Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2011, 08:43 PM   #201
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Since I have BG NX HiQ left I thought to use those but the DAC at first failed to impress me as much as it does other people. It is not bad, certainly not ! It is just that I have heard better ones

I am building DACs for a long time now and have heard some true pearls like the lampucera/Lawrence DAC etc. With or without swapping parts it should appeal when switched on. This one did not.

But maybe I will spend some BG and try it again. It is too easy to blame other things so I will give it some time and try to improve it. BTW I think this kit is a very cheap but very well built DAC kit which absolutely is worth the money. Do not understand me wrong, you probably can't buy a better DAC for that money.

Last edited by jean-paul; 21st June 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 21st June 2011, 10:48 PM   #202
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
I think I've found why the AK4396 version sounds tonally unbalanced...

I was reading the datasheets of AK4393 and AK4396 and the sample output stage (which incidentally is identical to the one of this board...) and they've the same topology but different resistors and caps values...

So for the two DACs a different LPF is required!!!
The AK4396 outstage is clearly more rolled-off...
This night I've made some resistor and cap swapping according to the two different LPFs (AK43943 Vs AK4396 one) and, to my ears, difference is clearly audible.

Using as a reference my SACD player outstage (which is also the transport) the AK4396 outstage sounds tonally indentical while AK4393 one is slightly brighter.

I've also tried the AK4396 LPF with carbon film resistors and I can confirm that, as per AKM white paper they sound tonally identical but more refined and less harsh.

I've used Vishay SMA207 (0.1%) for metal films, RS Components own brand for carbon films (5% hand matched to better than 1%) and Wima FKP2 for filter caps.

Last edited by ClaveFremen; 21st June 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 21st June 2011, 11:00 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Since I have BG NX HiQ left I thought to use those but the DAC at first failed to impress me as much as it does other people. It is not bad, certainly not ! It is just that I have heard better ones
How long have you had the DAC for ? it does take some time to break in .
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:31 AM   #204
diyAudio Member

Jean-Paul,
I have been searching the web with Google to find a source for the Fluency DAC kits you mentioned with no luck. Do you have a link to the kits?
Thanks,
Old 22nd June 2011, 06:57 AM   #205
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi, you can check:

My any style

http://www20.tok2.com/home/easyaudio...riesManual.pdf

OK, I think I am one of a few (probably the only one) that have built these DACs on this forum. They are relatively unknown as they were produced for Luxman (for example in the DU50 and DU80). Both Mr. Fujiwara and Mr. Katase are willing to sell their kits but you will have to have some patience as they clearly make these products mostly for the japanese market. Both these gentlemen are helpful in answering questions but please respect the language barrier. Google Translate is your friend in this matter.

I helped to make a translation of one of the manuals so there should be an english manual for the My Any Style DAC. The Fujiwara DAC1242-1.5 is easy to build and that is the one I have been using for months now. Musical and involving, somewhat noisy but they're good.

The DAC1242-1.5 has opamps and I use those to drive output transformers 1:1 from the Haufe company coupled with BG caps as I did not want my DCB1 to have some DC offset at the input. Maybe not the best choice so I will try output caps without the transformers.

Last edited by jean-paul; 22nd June 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:28 AM   #206
F1 FAN is offline F1 FAN  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well at the price I can't resist.I'm going to get one of 4396 version's of the kit and use Salas BiB shunt regs and a discrete opamps.
Old 24th June 2011, 08:12 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

Default File downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
I have just added an Oscon to the power rail of the digital receiver, and there is a big improvement to the sound.
Hi Erin,

I have just purchased one of these DAC kits.. not the ready-assembled, because I wanted to use the various upgrades described in this forum.

I was particularly interested in what you have done but for some reason when I tried to download your attached files (C3, change to 470uF...) Google just bombs. Could you send me a copy of the files so that I can read them?
Also, in the meantime, have you had any other thoughts about further changes. The DAC should be a great little board to experiment with.
I am using a Marantz chassis as a base for Pass B1 buffer and I plan to include the DAC in the same chassis.. I have abandoned metalwork as just too difficult, so the strategy now is to buy old high quality dead systems, resurrect their power and controls and insert my hifi diy boards instead of theirs. Seems to be more acceptable to the wife too!

Thanks for the help

George
Old 24th June 2011, 09:40 AM   #208
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

In the attached image you can view C3 correct polarity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCB - Percorsi LOW.jpg (175.1 KB, 1574 views)
Old 24th June 2011, 02:54 PM   #209
YohY is offline YohY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default AKM 4395 chip

AKM 4395

Did a little diggin' around today, an found that the aforementioned chip is used in the Stello DA100 Sig Dac ...

CD players DA100 Signature review from the experts at whathifi.com

Disclaimer: I do not in anyway endorse the 'expert' bit in that link !

-Andy-
Old 26th June 2011, 08:16 AM   #210
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebrooke View Post
Hi Erin,

I have just purchased one of these DAC kits.. not the ready-assembled, because I wanted to use the various upgrades described in this forum.

I was particularly interested in what you have done but for some reason when I tried to download your attached files (C3, change to 470uF...) Google just bombs. Could you send me a copy of the files so that I can read them?
Also, in the meantime, have you had any other thoughts about further changes. The DAC should be a great little board to experiment with.
I am using a Marantz chassis as a base for Pass B1 buffer and I plan to include the DAC in the same chassis.. I have abandoned metalwork as just too difficult, so the strategy now is to buy old high quality dead systems, resurrect their power and controls and insert my hifi diy boards instead of theirs. Seems to be more acceptable to the wife too!

Thanks for the help

George
Hi George, Clave has done the diagrams.

I have used 470uF Oscon SEPC, but I don't think the capacitance is critical, but I do recommend using Oscon SEPC, or NCC PSC on digital rails, Silmic on analog rails, film/foil caps for the analog filter, and PPS for the digital bypass caps. But you could use paralleled film foil caps on digital bypass instead of PPS if you can't get PPS caps, which are sort of rare and expensive.

I haven't done any further mods, but I was thinking that 100uF Silmic on the op-amp and 220uF on the analog regulators would be possibly better than the 220uF/470uF combination I have been using. (But not tried it)

Hide this!Advertise here!