Burning cd's for older players?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I remember back in 2004 when I started ripping my vinyl's, I was told by the guy who sold me the cd's to burn at the slowest speed possible. He said that way the laser spends more time in one area and burns deeply (he mentioned what you've said) and also he said, the discs were less prone to fail if scratched. I followed his advice and never had a problem. Now in my new pc I can only burn at 8x or 7x (using Roxio easy media creator) as minimum speed.
I was told the same thing, at first.

But later, I was told that higher burn speeds improve the accuracy of the motor speed. When running at 1x, minor variations in the motor speed cause the size of the pits to change, and this results in a less perfect burn that is harder to read reliably. Cheap motors in cheap burners do not have the same speed accuracy as more expensive equipment. Running at a higher speed leverages the laws of physics, because it's more difficult to change the speed (even by accident of low quality) when the disc has more rotational inertia.

Thus, your new minimum of 8x or 7x is not so bad. 1x is not really available any more, but you should test a variety of speeds with your media and your burner. I have a stack of coasters marked with the speed and drive that caused a failure. Later, when I have success with the same brand blank and same burner, I write the 'good' speed on the coaster. That way, I have a handy reference on top of my stack of blanks for what works.

The bad news is that Burn Proof has its own set of problems. Burn Proof is great at saving you from complete loss of a blank, but it does completely stop the laser and then restart it later. Some folks claim that this reduces the reliability of the burned disc. So, your best best is to have a fast computer, fast drive, no other programs running during the burn, and basically doing everything you can to make sure that Burn Proof is never activated. For a given computer, this may mean avoiding the highest burn speeds if your drive and CPU and bus cannot delivery data to the burner fast enough.

Although Roxio keeps the same burning speed through the burning process
I don't know PC software, but how much control does the software have? Many aspects of the burn process are controlled by the firmware in the burner itself, and your program cannot really change some things. What you're seeing may have more to do with the drive you have and less to do with Roxio. Maybe a burner from another manufacturer would work differently, even with the same data from Roxio.

It seems the number of tracks is not a big issue, as mentioned before I burned 2 albums in 1 cd. More than 20 track and running time close to 78 minutes and it plays fine.
Track numbers are for humans only. As long as you have 99 or fewer tracks, it should have no effect on the burn success. It's really only the length of time that matters. That could be 1 track or 99 tracks and it wouldn't matter. You are right to pay attention to the 78 minute length, because that's the factor that might make or break compatibility (for various blanks, burners, and readers).

I wrote an audio disc at 52x speed yesterday to compare it with the same media on the same medium written at 16x. My CD player will read the TOC of the 52x written disc but will not play any of the tracks. I can hear the servo struggling to track and focus.
Now i know that the lead-in and lead-out are written at the slowest writting speed ( at least on my setup: Nero 6.6 with TEAC 52x drive and TDK CD-Rs ) that is why the TOC is read without problems.
I made this test in the past also with the same results. This is why i always knew that the burning speed is the problem.
However, i always agreed with Mooly's statements here on the forum. I cannot figure out why he is getting best results at top speed and why i get best results on low speeds.
I will open up the cd-player and take a look at the RF signal during the weekend.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
However, i always agreed with Mooly's statements here on the forum. I cannot figure out why he is getting best results at top speed and why i get best results on low speeds.
I will open up the cd-player and take a look at the RF signal during the weekend.

Burning at higher speeds went against all I had read too......

If you do look at the RF signal look at the relative amplitudes of all the signal and not just an overall level and compare. In my case with my Laptop (Acer 9301) it was very clear that the higher the speed and the closer the RF became to a normal pressed disc.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on this. It's what works best for you and to be able to see the recovered signal is the best way of all for confirming that.

Even if all burned speeds seem playable it could be that some are marginal when read by older players.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but keep in mind that the claim that slower speeds will allow the laser more time to make a more complete burn assumes that the laser strength is identical for all speeds. A particular burner may actually boost the laser strength at higher speeds such that the end result could be identical. Admittedly, I have no information about the laser technology in these drives or whether they can safely boost the power the way I'm imagining - I only mention it as a possibility.

I've been working with laser cutters where the thickness and speed that the laser moves is all tied in with the power level setting for the laser. Usually, the laser just barely cuts through the material, provided that the operator has not set the power too high (which runs the risk of other bad things happening).

I'm just thinking out loud here, but keep in mind that the claim that slower speeds will allow the laser more time to make a more complete burn assumes that the laser strength is identical for all speeds. A particular burner may actually boost the laser strength at higher speeds such that the end result could be identical. Admittedly, I have no information about the laser technology in these drives or whether they can safely boost the power the way I'm imagining - I only mention it as a possibility.

I've been working with laser cutters where the thickness and speed that the laser moves is all tied in with the power level setting for the laser. Usually, the laser just barely cuts through the material, provided that the operator has not set the power too high (which runs the risk of other bad things happening).

It seems that you are right. I found this on the internets:

'Optimum Power Calibration (OPC) is a function that checks the proper laser power for writing a particular session in the media in use. More sophisticated is Active OPC, which calculates the optimum laser power and adjusts it in real-time.'

I know from the past when i experimented burning discs under Linux with a 4x Mitsumi unit that a laser power calibration was performed at the begining of the writting cycle. So with a burner without active OPC the old myth stated before might about the laser power would hold ground. This could be the answer to the different results obtained by Mooly at high speed and others like me that obtained best results at low speed

well but in a emergency (dead laser) you can buy one from china just to try , if price is not ridiculous :D

new it´s not worthy

Yeah I know what you mean, if I'm correct a member bought one of those chinese lasers (different model I think) but it didn't last long. I'll ask him how much he paid for it.
But to be honest I think his lasted about 6 months. So I'll check that

I was told the same thing, at first.

