Playstation as CD-player

Re: Re: Re: Nice Pixs Kropo

djn04 said:

ATD-
can you tell us more about you enclosure?
Thanks

Hi

The main enclosure is made of dark 8mm polyvinyl chloride and the top plate is 2mm polycarbonate. The Faceplate is 20mm American Wallnut. It was kinda experimental work and the better one is coming hopefully before summer.

If there is something else you want to know, please don´t hesitate to ask.

hmm said:
I actually asked this before, but I still don't know. I actually bought a new ps1, but have the same problems, it won't play any cd-r's. I did all the adjustments, but it's just not helping. So I think I need to buy a new laser. I bought one already from richpsxparts, and it as faulty. I emailed them several times, and got no response, so...Can anyone recommend a place to buy a replacement laser assembly other then richspsxparts? Also, what would be the best replacement laser for for the scph-1001(ACM, ADM, BAM, AEM)?

I was considering ordering from http://cnn.cn/shop/sony-playstation-c-259_512.html but I don't know which one to order. Will the BAM work with the 1001? I just want to be able to play my cd-r's! lol

Thank you
Joe

I bought a "truckload" of KSM-440BAM units from cnn.cn some weeks ago. Very quick delivery. I have not used any of them yet, but I am 99% sure that you will have to replace the top cover of the BAM unit with the one on your defective drive to make the BAM unit fit in the PS1 chassis. There is a German site that describes this in detail: www. playfidelity.com.

The cnn BAMs do work...

For bequerel and hmm. I bought a couple of the cnn BAMs, and they work fine. What I found is, they don't fit well. The cover plate is a little large, so I removed their tan plate and replaced it with the original unit's black plate...which I prefer anyway...and all is good. If there's any downside to them, it's at the end of a CD. The return mechanism is louder than the original, but since there's no music to worry about, it doesn't bother me.

Re: The cnn BAMs do work...

sancarlosscott said:
For bequerel and hmm. I bought a couple of the cnn BAMs, and they work fine. What I found is, they don't fit well. The cover plate is a little large, so I removed their tan plate and replaced it with the original unit's black plate...which I prefer anyway...and all is good. If there's any downside to them, it's at the end of a CD. The return mechanism is louder than the original, but since there's no music to worry about, it doesn't bother me.

Thank you for the feedback. :)

Help Plz with MultiAV wire colors...

I want to butcher a MultiAV cable (S-video type with gold contacts) to install RCA jacks as close to the connector as possible so that better audio cables -- and occasionally a composite video cable -- can be attached. I have found references to the connector's pinout:
Pin Name Description
1 GND Ground
2 RT Right Audio
3 GND Ground
4 LT Left Audio
5 Y S-Video Y
6 SYNC Composite Sync
7 C S-Video C
8 VGND Video Ground
What I have not found is any reference to what color each of those wires should be, or if there is even a standard color code. I'd hate to get it all finished and discover I'd soldered up the wrong wires. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Help Plz with MultiAV wire colors...

sancarlosscott said:
I want to butcher a MultiAV cable (S-video type with gold contacts) to install RCA jacks as close to the connector as possible so that better audio cables -- and occasionally a composite video cable -- can be attached. I have found references to the connector's pinout:
Pin Name Description
1 GND Ground
2 RT Right Audio
3 GND Ground
4 LT Left Audio
5 Y S-Video Y
6 SYNC Composite Sync
7 C S-Video C
8 VGND Video Ground
What I have not found is any reference to what color each of those wires should be, or if there is even a standard color code. I'd hate to get it all finished and discover I'd soldered up the wrong wires. Any help would be appreciated.

One of the PS1s I bought on eBay came with that type of adapter. The adapter has no name or manufacturer ID on it, but obviously it allready exists. I did a Google search, and found this. It might work.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS2/Accessories/SCPH-10130U

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
bequerel, yes, I suppose that the output impedance is now around 16k.
Have not found this to be a problem with any of the amplifiers I have tried.

