Finally Weiliang released ak4495+ak4118 dac today. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2014, 08:18 AM   #1
kimhk is offline kimhk  South Korea
diyAudio Member

Default Finally Weiliang released ak4495+ak4118 dac today.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a single 4495 chip version. Dual 4495 version will come in a month.

Last edited by kimhk; 15th November 2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 16th November 2014, 06:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hope they consider adding soft volume and remote control support to controller for this time. I have dual AK4399 from wiliang and it lacks these killer features despite there is no hardware limitation for doing this. They just seem not so about to getting real advantages of software control feature.

@kimhk

Have you contact info of these designers? Maybe they could share the source code of controller.

Last edited by terranigma; 16th November 2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 17th November 2014, 10:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

contact info : wangysd@hotmail.com
this man is a man of weiliang's shop. ask him.

he said like this;

"volume is difficult"
"the chip don't have a volume control unit in it
but ES9018 have"
"so ES9018 can control the volume "

Old 17th November 2014, 12:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

sorry. In the above reply, following information is wrong. My mistake. I cancel it.

he said like this;

"volume is difficult"
but ES9018 have"
Old 18th November 2014, 10:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranigma View Post
Hope they consider adding soft volume and remote control support to controller for this time. I have dual AK4399 from wiliang and it lacks these killer features despite there is no hardware limitation for doing this. They just seem not so about to getting real advantages of software control feature.

@kimhk

Have you contact info of these designers? Maybe they could share the source code of controller.
I'm currently programming my own controller for using with the dual AK4399 DAC of WeiLiang. It's based on Arduino Nano.

The current controller isn't very good programmed, I don't think you would use the source code if you got it... Better make your own IMO, you can even make your display to render what you want. Nano is also very cheap.

Nino
Old 19th November 2014, 05:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimhk View Post
contact info : wangysd@hotmail.com
this man is a man of weiliang's shop. ask him.

he said like this;

"volume is difficult"
but ES9018 have"

Actually, every modern dac chip including AK4399 contain a volume control feature. Probably marketing or other non-technical department answering the mails. Thank you btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoSimona View Post
I'm currently programming my own controller for using with the dual AK4399 DAC of WeiLiang. It's based on Arduino Nano.

The current controller isn't very good programmed, I don't think you would use the source code if you got it... Better make your own IMO, you can even make your display to render what you want. Nano is also very cheap.

Nino
This is great news Nino! Hope you share your final design, connection diagram etc. on main thread soon. Let me order an Arduino Nano immediately.
Old 22nd January 2015, 05:17 PM   #7
amx002 is offline amx002  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Yes, It has digital volume. However it bypass digital volume when playback DSD data. ES9018 didn't use DSD Direct like AK4495/AK4399 but DSD to PCM. Therefore, digital volume is working all the time. That's why he said Volume is difficult for AK4495/AK4399.

Quote:
The AK4495S supports 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital) input, and PCM data input. Volume pass mode bypasses the volume control block and the delta sigma modulator when play back DSD data. It is suitable for applications which have most priority to the sound quality. Since the AK4495S contains an integrated low-pass filter only for DSD data, the required performance in the SACD format book (Scarlet Book) can be easily realized with a simple external analog filter. The output level is the same for either PCM or DSD input data, as well as for external digital filter input. Volume control is independent of the input data format. Supporting both PCM and DSD audio data, the AK4495S is ideal for high-end audio equipment, including high-end Blu-Ray, DVD-Audio, and SACD players, AV receivers and digital mixers. It is housed in a 44-pin LQFP package.
The another problem of AK4495 is roll-off filters. It has 5 filters but give you only 2 pins to select. So you could select only 4 filters. If you want to use super slow roll-off (which WM8741/8742 don't have), you can do it via software mode, only.

Quote:
Register address: 05 (Control 4)
7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|x| Super Slow filter on/off
|_|_|_|_|_|_|x|_| Bit 3 of the manual sampling speed setting (see reg 01)
|_|x|_|_|_|_|_|_| Left channel phase invert ON/OFF
|x|_|_|_|_|_|_|_| Right channel phase invert ON/OFF
Old 28th May 2015, 05:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Excuse me , you have anyone heard him play it ? as this comparison AK4495 and AK4399 ?
Old 28th May 2015, 05:40 AM   #9
r8833 is online now r8833  Canada
diyAudio Member

Comparing AK4399 to AK4495

I have one...very nice sounding dac
Old 28th May 2015, 07:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8833 View Post
Comparing AK4399 to AK4495

I have one...very nice sounding dac

Thanks....