But later, I was told that higher burn speeds improve the accuracy of the motor speed. When running at 1x, minor variations in the motor speed cause the size of the pits to change, and this results in a less perfect burn that is harder to read reliably.

I never thought about it, but it makes a lot of sense. If you take the principe of photography: at slower shutter speeds, you're more likely to get blurry pictures, therefore the need of a tripod. In the burning case, the need of a better motor or media to ensure the laser burns correctly.
Funny but it never crossed my mind

Also I'll try different burn speeds and see how things go, I've been reading and many of the older players work better reading media burnt at different speeds.

I don't know PC software, but how much control does the software have? Many aspects of the burn process are controlled by the firmware in the burner itself, and your program cannot really change some things. What you're seeing may have more to do with the drive you have and less to do with Roxio. Maybe a burner from another manufacturer would work differently, even with the same data from Roxio.

That's true, I really don't know how much control Roxio has over the burner's firmware (which I suspect would have more control over the whole process) All I noticed is that at least the speed is more controlled, I don't hear those speed changes you hear sometimes using Nero, with Roxio the driver sounds more stable through the whole process.

That's true, I really don't know how much control Roxio has over the burner's firmware (which I suspect would have more control over the whole process) All I noticed is that at least the speed is more controlled, I don't hear those speed changes you hear sometimes using Nero, with Roxio the driver sounds more stable through the whole process.

I used to use Nero and had quite a few cd's fail burning.
When I moved over to Windows Vista using the Windows cd burner the problem just disappeared. I can only guess Nero had some issues.

I guess its also down to the quality of the cd-r's, I tend to go for a well known make.

I've been trying for years to find some sort of specification of the burning commands that most drives must implement in order for all burning software to talk to all drives. If anyone has a link, such a spec should answer a lot of these questions about how much control is available.

Maybe there are multiple ways to burn. It could be that there's a command that passes off full control to the drive firmware, and another command that allows more control.

On that note, I know that a few brands of burning drives allow more than two seconds of audio before the first track (a hidden track feature used on quite a few pressed CDs). This requires a special command that is not implemented on the average drive, and thus it won't work everywhere. I've been trying to find documentation for this command - but no luck so far. Most generic burning API will not implement this because it won't work everywhere, but I'd really like to be able to use the feature for live recordings. So, if anyone has information, please post a link - it should answer many questions if we could find a specification.

I've been trying for years to find some sort of specification of the burning commands that most drives must implement in order for all burning software to talk to all drives. If anyone has a link, such a spec should answer a lot of these questions about how much control is available.

Maybe there are multiple ways to burn. It could be that there's a command that passes off full control to the drive firmware, and another command that allows more control.

On that note, I know that a few brands of burning drives allow more than two seconds of audio before the first track (a hidden track feature used on quite a few pressed CDs). This requires a special command that is not implemented on the average drive, and thus it won't work everywhere. I've been trying to find documentation for this command - but no luck so far. Most generic burning API will not implement this because it won't work everywhere, but I'd really like to be able to use the feature for live recordings. So, if anyone has information, please post a link - it should answer many questions if we could find a specification.

Having that info would be great, I read that usually the first part of the burning process gets more of the speed to cope with TOC and the opening of the session, then slows a bit for the rest of the track then picks up again for closing the session.

I used s software not long ago, that gave you the choice of gap you wanted to introduce. Nothing big, I think the maximum was about 4 seconds.

But nothing like on pressed cd's where you get minutes of silence before a track, like in Nirvana's Nevermind, where you have around 6 minutes of silence before a hidden track. Which according to what I've read, was left out of the disc by accident, then Kobain and the rest of the band demanded it to have it back on the next batch of cd's.

So if you ever find a Nevermind w/o the hidden track (original and from the 90's) you might have a rare disc.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I too have always understood the original format was 74 minutes...

Many years ago (I guess around 1985) in the early years of CD I attended a 3 day residential course at Sony UK in Thatcham and where we pulled the theory and number crunching apart.

I remember clearly mentioning to the instructor about a new CD release that had the playing time of 76' 57'' (Rachmaninov preludes, Nimbus NI5094) and his comments were that it violated the original standard and so would not be guaranteed to play on all players. In fact more than that, at first he found it hard to believe such a CD existed but wanted all the details so he could obtain a copy. I have recollections of it creating a stir in the hifi press at the time too.

The longest disc I have now is a Deutsche Grammophon (459-362-2) which has a playing time of 79' 21" and it plays perfectly on my old Micromega... haven't tried it on the Marantz Pearl Lite yet... if it hiccups I'll be back :)

I remembered this one :)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/168879-longest-playing-cd-i-have-ever-come-across.html

Hi Guys, newbie here.
Did anyone solve their Audio CD Burning issues, Since using Windows 8 on a HP Pavillion g6 laptop I am unable to burn an Audio CD that will play on my Sanyo DCX750 Digital Stereo Sound System (around 15 years old), Yes the tracks are burned as .cda, I have tried numerous burning software versions at low and high speeds with high quality music disks.
The burned CD's will play on any PC and on my modern TV Free view box which has VHS and DVD play facilities.
I used to burn CD's on my old HP Pavillion tower set-up using Windows XP and Sonic's RecordNow burning program and those CD's still work on any player/PC.
Any help appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Boky means using an oscilloscope to see what is actually on the discs signal wise, as in these scope shots post #1,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/226288-sony-cdp790-kss240-restoration-project.html

You would have to have a player that actually plays them OK though to do that. A good CD-R should look similar to this and the amplitude should be similar to a bought CD.

What I would suggest is that you try these unplayable discs on another old (as in one that plays only CD's and not multi format) just to be 100% certain the discs really are "audio". I'm sure they are, you sound to be doing everything right but best to confirm it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.