TAS1020B-based Asynchronous USB to I2S/SPDIF converter 24bit/96kHz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I honestly am surprised at the lack of replies here. My experience is that the TAS usb are truly audio class components, while the Xmos is an attempt at USB hirez. At least I've noticed that Rankin's TAS USB1.0 asynch firmware sounds a whole lot better than the other commercial hirez products (I haven't heard Rankins hirez products).

I am not saying that the Xmos or Hiface or other high speed chips or bad, but there is something special I think to the TAS for audio.

I think there is some truth to the possibility that the xmos is just using the on board clocks as reference for its output.

This is just speculation and listening, some will say I have no business reporting what I hear but I think there is something to it and digital guys know about it.

I really believe that asynch USB should have been perfected at the RBCD level before jumping so fast into commercially more attractive hirez.

obviously the SD transport as for as SQ is tough to beat, and its RBCD only but not as flexible as a well implemented asynch USB. It does sound better than a Computer-TAS-SPDIF. But a Computer TAS-I2S-Masterclock at the DAC (like being done with the SDtransport) hasn't been explored, these TAS boards to give us that opportunity.

Hi
Do you think your USB/I2S module could fed a WM8741 DAC input ?
WM8741 accepts direct I2S signals.

Would it work with an Opus DAC ?
Here's the link to the Opus : Opus - A Balanced DAC

My knowledge is weak, but Opus I2S input works in "slave mode".
The USB/I2S module is supposed to generate the master clock.
Will your module do the job ?

Cheers ;)

Phil

Last edited:
I see TAS1020B on many TI audio EVMs I test.
Using stock TI firmware, per test procedure.
I don't recall any unusual clocks, just ordinary
6 and 12, or 6 and 24... I doubt we have seen
this chip pushed to it's ultimate limits.

The circuits are pretty basic, an i2c eeprom,
pullups, crystals, and reset... TAS1020B part
of the circuit rarely ever goes wrong. If I got
any troubles, its usually somewhere else.

PCM5102EVM-U might have had some fancy
external clockworks, I think maybe was one...

Yeah, have a peek at the user's guide:
http://www.ti.com/tool/pcm5102evm-u
See that header across the middle: I2S...

Last edited:
Hi all,
Sorry for the lack of response for several days. But I had a very urgent buisness job and I was a few days on business trip.

And now some answers:

Guglielmo
I'm very interested in your board with the external clock and I2s output.
Can you generate also the clock for the dac?(ES9023 and ES9018)
I've also an SDtrans 384 but I think that your board can be an interesting option.

Yes. On I2S Connector there is Master Clock Signal (22.5792MHz or 24.5760 MHz depending on Fsample)

korben69
Do you think your USB/I2S module could fed a WM8741 DAC input ?
WM8741 accepts direct I2S signals.

Would it work with an Opus DAC ?

My knowledge is weak, but Opus I2S input works in "slave mode".
The USB/I2S module is supposed to generate the master clock.
Will your module do the job ?

YES. I2S signal have standard format (24Bits, Master Clock=256*Fs).
Converter is MASTER, DAC is SLAVE.
On I2S Connector there is Master Clock Signal (22.5792MHz or 24.5760 MHz depending on Fsample)

nullspace
Any luck getting 22.5792 Mhz and 24.576MHz clocks? I'd like to buy a Stage 3-spec board, assembled & tested, once they become available.
YES. Last week I received oscillators (20ppm).
I think that next week converters will be ready.
I solder converters by hand, I need about 2 hours to assemble one.
I do it in my leisure time.

kevinkr
This is a subject that has recently become of great interest to me, and look forward to the availability of your TAS1020B version. If you plan to offer boards in the future or have any left I would be very interested in acquiring one.

YES i plan to offer assembled boards. But at this moment I have only few PCBs and I solder them hand. So I do them only a few pieces.
Now they are mainly intended for DIY-ers from Poland. I plan to send outside Poland but I have to check shipping costs and create PayPal account.

robertopisa
are you aware whether your TAS1020B version supports integer mode when using players such as Audirvana and PureMusic?
Unfortunately, I do not know these programs. I tested converter on Mac Os and it works fine, you don't need any additional drivers. Converter is fully compatibile with USB Audio Class 1.0.

GeorgeBoudreau
Golledge in the UK has some nice clocks that are inexpensive in qty of 500
500 pcs is far to much. I bought several pieces from another source. Thanks.

---------------
I also received PCB for galvanic isolation based on ADUM3160.
I soldered and tested one it's works realy fine.
Photos on monday.

On the Polish Forum DIY we plan to compare the different converters:
- My
- V-Link
- Hi-Face
- Hegel

Sometimes I have roblems with writing in English what I think. My english is very poor.

Best regards
JarekC

PS.
For private messages I will try to answer by the weekend.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi JarekC,
Your English is quite good actually, and with regular usage will get even better.

I'm very interested in your board, and will buy one as soon as it is available - just let me know. :D

You might consider providing the right footprint and socket for the Tent Clock (Guido Tent) and let buyers source their own if they wish to use it - enabled by jumper I suppose.

I've bought stuff from Poland and paid via paypal before and it all worked just fine, so I've no reservations.

:D

Hi Jarek,

thanks for the reply. I own the Hiface, you have to feed it with good DC, not the 5V USB, to make it sound good for the comparison. It would be interesting also to compare against Stello U3 or Anedio (XMOS based interfaces).

As for Audirvana Plus and Pure Music, you can download a trial version.

Cheers
Roberto

[snip]

On the Polish Forum DIY we plan to compare the different converters:
- My
- V-Link
- Hi-Face
- Hegel

[snip]

Hi All,

I received a new batch of PCB (15pcs), all previous (about 20) been used by Polish DIYs.
I finally found some spare time to assemble a few pieces of converter.

The biggest improvement over the standard version (Stage1/2) happens after adding external oscillator and external power supply.
Adding galwanic isolation gives subtle changes.

The current version is 1.01 for I2S/SPDIF standard and 1.02 for version with external oscillators.
Achematic is available inn first post.

Several people have asked me about costs:
USB to I2S module (STAGE1 specification, assembled & tested)
cost about 44$ + shipping (about 7$ in EU)

USB to SPDIF(COAX+OPTO) module (STAGE2 specification, assembled & tested)
cost about 60$ + shipping (about 7$ in EU)

Options cost:
-external oscillators + (additional parts) 25$
-galvanic isolation module 18$

But I can assemble only 4/5 units per week.
I solder converters by hand, I need about 2 hours to assemble one. I do it in my leisure time.
Sometimes I have to go on business trip.

On fist photo (from left) :
1. SPDIF(COAX+OPTO) + OSC + ISOLATION
2. SPDIF(COAX+OPTO) + OSC
3. SPDIF(COAX+OPTO) standard

On second photo: galvanic isolaton module

Best regards
JarekC

Attachments

• usb-spdif-i2s-top.jpg
    usb-spdif-i2s-top.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 985
  • iso-top-bot.jpg
    iso-top-bot.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 817
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.