Is this a real TDA1541A?

Attachments

• IMG_2299_resize.JPG
    IMG_2299_resize.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 551
I bought two and asked some probing questions. After testing them the seller discovered that the S2 were fake, changed the listing and dropped the price to $5 they also provided me with a refund. I'm disappointed to see after the information I supplied that they posted any HSH00xx chips out though.

The scratched surface gives them away, but note that the font is correct this time! (round 4 and A)
The indent near pin 1 does not to be there. And why are they scratched? Do these parts work or is it just a cheap IC in same case as TDA1541 and remarked?
If I receive non working chips I make official complaint at Ebay, start Paypal dispute and quickly evaluate to claim, give negative feedback in strongest terms possible.....

:mad::mad::mad:

Dual differential TD1541a

I have just paid for 2 from Analog Metric so hope they are the real thing!

I intend to piggy back them - not literally - on 2 pcbs mounted one above the other.
The outputs are connected to Sowter bifilar wound dual primary I/V transformers.

The data in on pin 3 is inverted to one dac - is this the correct method to achieve differential connection? (Sowter also suggest doing this)

(They'll be driven from a CS8414)

I

I bought two and asked some probing questions. After testing them the seller discovered that the S2 were fake, changed the listing and dropped the price to $5 they also provided me with a refund. I'm disappointed to see after the information I supplied that they posted any HSH00xx chips out though.

I also asked questions and were assured they were all genuine !!

What questions did you ask ???

Remind me -- what's the significance of HSH00xx ?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I asked

"What guarantee can you give that these S2s are genuine ?"

"The listing title is for TDA1541A but the photograph in the listing shows TDA1541AS2 (RSH9713) and TDA1541AR1 (HSH8940). If I purchase what type and datecode will you supply ?"

Then, after they responded, I made it clear to the seller that I was purchasing the TDA1541AS2 with RSH9713 date code and that part and only that part is what I expected them to deliver.

At this point they tested the S2 from their supplier and determined that they were fake and they refunded my payment in full.

I have noticed that the majority of the fakes have the date code HSH0123 or HSH00... As far as I am aware Philips had ceased production by the year 2000 (the code is 2 digit year and 2 digit week). I have stockpiled a fair number of 97 and 98 chips which I am happy are genuine. Philips may have made some 99 chips but I have never seen a 2000 chip yet that turned out to be genuine. (For that matter I haven't seen a genuine S1 or S2 from any year either - apart from one with an original purchase invoice from a Marantz dealer which I think was being sold by a diyaudio member !) It looked like someone on PFM had found a distributor with a supply of S1s a couple of years ago but sadly they too turned out to be fakes. I was interested in measuring how an original Holland 88 or 89 S1 compared to one of my Taiwan production 97 year chips. I have a theory that although the original chips were graded the later production were simply better anyway.

Someone (else) even had the cheek to send me a HHH9916 TDA1541 (not even an A) a few weeks ago. After I complained this was replaced by a TDA1541A HSH9518 which I haven't tested yet.

Another seller's modus operandi seemed to be to send out fake chips first and then only send out genuine chips to people who complained. I can't see how that can be good business !

Cheers,

Jon

QSerraTico_Tico, I have never ever seen a genuine TDA1540, TDA1541 or TDA1541A with an indent on pin 1, the notch at the top of the chip shows the location of pin 1. These chips must be remarked and can't be genuine. In fact come to think of it I can't think of any chips with a notch and an indent, so what could they be hmm ....

Fraud

I received the three "TDA1541A" from Chi Wing Industrial Trading.
The IC got too hot to touch and no sound!
It's plain and simple FRAUD! BEWARE!
:mad:
This is my 4th bad experience with Chinese sellers: Cmosdevices, bbshonic and eedesigner selling ICs that have been soldered before.

Last edited:
I received the three "TDA1541A" from Chi Wing Industrial Trading.
The IC got too hot to touch and no sound!
It's plain and simple FRAUD! BEWARE!
:mad:
This is my 4th bad experience with Chinese sellers: Cmosdevices, bbshonic and eedesigner selling ICs that have been soldered before.

What did the fakes look like ?

Please post a photo

or let us know the markings.

Andy