DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Hallo forum

I have just powerede up the DAC for the first time.

I´m a total Newbee, så this is the first time, i try to solder a pcb.

But the 3 leds lights up. "Power" "96k" and "Error" and newer gets off.
I have checked the 3 78/79xx regulator, and they are working just fine, and the same whith the 3 Lm1117.

I know it it`s hard to say, what is wrong, , but anybody know where to start ?

My DAC >>>

Do you have a single or a dual transformer? You need a dual transformer for this kit.

If the regulators get hot, particularly the 7809, you will need to attach a heatsink. The size of it will depend on the extra current dissipated for 18v AC. I don't know which are the current requirements of this kit.

The place where 7809 is seems to show that it was likely heatsinking it would be necessary. Perhaps just a small aluminium plate would do it.

Greg: your 7X12 regs also get hot? If so, then heatsinking them would be tricky.
Dual 18V transformer..., Can you attach a picture or illustration how to connect the transformer to the converter?

Hallo forum

I have checked the 3 78/79xx regulator, and they are working just fine, and the same whith the 3 Lm1117.

My DAC >>>

I wonder if there's any issue with the spdif input. Those three lights are on when there is no spdif input. As soon as it is connected, for me, three lights become just one. Otherwise board looks OK....maybe check your solder joints too just in case one is bad, run an iron over them.

Dual 18V transformer..., Can you attach a picture or illustration how to connect the transformer to the converter?

If you have a dual output transformer (0-18 + 0-18), which is required, then you will have four secondary wires. If you have a diagram showing you which colour wires are what then it makes things easier.

Connect together the center two wires, screw them into the center hole on the pcb screw terminal block, and then earth it.

The other two wires go into the remaining two holes, doesn't matter which one goes where. As mentioned before, as you are using one transformer you need to solder together two points on the underside of the PCB, there is a small pad with no hole in it (i.e. to make a solder bridge with)

If you do not have a diagram of what colour wires are what (so you can identify the center taps wires), you will need a scope to ensure you have grounded the right ones, so that the the AC on the remaining wires is correctly out of phase.

This is what i did and it works fine.

Hallo forum

My DAC >>>

Silver84, did you earth the center tap wires? I can see just the two transformer wires screwed into the center screw terminal hole. I think, maybe maybe, that's an issue here.

I noticed one of the board suppliers,(along1986090) offers a "finished 2496 (AK4396) CS8416 DAC with transformer+case, EBAY item #110712416420, for $82+$24 shipping. Looks great, could buy then mod. Anyone have experience with this unit, any thoughts, thanks, satwilson
As a newbie to this forum, I am not a newbie to DIY. I was building Dyna'KITS and Karlson folded horn enclosures w/15" JBL's in the late 60's. You want LOUD! Anyway, my thread is for people like myself who do NOT WANT TO go thru endless discussions of caps/etc. Thankfully some people have cut through and said, It as ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE! I will repeat my thread, anyone have experience with this unit, no one has a better chassis/enclosure. There are different levels of commitment to DIY

Hallo forum

Have you connected a normal CD player to the DAC and tried to play a CD?
do you get any sound? any lights change after a few seconds?

If yes, you tried, and getting no sound, I think the CS8416 is faulty, or there is a dry joint on it.

As a newbie to this forum, I am not a newbie to DIY. I was building Dyna'KITS and Karlson folded horn enclosures w/15" JBL's in the late 60's. You want LOUD! Anyway, my thread is for people like myself who do NOT WANT TO go thru endless discussions of caps/etc. Thankfully some people have cut through and said, It as ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE! I will repeat my thread, anyone have experience with this unit, no one has a better chassis/enclosure. There are different levels of commitment to DIY

Satwilson, I think you meant to refer to your post, not thread.

Anyway, you posted twice but I still dont understand exactly what you want to know. It seems like you are wondering what does a stock board sound like? My answer is this: it sounds good, but not as good as a modified board.
There are 42 pages discussing what this kit sounds like, and mods to it...

