counterfeit parts, but I have had just a little bit of experience in the matter as a design engineer and it is a big problem even with very inexpensive parts.

I can't speak to whether or not these parts are actually fake or not, not having seen or more importantly tested them.. (Which might include depackaging and comparing die between devices of known and unknown origin.)

Last edited:
Need to re-read what I said, if as Paul indicated the chips were back in production in 2004 you would only need to take a look at known genuine production from that time period to know to some degree whether or not a chip might be fake.

Note that I never mentioned China in my original post so you made an assumption which may or may not be valid. Actually as a former employee of two semi-conductor automated test equipment companies I have fairly direct if second hand knowledge from Chinese employees I knew whilst working for those companies. Average salaries in China for a somewhat skilled production worker are on the order of a couple of dollars an hour, good engineers make about 1/3 what they do here in the USA. The statistics on Chinese wages are widely available if you google for them.

I'm sorry if you took offense at my comment about the economics of counterfeit parts, but I have had just a little bit of experience in the matter as a design engineer and it is a big problem even with very inexpensive parts.

I can't speak to whether or not these parts are actually fake or not, not having seen or more importantly tested them.. (Which might include depackaging and comparing die between devices of known and unknown origin.)

It is people such as yourself that takes out the enjoyment of being in such a forum as it has gone from the authenticity of a chip , to the injustice of world affairs and now to your unsurpassed knowledge because of your prior employment , please over come your own persona and just leave it be , if I wished to discuss politics and the injustice of world affairs I would be on some type of NBC news forum , which I suggest you try .

P.S. I think you summed it up yourself with "I can't speak to whether or not these parts are actually fake or not" because then you would know and not assume .

Hi, the chips were again in production in 2004. I had one of those and doubted it was real because of the date code. I sold my last batch including the 2004 chip with that remark to a forum member who already bought chips from Marantz Spain with exactly the same batch/date code. Please note these were laser engraved like modern chips and not stamped. BTW I seriously doubt the story that they were hand stamped in the eighties. AFAIK only the crown symbols were hand stamped.

The beloved TDA1541A is being produced again it seems ... Too bad for Ebay speculants.

How did the 2004 chip sound ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It is people such as yourself that takes out the enjoyment of being in such a forum as it has gone from the authenticity of a chip , to the injustice of world affairs and now to your unsurpassed knowledge because of your prior employment , please over come your own persona and just leave it be , if I wished to discuss politics and the injustice of world affairs I would be on some type of NBC news forum , which I suggest you try .

P.S. I think you summed it up yourself with "I can't speak to whether or not these parts are actually fake or not" because then you would know and not assume .

Nice chatting with you, you've pretty much said it all, have a nice evening. I'm off to the gym now.

Hi

I have 6 old TDA1541A that I was thinking of selling, had them since 2001 to build this project but never got around to it (that was me in the email)

see

source of tda1541a chips - steveor - Tweakers' Asylum

The text is 11121 HSH8918 2 , all have Philips logo

but did I understand that Jean-Paul state that they were now back in production so essentially worthless?

thanks
Steve

Here are attached pics, couldn't take photo last night

Attachments

• PB160181.jpg
    PB160181.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 745