Finally Weiliang released ak4495+ak4118 dac today.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hope they consider adding soft volume and remote control support to controller for this time. I have dual AK4399 from wiliang and it lacks these killer features despite there is no hardware limitation for doing this. They just seem not so about to getting real advantages of software control feature.

@kimhk

Have you contact info of these designers? Maybe they could share the source code of controller.

Last edited:
sorry. In the above reply, following information is wrong. My mistake. I cancel it.

he said like this;

"volume is difficult"
"[FONT=微软雅黑]the chip don't have a volume control unit in it
[FONT=微软雅黑]but ES9018 have"[/FONT]
"so ES9018 can control the volume "[/FONT]

Hope they consider adding soft volume and remote control support to controller for this time. I have dual AK4399 from wiliang and it lacks these killer features despite there is no hardware limitation for doing this. They just seem not so about to getting real advantages of software control feature.

@kimhk

Have you contact info of these designers? Maybe they could share the source code of controller.
I'm currently programming my own controller for using with the dual AK4399 DAC of WeiLiang. It's based on Arduino Nano.

The current controller isn't very good programmed, I don't think you would use the source code if you got it... Better make your own IMO, you can even make your display to render what you want. Nano is also very cheap.

Nino

contact info : wangysd@hotmail.com
this man is a man of weiliang's shop. ask him.

he said like this;

"volume is difficult"
"[FONT=微软雅黑]the chip don't have a volume control unit in it
[FONT=微软雅黑]but ES9018 have"[/FONT]
"so ES9018 can control the volume "

[/FONT]

Actually, every modern dac chip including AK4399 contain a volume control feature. Probably marketing or other non-technical department answering the mails. Thank you btw.

I'm currently programming my own controller for using with the dual AK4399 DAC of WeiLiang. It's based on Arduino Nano.

The current controller isn't very good programmed, I don't think you would use the source code if you got it... Better make your own IMO, you can even make your display to render what you want. Nano is also very cheap.

Nino

This is great news Nino! Hope you share your final design, connection diagram etc. on main thread soon. Let me order an Arduino Nano immediately.

Yes, It has digital volume. However it bypass digital volume when playback DSD data. ES9018 didn't use DSD Direct like AK4495/AK4399 but DSD to PCM. Therefore, digital volume is working all the time. That's why he said Volume is difficult for AK4495/AK4399.

The AK4495S supports 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital) input, and PCM data input. Volume pass mode bypasses the volume control block and the delta sigma modulator when play back DSD data. It is suitable for applications which have most priority to the sound quality. Since the AK4495S contains an integrated low-pass filter only for DSD data, the required performance in the SACD format book (Scarlet Book) can be easily realized with a simple external analog filter. The output level is the same for either PCM or DSD input data, as well as for external digital filter input. Volume control is independent of the input data format. Supporting both PCM and DSD audio data, the AK4495S is ideal for high-end audio equipment, including high-end Blu-Ray, DVD-Audio, and SACD players, AV receivers and digital mixers. It is housed in a 44-pin LQFP package.

The another problem of AK4495 is roll-off filters. It has 5 filters but give you only 2 pins to select. So you could select only 4 filters. If you want to use super slow roll-off (which WM8741/8742 don't have), you can do it via software mode, only.

Register address: 05 (Control 4)
7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|x| Super Slow filter on/off
|_|_|_|_|_|_|x|_| Bit 3 of the manual sampling speed setting (see reg 01)
|_|x|_|_|_|_|_|_| Left channel phase invert ON/OFF
|x|_|_|_|_|_|_|_| Right channel phase invert ON/OFF

Manual or power connection?

Hi, I'm new here

Could somebody please help me?

My came without manual. :sad:

1. How should I connect the Power?
  2. The double inputs are for 9V?
  3. The tripple for 18V with the middle pin for ground?
  4. How the display is be used?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

dacster

Hi, I'm new here

Could somebody please help me?

My came without manual. :sad:

1. How should I connect the Power?
  2. The double inputs are for 9V?
  3. The tripple for 18V with the middle pin for ground?
  4. How the display is be used?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

dacster

Oh good - I don't feel half so much an idiot - or at least now we both can enjoy the company - it took me a bit of head-scratch to sort this out . . . :D

You've got it correct for the AC wiring:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My breadboard DAC

The two double connectors each take 9VAC, the single 3-wire connector takes +15VAC - gnd, gnd - +15VAC - so the two 0VAC taps go to the center, and each 15VAC goes to an end.

The display board shows the operating link and the data rate - on my unit button 1 (topmost) changes the input, button 2 also changes the input (??), and button 3 selects between "Filter 1" and "Filter 2" - one can only assume they mean coarse or espresso grind ..."Mutter, mutter, mutter...