For $100 delivered it seems like a good deal as a finished product in case.
Finished 2496 (AK4396) CS8416 DAC With Transformer+case | eBay

what more to say?

Silver84, did you earth the center tap wires? I can see just the two transformer wires screwed into the center screw terminal hole. I think, maybe maybe, that's an issue here.

Hallo

I have tried connect my dvd player to the s / pdif, nothing change, the 3 leds, still lights.
My newbee brain don't understand what you mean about the earth, can you make a simple drawing :) ?

My connection whith the traffoes >> http://www.coot.dk/download/connection.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Erin >> faulty, sounds not god :-(

Last edited:
something looks not right.

Why two wires running to 0V point on the input?
Why is brown and red connected to the centre connection?

do you have the transformer wiring diagram?

Hallo Erin

Yes it is a "Talema" traffo Trt30212 and i have found this diagram : http://www.display.nl/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/tekening/02.04.12015.tek.jpg

And allso here : http://elektronik-lavpris.dk/files/sup2/TRT30.pdf

I tried to resolder the print, and now ints working. When i turns on the CD player, the "Error" and "96k" Led gets Off, and only the "power" is On. BUT....... a have a lot of noise ind the speakers, when i turns Off the CD player, when the cd player is On, the noise disappears. I think something is wrong hear ?? Also i get a "plob" in the speakers, when i turn Off the DAC ?

Last edited:
Its normal to hear a small noise when turning on and off.

Have you tried leaving it playing for a 30 seconds to see if it starts to lock to the signal?

Try looking at the soldering again with a magnifying glass. Probably still a solder problem.

The sound comes out of the speakers, but when i Turn off the CD player, i get a lot of noise in the speakers. And this is not right.
I have connected the transformer right?

It is right. When there is no spdif input, some dacs produce random hiss.

At least, my AK4396 board does exactly this.

How did you get it working out of interest?

My dvd player and Squeezebox Touch direct connected to my amp, does not produce so much noice/hiss. I think the dac produce to much noise, but only when the CD player is off (the dac is connected to the cd player)
I'm afraid to pull the stel through the CD player?

I think it was a bad soldering, but it seames to work now. But i don`t like all that noise/hiss when turn of the cd player, and a "plob" when i turns off the DAC.

Last edited:
I see some putting high end audio capacitors for the decoupling power filters. May someone explain me why? I mean, the audio signal passes through the coupling caps, whereas the decoupling are only for the power line, where a low ESR cap like panasonic FC should do ok? Or I am wrong?

Last edited:
I see some putting high end audio capacitors for the decoupling power filters. May someone explain me why? I mean, the audio signal passes through the coupling caps, whereas the decoupling are only for the power line, where a low ESR cap like panasonic FC should do ok? Or I am wrong?

You are not wrong. But, if you put better quality capacitors into a power supply, like Elna Silmic, or Mundorf etc. the sound changes for the better.
If you put worse quality capacitors the sound gets worse. The sound only changes by small amounts. But the small change is the difference between low-fi, mid-fi and hi-fi. If Panasonic FC satisfies you then OK, if you start to want even better sound, install a better cap.

The quality of the power supplying the individual components directly affects the sound, just the same as a component directly in the signal path affects the sound.

Last edited:
You are not wrong. But, if you put better quality capacitors into a power supply, like Elna Silmic, or Mundorf etc. the sound changes for the better.
If you put worse quality capacitors the sound gets worse. The sound only changes by small amounts. But the small change is the difference between low-fi, mid-fi and hi-fi. If Panasonic FC satisfies you then OK, if you start to want even better sound, install a better cap.

The quality of the power supplying the individual components directly affects the sound, just the same as a component directly in the signal path affects the sound.

You are talking about the 3 2200uF right ? do you know these caps, and are they better than stuck >> https://www.elfaelektronik.dk/elfa3~dk_da/elfa/init.do?item=67-229-95&toc=19089

Is it better så change the 3 caps to bigger values ? Like 22000uF insted ?
Sorry for my newbee questions

Last edited: