DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532 - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2011, 10:45 PM   #601
F1 FAN is offline F1 FAN  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm going to build a second unit but use the Salas shunt regs for the +-12 VDC on the analog section.http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...shunt-reg.html
I will leave the SMD reg's in place for the low voltage but feeding them from the shunts should help them as well.

Last edited by F1 FAN; 30th August 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:15 PM   #602
diyAudio Member

Feeding the regs from the shunts might help, but not that much.

The question is that the final regulator will imprint its main characteristics to the audio. If you preserve the SMD regs, which are not shunt types, they will imprint their quality.

But you do have to pre-regulate what goes to the SMD regs, because they can't dissipate the full voltage coming from the raw supply.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:55 PM   #603
diyAudio Member

Sure,noise will be cumilative but since the shunts will be superior in this regard to the LM78/79's I suspect there will be some improvement.I am however of the opinion that providing the purest DC possible to the output buffers(vs the digital IC's) will result in the most significant gains sonically.
Old 31st August 2011, 11:19 AM   #604
diyAudio Member

One might also try to omit the L2 inductor before DVDD (pin 2 on 439X)..

AKM 2004 applications guide somehow do not recommend placing inductors.. On page 4 it says 'do not place inductors in the power supply lines, as these restrict the flow of current to the chip and can reduce performance') Might be easy to try with/without L2 if there is some difference (assuming your supply has some care upstream already (?) ) (best to measure)

L2
Click the image to open in full size.

Bypass as close to the consumer pin: AKM designers are of course talking about smd ceramics btw, which can be placed much closer to VD consumer pins than the throughhole components on our 2496 mini (C18 for example which are, few mm away and might render them more ineffective (?) )

And, adding bypass to Oscon should not be done (according Dario, Eva, Elvee etc.. look this for more information paralleling film caps with electrolytic caps)
In this case its possible to put your Oscon into place originally designed for the small bypass (example; if you have some 100uF Oscon in C30 >> put it in C18 position you get the idea ^^)

Last edited by aircondition; 31st August 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 31st August 2011, 06:47 PM   #605
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 FAN View Post
I'm going to build a second unit but use the Salas shunt regs for the +-12 VDC on the analog section.http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...shunt-reg.html
I will leave the SMD reg's in place for the low voltage but feeding them from the shunts should help them as well.
I have 2 Salas shunt board Im thinking of doing this with.Or would it be better to use them with th A+5 and A+3,3v and leaveing the D+3,3v as is?

Edit: Does the VL VD get 9v from the regukator?
Edit2: See now that VD VL is 3,3v what is the 9v used for then,is only as prereg for the D3,3v?

Last edited by Ryssen; 31st August 2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 31st August 2011, 07:40 PM   #606
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
I have 2 Salas shunt board Im thinking of doing this with.Or would it be better to use them with th A+5 and A+3,3v and leaveing the D+3,3v as is?
Edit2: See now that VD VL is 3,3v what is the 9v used for then,is only as prereg for the D3,3v?
- Yes assume the A+5 and A+3.3V will benefit more from your 2 salas boards (in the future you could well add some lownoise design to D+3.3V and use ears ) keep feed as short as possible

- yes LM7809 is prereg to VD+3.. eventually because of how much heat the tiny SMD regulator can dissipate (voltage drop) (?)

Better make one change at a time and listen what you like. /me think it can sound incredible good with low jitter transport
Old 31st August 2011, 08:10 PM   #607
diyAudio Member

Since that i'm not using opamps in my ak4396 based soundcard hence direct-out mod, single clean 5v source is enough to supply all dacs and 3.3v digital parts via National's LM1117-3.3 . I didn't compare 1117-3.3 variants of other companies but National's noise figure and other specs are promising.

LM723 voltage regulator is very stable and clean source for this kind of applications in my humble opinion. LM723@5v + 22.000uF + power transistor(s). This is my current setup. You can find lots of schematics based on LM723 around.
Old 31st August 2011, 09:03 PM   #608
diyAudio Member

Quote:
IMO the priority would first be to provide the output buffer with the best supply possible.If you have enough boards to also do the 3.3 and 5 volt analog reg's then by all means do it.
Old 31st August 2011, 09:14 PM   #609
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Tonight I ordered parts for a 3 Salas shunt.But 2 is going to share one transformer.
Old 31st August 2011, 09:34 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Tonight I ordered parts for a 3 Salas shunt.But 2 is going to share one transformer.
If your transformer for the digital supply has two secondaries you could use one for the third salas shunt board and use it to feed the A+5 voltage to the DAC chip.Some trace cutting may be required and the complexity increases substantially.

Hide this!Advertise here!