Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods... - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2013, 09:07 AM   #211
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

I wonder actually about the same: how critic is the 27Mhz to clocking the main processor...
I will want to see what is happen if this clock is just double f. ex. then try lower frequency, but higher than 27Mhz.
At last this clock it may drive an PLL or an master clock distribution circuit inside the processor. This circuit it must deliver also clock signal for the devices which were clocked by 25Mhz oscillator in the earlier model of this processor...
I think one may try to find an (well) working (if possible another) frequency for this clock, using an standard one oscillator, then find the best quality oscillator. I personally want/plan to experiment a little bit more in this area... I already ordered that so called SAW from Digikey, and waiting to get it...
Old 17th January 2013, 09:04 AM   #212
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
I wonder actually about the same: how critic is the 27Mhz to clocking the main processor...
I will want to see what is happen if this clock is just double f. ex. then try lower frequency, but higher than 27Mhz.
I have been in contact with Epson Toyocom office in Singapore. Hopefully will hear from them next week about getting 54MHz SAW made - then I can divide by two and get 27MHz.

The problem of using other than 27MHz is that it might disable other functions of the player, video or sound capabilities. In my case that is not an option. Likewise with Ric, I'm sure.

But I will be trying 50Mhz SAW divide by two = 25MHz (a la '95), and maybe the PLL(?) might work with that just fine and still synthesise all the correct frequencies. We shall find out.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 17th January 2013, 09:26 AM   #213
mvc is offline mvc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Aside from clock upgrades, what would be the most effective mods on a BDP-105? I can think of capacitor upgrades, faster diodes, better opamps and better voltage regulators. Which of those would be most effective?
Old 17th January 2013, 08:45 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
I have been in contact with Epson Toyocom office in Singapore. Hopefully will hear from them next week about getting 54MHz SAW made - then I can divide by two and get 27MHz.

The problem of using other than 27MHz is that it might disable other functions of the player, video or sound capabilities. In my case that is not an option. Likewise with Ric, I'm sure.

But I will be trying 50Mhz SAW divide by two = 25MHz (a la '95), and maybe the PLL(?) might work with that just fine and still synthesise all the correct frequencies. We shall find out.

Cheers, Joe R.
It may be a good solution if Epson can produce/deliver 54Mhz SAW oscillator, and it will sell it in reasonable small quantities...
Old 17th January 2013, 08:59 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc View Post
Aside from clock upgrades, what would be the most effective mods on a BDP-105? I can think of capacitor upgrades, faster diodes, better opamps and better voltage regulators. Which of those would be most effective?
In my opinion there are not "most effective" mods in this case. A sum of many it may be in one way "effective"...
Is quite difficult to make a list, because are enough many, and those mods are connected in between: is not big deal to use better opamps without to improve the power system, f. ex. Is not so big deal to improve the clock oscillator without put in place a ultra low noise regulator for it, and so on.
It is a really nice work and big reward to do step by step the mods, and experience every time an increasing of the results/improvements...
Old 18th January 2013, 12:30 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
For those who might want to see it, I uploaded a Service Manual for the "audiolab" 8200DQ Service Manual.

What makes it interesting is that here we can see the ES9018 in the context of a Service Manual and full Schematics.

This the link I created, it with be active till the 25th of January:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/UW...000000&s=19102

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:37 AM   #217
diyAudio Member

I think too that is interesting to see the ESS9018 in use, in another context, than in its datasheet... Thanks.
It only still now to find the "service manual" and schematics for Oppo...
Old 19th January 2013, 07:52 AM   #218
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Interesting to see AD744 there in the analog output stage, a blast from the past Perhaps its single pole settling response has something to do with its selection.
Old 19th January 2013, 08:08 AM   #219
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

great, use the lowest noise Audio DAC, parallel its outputs into a 18 nV/sqrt(Hz) 20+ year old jfet op amp
Old 19th January 2013, 02:29 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Nobody say or think to reproduce that schematic... At last Audiolab precise quite clear that the schematic used in the manual is an initial (prototype) design of that device, which for sure it were modified afterwords for the final product.
One may expect that such schematics are not published so that another concurrent company will reproduce it and sell then the same product with the same parameters...
I couldn`t see many schematics where ESS9018 is involved, and this it were the main point (as I understood) when Joe uploaded this manual. This upload is for sure not meant as an apology of the Audiolab design...

It have been published an information here and this is to be appreciated at last...

Last edited by Coris; 19th January 2013 at 02:32 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!