Ripping wav to SD card

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This guy reminds me of myself but not that crazy Eldam.
Lol. I once experimented using Choke supply to power a
CS 4328 dac with no regs. Problem was it killed many
dacs due to fluctuation of mains voltage. But when it was
working wow didn't sound like I was listening to digital
play back.

Notice he uses sota crystals... not anymore reclocked by the embeded SD Trans with its NDKs crystals...

WHat are the gelee in the cooper metal cases ??? résistors (Zobel as AYA 2 ?)

All that coils without tubes... what a pity, lol ! (are the coils so effective for such low current ?)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The thing that confuses me the most about check sums being the arbiter of perfect versus trash is that when you use something like ACCURATE RIP (which I do not currently - no internet connection to my ripping computer) you are not told your copy was PERFECT or useless, you are told that it contained the numbers returned by X number of rips, or something like that, it has been quite awhile since I used it.
There is more to it than that. There is error correction built into the CD format. If the rip software detects read errors it flags them. You'll know if there are errors. This has been covered many times in other threads. Checking it against other rips is a very good idea. What are the chances that your track rip matches 100 other rips, every single one of the 10s of millions of bits, and it's wrong? Does that seem plausible?

I guess if I knew how to get check sum information i would see how my files compare to the CD originals. My system is REDBOOK, only.
You can get it. Just rip it. ;)

Someone says they hear something wrong in digital someone else says that it impossible they are hearing that because of all of the usual reasons and then a few years later there is a new wave of DACs that have cured the problem.
You're talking about the digital to analog conversion process, not rips or data storage. Not the same thing.

Yes, its an accompanied sync-dac (also by Chiaki san) with dual 9038s and NDK duculon ocox oscillators on board for slaving the sdtrans.

Output stage consists of some WE (?) chocolate resistors for I/V, buffered by a nice output tranny. Rest are power supplies with regulators. I forgot about the big bypassing caps are made of....
And chokes for effective bilateral HF filtering I suppose.

Bunpei san and Stig Bjorge were there doing the demo. The sound was very impressive indeed! Sorry..a bit OT...

Last edited:
Very dense information with dark background, smooth... quick..musical...LP like?..whole dac system one of very best!

Had a chance last weekend at a friend's place to listen to both flapships of DCS and Audio Note DACs, sigma delta vs R2R. At that level..good things converge...one could tell the difference on vocals though...latter had more flavor perhaps buffer is tube based in addition to being r2r? And delta sigma also has it own merits as well.. really depending on the music genre...best is to own both..hehe. :D

Last edited:
if the files checksum identically then the bit stream is identical. However, the
newer laptop may sound better, independent of the RIP, because the sound
chips are newer.

also, swap SD cards and see whether the sound quality travels, if older RIP
sounds as good or better, then you have your answer.

If you take a closer look at how flash memory works, it is basically a bunch of small capacitors.
And while I can't really say whether I heard the thumb drive go through any burn in, I do know that certain brands can be better. I try to use lexar or sandisc.

There is a power requirement for flash memory also, so that led me to look at the power decoupling for the USB thumb drive on my laptop. I tried a few different capacitors on a short plug, into the adjacent port, and settled on a rubycon of some sort that I had around. The difference is pretty subtle, and this is on my fet headphone amp.

Lately the line power at work has been really bad, with buzzing a large amount of the time, so the cap/plug stays in the drawer, amp/dac just stays off:( This is after an isolation transformer and some common mode l/c.

I know you were asking about establishing the data more than playback, don't have anything there. I always try not to meddle with changing screens or anything else while transferring files, who knows if it does any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.