DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

What changes is the frequency at which the filter starts to attenuate.Therefore using the filter suggested in the 4393 datasheet with the 4396 will result in identical frequency response as if it were used with the 4393.

226346d1307580420-dac-2496-ak4393-dac-kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-oustage-graphs.jpg

Taken from one of my posts.

From this graphs you can see there is a difference, not big but it's present.

I've heard it from start:

BTW I didn't write that is harsh, but bright.

What I mean is that the tonal balance have, IMHO, too much high frequency content...too much but good and refined.

226346d1307580420-dac-2496-ak4393-dac-kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-oustage-graphs.jpg

Taken from one of my posts.

From this graphs you can see there is a difference, not big but it's present.

I've heard it from start:
Sure if different LPF filters were used then the frequency differences will be directly attributable to that.If you used the same filter on both DAC's the frequency response (as in hi frequency roll off characteristics) would be the same.

Last edited:
Sure if different LPF filters were used then the frequency differences will be attribuatable to that.If you used the same filter on both DAC's the frequency response as in hi frequency roll off characteristics would be the same.

Your sentence is contradictory...

Those graphs represent the frequency response of the two LPFs alone.

So, if you apply to the same dac the two filters you obtain different overall frequency response.

So if frequency reponse of DAC + LPF is, as specified, +-0.2db you can conclude that the two DACs have different frequency response.

Your sentence is contradictory...

Those graphs represent the frequency response of the two LPFs alone.

So, if you apply to the same dac the two filters you obtain different overall frequency response.

So if frequency reponse of DAC + LPF is, as specified, +-0.2db you can conclude that the two DACs have different frequency response.
Not contradictory at all.My point is that if you used for example the 4393 filter in the first graph with the 4396 it would result in the same response as if it were used with the 4393.In other words it is the LPF that is determining the response not the DAC chip.

Guys, just trust your ears. I got so much stuff laying around that should technically be
better to what I did afterward to it, but sound-wise it can't compete.
As long as we are slaves to data-sheets we will not advance in this hobby.
A good run in AK4396 does not exhibit any harshness without the filter, period.
If harshness is a problem look somewhere else.
I got the 4396 on my soundcard, on my emu 0404usb and on many implementations of
my own boards.....no harshness. And no it's not because of my speakers. I got highly
revealing horn systems, studio monitors, Fostex wide band, ribbon speakers.....no
problem whatsoever.
Just put the LPF matter to rest and give the AKMs a good tube stage, direct out,
trafos, but stay away from opamps.
Opamps are an ok option only until we find something better. A Lampizator walks all
over any opamp, be it discrete or a one chip device.
Lukasz Fikus has been tweaking dacs and CD players for years. Just look at his site.
Thirty or something implementations of his Lampizator with any dac chip you can name.
His AK4396 and 99 with no filter and just the Lampizator afterward are his two best
dacs. This has been verified by people with high dollar boutique dacs and turntables.
I just don't know what keeps people to try the Lampizator out? To easy? To good to be
true?
He did one for the AKM chips three years ago with exact descriptions and
sound impressions. A handful of rather cheap components is all it takes.
Just do it and be done with the digital side of your chain.

Klaus

Guys, just trust your ears.

It's what I did.

First I've heard a problem with timbre balance, after I found the solution in the datasheet...

A good run in AK4396 does not exhibit any harshness without the filter, period.
If harshness is a problem look somewhere else.

Again, never talked about harshness...

I ordered the kit with the AK4396...I got the AK4393. Should I press the seller for the proper AK4396 kit, in other words is the difference between the two significant enough to get bent out of shape over? I'm getting ready to fire this thing up but am also a little shaky on the rn-20 trafo arrangement. I have 4 primaries 0v-115v-230v-scn and 8 secondaries two pairs of 9v and two pairs of 15v, I planed on just hooking the 9v pair capping the unused 9v, and hooking the two 15v secondaries in series with the two center conductors hooked to 0v on the pcb, I don't want to fry the thing, thanks in advance guys.

No bass, do you need different caps?

Just wondering if everyone mods the board, with new caps, and wondering if the supplier ever put in the right caps and resistors on lpf off the dac? I could check it. It seems i was one of the last to buy this dac. My biggest concern is the week bass, i play a cd on some old sony cdp and they got bass. My PS1 has bass, what is the best mod to get the bass level up, If i play a cd on the pionner there's weak bass also, seems like all new dacs have this problem, pisses me off. I got it running off a pioneer dvd 47ai which supposedly has a good transport, i got another dac BB2134 2channel, and some Elna LP5 2X10,000uf and 2X27,000 black 4 pole that just say for audio on the side both are caps from a 97 H/K that was never used, wondering if they would work for power filtering caps and if that dac would be better or just take the signal off the dac ? sounded good on the PS1. also are you supposed to change out the 15vr for a 12vr ? That's what it seems per the BOM, and it needs a heatsink. would lm317vrs work for the VR's? everyone seems to use them on cd player mods. i've read every post and have never seen anyone do this. I got the r-coil and last question is it better to connect the gap, to run just 2 power lines or to have all connected 15,15,9v?

Thanks for any advice I'm a dumb ***, I want bass!! Rockon!

Hi,
I have a completely standard, bought complete in a case 4396.
I cannot fault it but if I was being picky I would say sometimes the bass is a fraction loose, but this is minute and could be the recordings.
I can't see me modding this as I don't see how it can be any better.

Others must be hearing improvements but I think it should be listened to standard for at least 100 hours before any judgement is made.

thank for the reply, yes everything is stock. but looking for solutions, do any of my other parts help ? the dac 2134, ELna Lp5 10Kuf, and 27Kuf ? also the wiring. The IEC plug is from a computer PS and has 3 caps, going across from Hot, N, G, is this good or bad or nothing? Im sorry about response times, I got to go to my parents to get online! So throw me some good mods, Its very detailed i like a more earthy anolag sound, were every sound has larger dynamics. It goes high and crisp but never adds But that seems to be the problem with the bass, To high and crisp, no warmth of a soul. Thanks any suggestions will be gladly taken. And i'm slow on responses!

ROCKON!

Just wondering if everyone mods the board, with new caps, and wondering if the supplier ever put in the right caps and resistors on lpf off the dac? I could check it!

I've just had a look at my bought assembled board and all the resistors from the dac to the output are the same. 1k
Do I take it that this is wrong and I should change them to the BOM values.
If so why did the Chinese designer use these values.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.