Attachments

• 124pic.jpg
    124pic.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 850
Re: Mick's Mods

enzedone said:
I have gathered Mick Feuerbacher's Mods and put them together into one Open Source PDF Document so it's easier to read through and use as a guide while working your work bench.
The only problem is, that it's 61 pages long. But has nice big picture's for those who can't read(like myself :)). I wanted to put it up here, but it's way too large, and I don't know if Mick would be happy about it(is that O.K?).

But if someone else wants to have it they can. I could email to them, but it's 42Mb. Does anyone know how to compress this down, I have tried zip, but didn't seem to do much.

Brett

You could upload it to Mediafire and post the link here.

Thanks for the link...

Thanks, bequerel, but I already have a similar item. It is a cheap one and really closed down the soundstage. Maybe the one you've shown me is better, but given my experience, I'd rather try to make my own with better parts after the MultiAV connector. I may be worrying too much about this. I did cobble together what I'm talking about using an original Sony connector and the results are pretty darn good, even without gold contacts in the main connector. Since I like the sound from the MultiAV out, I have been tempted to test a 5501 I have to see if there is a significant difference. If I need to access the repeat function, which is the only thing I ever use video for, then I could plug in my cheapo version of the product you mentioned.

Ziggy said:
bequerel, yes, I suppose that the output impedance is now around 16k.
Have not found this to be a problem with any of the amplifiers I have tried.

A 16k output impedance is extremely high for a CD-player! If you do not have a tube preamp with a high input impedance I am quite sure you have a roll off in the top end. (In my opinion the PS1 played via the Multi-AV out connector is slightly rolled off allready.) I really think that you sholuld look into a 1:1 or a 1:2 transformer specially made for this purpose. Maybe a Lundahl or Sowter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
bequerel, you think that 16 k is high for a CD player?....then why does Mick Feuerbacher use a 22k resistor to obtain an 11k total impedance for his amplifier's input as per his mod details on his Playstation web page?

Secondly, looking at the schematic of the multi A.V output, the impedance at the output is 100k from what I can see.

Rolled off highs?..........you must be kidding. I lost my BAT HEARING 2 years after I was born.

Can someone please provide a step up ratio for the Hammond 124d as it is not listed in the specifications.

Ziggy said:
bequerel, you think that 16 k is high for a CD player?....then why does Mick Feuerbacher use a 22k resistor to obtain an 11k total impedance for his amplifier's input as per his mod details on his Playstation web page?

Secondly, looking at the schematic of the multi A.V output, the impedance at the output is 100k from what I can see.

Rolled off highs?..........you must be kidding. I lost my BAT HEARING 2 years after I was born.

Can someone please provide a step up ratio for the Hammond 124d as it is not listed in the specifications.

Well, you usually do not want such a high output impedance. I am not sure, but with a lower value resistor it is possible that you will introduce a heavier load to the dac, and a lower output signal. Mick would have to confirm.

The step up ratio is probably the square root of the impedance ratios.
So if the primary impedance is eg. 8k and the secondary impedance is 16k, the step up ratio will be SQR(16/8)=1.4x.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Thanks bequerel.
All I know is that it seems to work fine.

The important thing that I would like to emphasize is that the sound quality easily beats any valve or solid state output stage. I know because I have tried all three and the transformers leave everything else for dead.

As you suggest, a better quality transformer would be the way to go. Something to save up for in my piggy bank.
:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
;) :angel: After many hours of play time, these transformers just sound better and better......guess they too need running in like other new parts or mods.

There is not even a hint of dynamic compression, harshness or loss of information.
I am seriously thinking about using a couple of these for my heavily modified Sansui tuner.

Without a doubt, I am convinced that low level signal, transformer coupling (without DC) IS PURE MAGIC ;)

A Transient Fault

A few days ago I was listening to my converted PS1. Somehow it had got itself it to a strange mode. Everything sounded thin and as if there was added reverb.
I wasted some time looking for loops and so on, until the old PC trick of turning it off and then on was tried. This put everything back to normal.... but what was going on? Has anyone else experienced this kind of fault, it is entirely new to me from any CD player. At a guess the DAC had got into a strange state but does anyone know for sure?