Playstation as CD-player

Hi Hugo,

basically you need to remove the on-board amplifier and connect from the DAC directly to the phono connections. On the dogbreath site there is also a high-pass filter. I have removed that as I have a high-pass filter on the next stage ( a built-in preamp). With the DAC now directly connected to the preamp , the sound is very full, with a dry bass and a very wide stereo stage... much better than my old Sony SCD-1. To get the player to handle all CD types you may need to adjust the voltages.. very easy and covered on the dogbreath site. I hope this helps

George

Very interesting thread - nice international joint-venture. Many thanks for the lot of tipps.

Just for Info: There are some new lasers available at ebay but the quality is not like the original. They are from China. I bought a KSM-440 BAM and take the Cover from the old laser for build into scph-1002. The Flatcabel has the same lenght but the laser intensity must set to 18,6 mV.

Modding Model SCPH-5501

nanocamp said:
does someone know whether oversampling is used by ps1?

The Playstation 1 does not provide oversampling.

On a different note, I have modded Model SCPH-5501 using the exact same mods for Model SCPH-1001 with the exception of adding RCA connectors. It seems that this is actually the better model to mod since the laser unit is oriented further away from the power supply. Also, it just seems a lot more reliable and quieter than Model SCPH-1001. In fact, it seems to play CD-R disks better.

I would be interested to know from others who have modded both models if they feel Model SCPH-5501 is the better model.

Attachments

• modded ps1 scph-5501 5.jpg
    modded ps1 scph-5501 5.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,153
Hello,

The output stage is different from the 1002.
The powerstage to the DAC is also different.
The PCB is totally different.

I power the DAC each, analog and digital from outside with 2 shunt regulatedpower supplys...THAT !!! is an enormously upgrade!!!
The output direct from the DAC with an capacitor 10µF,
a little resistor 47 Ohm in series and a load resistor 100Kohm, NOT 22 Kohm.

Thats the best result that i have.

I have the CORRECT schematic of the DAC 4309.

Questions?
:) :) :smash:

sigurd said:
I have the CORRECT schematic of the DAC 4309.

Schem. for the AK 4309 AVM or better AK 4309 VM?
Can you mail me?
post at nanocamp dot de

but not for the AK 4309 B ...

rhing said:

... have modded Model SCPH-5501 ... seems that this is actually the better model to mod since the laser unit is oriented further away from the power supply. Also, it just seems a lot more reliable and quieter than Model SCPH-1001. In fact, it seems to play CD-R disks better.

I would be interested to know from others who have modded both models if they feel Model SCPH-5501 is the better model.

I had a 5502 only for taken the better laser in my 1002, than i had no problems with any CD. The brand new laser from china is sent to garbage pail this *****
you are right, there are many details at the 5502 that seems much better than 1002, but i had not tried the 5502. I would be interested too to know the different from anyone who had test both under same conditions.

Powersupply DAC digital+ must come later than analog+.

On the SCPH-1002 the connections are not like that. They connect first analog+ and later digital+ with a resistor from 10 Ohm and a little interwindings and that is not correct. It is just otherwise, first analog+ and later digital+.

I connect two different powersupply's on the DAC 4,92VD and 5,02 VA and it's fantastic !!! I use TL431 for powersupply. It's schuntregulated. ;) If you want the shematic, tell me, i will give it to you. It is not difficult to change the pcb for connecting different analog+ and digital+. If you do that you will have a fantastic sound...

If you are interrested, let me know, i will help you.
I have also pictures of the pcb how to do it.

IF YOU DO THAT, THE SOUND WILL BE LIKE A SUPPERBE CD-PLAYER!

I use a transformer output stage, that's seems me the best, i have tried different possibilities.
Remember a little resistor is needed in series (47 ohm) to prevent vhf. So i use a 10 µF BG X and a little resistor 47 ohm for output and than a line transformer. The sound is amazing.

Hi,
On the upside from the PCB, you must cut (scrath) were I marked
a red arrow ( this for disconnecting the 5 volt from the power
supply of the unit )

On the underside I marked a red arrow for connecting the 5
volt on the Digital + ( blue for the minus ) and a red arrow
for the Analog + ( blue for the minus ) . The dark blue arrow
is also for disconnecting the 5 volt from the power supply unit.

The red arrow + ( where is written (sony ) ) is for Digital +

Attachments

• 100_1463.jpg
    100_1463.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,140
gainclone offset regulation LS

Hi, schematic for offset regulation LS on a gainclone :

the input volume control is a stepped resistor attenuator
( attention on connecting, it is as marked )

all resistors are riken

there is an offset regulation for the LS output

Attachments

• 100_1468.jpg
    100_1468.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 976