Playstation as CD-player

rhing said:

Did you add resistors like 22kohm metal film resistors to ground the RCA output jacks? If you did, where do you attach the resistors to ground?

Sorry I forget to mention about that. I add 100kohm resistors. At this topic people wrote that bass are better with those than 22kohm, next I try 47kohm.

Here is bigger picture from inside.
Black cable that is the ground cable.

And I forget to mention that the caps are 4.7uf.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hi bequerel, yes that means that the output impedence is 10k.
So far, have not experienced any problems with this - sound wise.

Is there a possibility that this may cause problems with some amplifiers?There is no problem with placing a larger value resistor in paralell as long as the total impedence is optimised for your equipment.

Oh, by the way, I also have used a Denon moiving coil step up transformer unit and that works as well - even greater output level(most likely due to greater step up ratio).

Ziggy said:
Hi bequerel, yes that means that the output impedence is 10k.
So far, have not experienced any problems with this - sound wise.

Is there a possibility that this may cause problems with some amplifiers?There is no problem with placing a larger value resistor in paralell as long as the total impedence is optimised for your equipment.

Oh, by the way, I also have used a Denon moiving coil step up transformer unit and that works as well - even greater output level(most likely due to greater step up ratio).

I do not think that the output impedance is a problem with tube amps, but with a normal transistor amp it could be.

Anyhow I would think that the high output impedance would lead to rolled off treble if you do not use extremely short cables since it will make a filter together with the cables and input impedance of the preamp. However, I am not an expert on this.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Can't say that I have noticed any reduction in high frequencies unless they are way past 16khz or so.

I can confidently say that the sound of the Sony Playstation has reached a new level with these transformers directly on the output.
The sound has a live organic presence that is hard to describe.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I measure 2.3 - 2.4 volts dc at the output of the DAC before the capacitor.
After the capacitor - o volts.
However, something weird is going on, if I short the capacitor with a length of wire, or connect the transformer direct to the DAC output - no sound - nada!I may have made a mistake in haste last night, but did a check and was still puzzled why this was happening.

Attached is a wiring diagram of the transformer.
At the moment I have the red wire attached as positive and the green connected to earth. The black C.T. is left unconnected.
On the other side yellow is positive and blue is ground.

Attachments

• m0705.pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 258
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I know that the output of the DAC definately is. It's what's happening after that is what's weird.

I'll have to check all the connections tonight again, but I'm not sure that I have a wiring problem when bypassing the caps connected to the DAC.

Wonder what the hell is going on?How can it all work with the transformers connected as is, but not when removing the caps:xeye:

Could it be that the DAC sees a 600ohm impedence and a gross mismatch is the result, producing no sound?

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Found the reason for the problem last night.

The input side of the transformer has a D.C. resistance of only 25 ohms. The DAC will see this as a short circuit to ground, hence the need for a capacitor.

Secondly, as a high pass filter is created, the 20uf caps I have been using are way TOO BIG. They will be substituted tonight for a 1.0uf or less.;)

Re: Re: Nice Pixs Kropo

ATD said:

They are Russian 4,7uf K75-10 PIO caps, same as mine. I have also made one using Soniqs 3,3uf caps. I don´t remember the actual model, but they were those cheaper blue ones. My current prototype ps1 mod has red Wima 1,5uf caps, but they are not good. Audyn Caps work good as well.

ATD-
can you tell us more about you enclosure?
Thanks

I actually asked this before, but I still don't know. I actually bought a new ps1, but have the same problems, it won't play any cd-r's. I did all the adjustments, but it's just not helping. So I think I need to buy a new laser. I bought one already from richpsxparts, and it as faulty. I emailed them several times, and got no response, so...Can anyone recommend a place to buy a replacement laser assembly other then richspsxparts? Also, what would be the best replacement laser for for the scph-1001(ACM, ADM, BAM, AEM)?

I was considering ordering from http://cnn.cn/shop/sony-playstation-c-259_512.html but I don't know which one to order. Will the BAM work with the 1001? I just want to be able to play my cd-r's! lol

Thank you
Joe