Upgrading & modding new Oppos, BDP-93 & BDP-95 - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2012, 06:32 AM   #191
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvd View Post
Smiffy is the oscillator 0.1 ppm or 10 ppm according to the manufacturer's description?
For an OCXO oscillator 10ppm may not be possible. More reasonable would be 0,1ppm.

I think one may have doubt about components parameters sold on the ebay marked. It may be good, but it may be wrong. Those components can come from rejected batches after testing...
Old 11th September 2012, 02:34 PM   #192
diyAudio Member

I think its ST cut but part numbers dont seem to quite match up with the manufacturers numbers
Pt number is OX 1439C-LV-10 whereas on pdf i would have expected it to be OX4139C
http://raltron.com/products/pdfspecs/ocxo_ox3000.pdf
Maybe me having an off day

Smiffy

Last edited by Smiffy; 11th September 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11th September 2012, 03:48 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Personally I do not have very much trust in what is sold on Ebay. Quite expensive (as usual) components sold for low prices. They can attach the data sheet, which cam look nice and so on. But how one can know if in fact the component really have those parameters specified in the data sheet? When one buy from a well known retailer, there is a bigger chance for that specified parameters in data sheet are reflected in the product/component. Anyway, the percentage of that chance is very big comparing with an really unknown retailer/seller on, for say Ebay marked. A well known retailer will not want to compromise its name selling wrong, doubtful or out of parameters products.
When is about a very precise/stable and high quality clock oscillator, I would prefer to be sure about its parameters before using it in a high end device. Specially when is to be concluded about increasing quality of that device after using a such clock... The other side of this way of thinking is a very high price paid for that high quality clock...
This is my way of thinking... But this do not mean that one do not have to try...
So yours to chose and take the risks...

Last edited by Coris; 11th September 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11th September 2012, 04:38 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
Personally I do not have very much trust in what is sold on Ebay. Quite expensive (as usual) components sold for low prices. They can attach the data sheet, which cam look nice and so on. But how one can know if in fact the component really have those parameters specified in the data sheet? When one buy from a well known retailer, there is a bigger chance for that specified parameters in data sheet are reflected in the product/component. Anyway, the percentage of that chance is very big comparing with an really unknown retailer/seller on, for say Ebay marked. A well known retailer will not want to compromise its name selling wrong, doubtful or out of parameters products.
When is about a very precise/stable and high quality clock oscillator, I would prefer to be sure about its parameters before using it in a high end device. Specially when is to be concluded about increasing quality of that device after using a such clock... The other side of this way of thinking is a very high price paid for that high quality clock...
This is my way of thinking... But this do not mean that one do not have to try...
So yours to chose and take the risks...
Think i'll leave it then Coris.If i'm gonna pop in a high quality clock may as well know its high quality before all the work.Ta for the advice
Smiffy
Old 12th September 2012, 01:28 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

I just think that (as a principle) one have to trust the components to be used, when is about result appreciations... Else there is another way: measurements.
And maybe other way too: just do not care and watch at what happen.
Old 12th September 2012, 07:12 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

Default Another way to get rid of the fan noise in BDP95

...and in general when about a noiseless functioning fan...

The idea is to isolate the fan using an sound absorbent or elastic mounting, and prevent its vibrations to be transmitted to the rest of the enclosure. In the same time assuring an turbulence less air flow out of the enclosure.
I used an quite common sound isolating/textile mate which is used to cover the inside of the speaker boxes.
I cut it that mate as is to be seen in picture, to make an cylinder of it, with the same diameter as the fan propel. Used an quick elastic glue to finish this. I glued with the same glue the fan on that made it cylinder. Then everything glued on the right place of the original fan. The fan have to be suspended and sustained only on/by that sound absorbent cylinder. That`s all.
The result: the whole fan noise is gone! The most also...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (330.1 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (224.2 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (527.0 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (290.5 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (275.1 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by Coris; 12th September 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 13th September 2012, 07:55 AM   #197
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Youd be better using a closed cell neoprene faom or a even better slow recovery foam (memory foam):
http://www.pfa.org/intouch/pdf/IntouchV11_1_read.pdf
This is very good at absorbing vibration, due to cost and problemswith working often only used in this area in more exotic (mil/aero medical) products. But for DIY use where production costs are not paramount (takes for ages to cut due to slow recovery properties) its great. There are different grades, but the foamout of a decent pillow willlast for ages.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:02 AM   #198
diyAudio Member

Of course there are many ways and maybe better materials to work around this task... The idea is to prevent vibrations to be transmitted to the rest of the enclosure, and to absorb the fan generated noises.
Old 13th September 2012, 12:30 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

At CEDIA Oppo showed preview units of the new BDP-103/105 BD players:

New or Enhanced BDP-103/105 Shared Features:
Latest generation QDEO which supports 4K upscaling
2x2 HDMI. Two HDMI inputs; Two HDMI outputs.
The Front HDMI input supports MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) which allows some of the newer smartphones to be connected direct to the player and transmits the phones screen to the television. This also allows for ROKU Stick support.
Newest Netflix interface which supports 1080p video, multi-channel audio, subtitle and alternative language selection, and Family Interface
Gracenote for looking up media information such as album art, artist, album, and track information for your CD, SACD, and user generated media
Backlit Eject buttons. No more thumbing around in the dark.
No more analog video. There is a "DIAG" port, but this is to only see the OPPO UI when there is no media playback. So for those of you who use a small monitor for media playback, you will need to upgrade to a DVI/HDMI capable display.

New BDP-105 Only Features:
Fanless (unlike the BDP-95)
Headphone Amplifier
works as an asynchronous USB DAC
Optical and Digital Coaxial Inputs
Properly oriented XLR outputs
Old 13th September 2012, 08:44 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal29a View Post
works as an asynchronous USB DAC
That alone would be top of the list for many I suspect. But I don't see anything I need desperately.

Cheers, Joe R.

Hide this!Advertise here!