Then there are the two utterly undocumented DIP switches near the AK4495 - I'm assuming that they may have some function - perhaps for the USB input card - but am loath to fry yet another DAC in the pursuit of 'science' - does anyone here know?

Once sorted out, this is a very decent-sounding DAC with great detail and few vices.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim for your fast and detailed reply:)

This helped a lot.
But why you didn't connected the ground to the board?

Any tuning on this dac possible? Better metall-film caps instead of electrolytic caps ?

Anybody tried?

cheers

dacster

Last edited:
Thanks Jim for your fast and detailed reply:)

This helped a lot.
But why you didn't connected the ground to the board?

Any tuning on this dac possible? Better metall-film caps instead of electrolytic caps ?

Anybody tried?

cheers

dacster

My AC power setup is a little oddball - originally for a 1.5KW radio station, a 120VAC 40 amp isolation transformer feeds a dedicated circuit that sends its hot and neutral legs (white and black wires) via shielded cable to an RF-filtered outlet box which fans out to supply the equipment and electrostatic speakers. The safety ground leg (green/yellow wire) runs from two 12' ground (earthing) rods in the crawl space of the house via some surplus flat, braided ground lead to the wall outlet where it reverts to more normal 12ga wire.

Since this is an isolated circuit, whose isolation transformer uses the main panel safety ground on its input side, but whose safety and RF grounds are directly earthed - there's not much shock potential and it's AC power is both quite stiff and very, very quiet.

So, on the DAC, the green/yellow safety ground now feeds an RF-isolating IEC socket, and the transformer's ground lead. There was almost no measurable resistance or AC voltage between safety ground and the either the middle leg of the 15-0-15VAC connector, or any of the RCA shield connections, so I didn't bother to carry safety ground onto the DAC's circuit board.

NOTE! Kids! Please don't try this at home - it's neither an approved, nor recommended practice, and I sure that somewhere a moderator is gnashing their teeth and planning a bleak revenge. Mea Culpa...

Cheers

Jim

Oh good - I don't feel half so much an idiot - or at least now we both can enjoy the company - it took me a bit of head-scratch to sort this out . . . :D

You've got it correct for the AC wiring:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My breadboard DAC

The two double connectors each take 9VAC, the single 3-wire connector takes +15VAC - gnd, gnd - +15VAC - so the two 0VAC taps go to the center, and each 15VAC goes to an end.

The display board shows the operating link and the data rate - on my unit button 1 (topmost) changes the input, button 2 also changes the input (??), and button 3 selects between "Filter 1" and "Filter 2" - one can only assume they mean coarse or espresso grind ..."Mutter, mutter, mutter...

Then there are the two utterly undocumented DIP switches near the AK4495 - I'm assuming that they may have some function - perhaps for the USB input card - but am loath to fry yet another DAC in the pursuit of 'science' - does anyone here know?

Once sorted out, this is a very decent-sounding DAC with great detail and few vices.

Cheers

Jim

Sorry, a simple question; as is the sound quality of this PCB? you've got to compare with another PCB?

greetings

Originally Posted by Dr Jim

The little red switches are for the digital filter selection. Four possibilities. I just picked one that sounded sweetest.
I'm using a OPA1612 op amp, no other changes. Man it really sings.

Sorry, a simple question; as is the sound quality of this PCB? you've got to compare with another PCB?

greetings

I can't compare it to other AK4495 boards, this is the first one I've had any time with.

I can say that this board's presentation of soundstage, imaging, and the proper timbre of both piano (felt on brass, and delicate pedal modulations) and cymbals (they ring, chime, and shimmer - not just hiss) is significantly better than any of the Burr-Brown PCM179x DACs on hand.

This board came directly from the site that appears to be Weiliang's web presence:

Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy

The board was a bit more spendy than the lowest eBay vendors, but included the switch panel, LCD, and (most importantly) free DHL shipping - it arrived here FOUR days after I ordered - far, far faster than EMS or China Post could have delivered.

Re-reading this thread, I think that you're trying to decide between an AK4399 or an AK4495 based DAC. Honestly, if you held a gun to my head (please don't, it takes such a long time for that ugly little bruise to fade from one's forehead. . .) I'd probably choose a parallel AK4399 DAC for use with a traditional 2-channel amp driving dynamic speakers - it's a proven, well understood chip with a deservedly good reputation and Weiliang's parallel implementation seems quite good.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jim

The little red switches are for the digital filter selection. Four possibilities. I just picked one that sounded sweetest.
I'm using a OPA1612 op amp, no other changes. Man it really sings.

Thanks - I hoped this was the case, but hesitated to just start flipping switches.

Will spend the weekend testing the various combinations and annoying the neighbors.

Cheers
Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.