DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

I see some putting high end audio capacitors for the decoupling power filters. May someone explain me why? I mean, the audio signal passes through the coupling caps, whereas the decoupling are only for the power line, where a low ESR cap like panasonic FC should do ok? Or I am wrong?

If you refer to Nichicon FWs, they're not hi-end caps, they're simply designed with audio in mind...

Panasonic FCs (high voltage versions) are not bad for audio but they easily sound harsh (low voltage versions are harsh everytime...).

Obviuosly I've tried them on the MINI2496 but they're not in my BOM, guess why? ;)

The quality of the power supplying the individual components directly affects the sound, just the same as a component directly in the signal path affects the sound.

Absolutely :nod:

You are talking about the 3 2200uF right ? do you know these caps, and are they better than stuck >> https://www.elfaelektronik.dk/elfa3~dk_da/elfa/init.do?item=67-229-95&toc=19089

These are very good caps but for digital decoupling, on the analog supplies there are better alternatives...

I'm going to finalize my BOM, hopefully in the next days I'll post it :)

If you refer to Nichicon FWs, they're not hi-end caps, they're simply designed with audio in mind...

Panasonic FCs (high voltage versions) are not bad for audio but they easily sound harsh (low voltage versions are harsh everytime...).

Obviuosly I've tried them on the MINI2496 but they're not in my BOM, guess why? ;)

Absolutely :nod:

These are very good caps but for digital decoupling, on the analog supplies there are better alternatives...

I'm going to finalize my BOM, hopefully in the next days I'll post it :)

Looking forward to reading about it

You are talking about the 3 2200uF right ? do you know these caps, and are they better than stuck >> https://www.elfaelektronik.dk/elfa3~dk_da/elfa/init.do?item=67-229-95&toc=19089

Is it better så change the 3 caps to bigger values ? Like 22000uF insted ?
Sorry for my newbee questions

Well, You will probably notice I used 22000uF, old stock Cornell Dubilier capacitors which I had lying around. They sound really good. Bigger value capacitance reduces the ripple getting to the chips.

Low ESR is not a guarantee of good sound quality. There are plenty of low ESR capacitors that sound terrible. I never tried the Sanyo electrolytic capacitors in the link. If you want a good and cheap audio capacitor in a large value but small size like 2200uF or 4700uF, I would recommend Nichicon FW capacitors which sound quite good. IMO they are much better sounding than the more expensive Nichicon KZ or gold tune (which IMO sound like rubbish) You could also get Elna Silmic in 2200uF which is better than the Nichicon.

Well, You will probably notice I used 22000uF, old stock Cornell Dubilier capacitors which I had lying around. They sound really good. Bigger value capacitance reduces the ripple getting to the chips.

Low ESR is not a guarantee of good sound quality. There are plenty of low ESR capacitors that sound terrible. I never tried the Sanyo electrolytic capacitors in the link. If you want a good and cheap audio capacitor in a large value but small size like 2200uF or 4700uF, I would recommend Nichicon FW capacitors which sound quite good. IMO they are much better sounding than the more expensive Nichicon KZ or gold tune (which IMO sound like rubbish) You could also get Elna Silmic in 2200uF which is better than the Nichicon.

This is a godt answer for a newbee like me. Thank you for that :) I will do a google serch, to find out where to bye around Denmark. My Dac has now playd obout ~15 hours, and i am wery positiv :)(out of box) The DAC is connected to my SB Touch. Before i used the analog out, and this is already much better :) But i think i wil upgrade the 3 2200uF as told from you :)

So 3 pcs of these would improve the sound 2200uF/100v ????

Ore here.. 2200uF/16v (is 16 volts enough ? )

Which is best, Silmic or Silmic II ??

I also think of changing the regulators (78/79xx) to low noise regulators, like UWB or Belleson . In my DIY PSU to my SqueezeBox Touch, i am using a uwb regulator, with good results.
Someone who has tried?

Last edited:
Which is best, Silmic or Silmic II ??

I also think of changing the regulators (78/79xx) to low noise regulators, like UWB or Belleson . In my DIY PSU to my SqueezeBox Touch, i am using a uwb regulator, with good results.
Someone who has tried?

When selecting Elcos try everytime to select the highest voltage rating that fits since highest voltage always implies lower Dissipation Factor and ESR (which is good).

Silmics are best after (analog) regulators, but also Cerafines are very very good, in some case also better (fuller sound).

Regarding regulators I would try before ON Semicondutor MC78xx/79xx since they have much lower noise and output impendance than others LM78xx/79xx and they cost only ca. 1.5US$...

I've just replaced in a Marantz CD6002 the 5V regulator of the DAC's analog supply (there was a KIA7805) with a MC7805.

It seems another player... fuller sound, deep bass and more refined ;)

When selecting Elcos try everytime to select the highest voltage rating that fits since highest voltage always implies lower Dissipation Factor and ESR (which is good).

Silmics are best after (analog) regulators, but also Cerafines are very very good, in some case also better (fuller sound).

Regarding regulators I would try before ON Semicondutor MC78xx/79xx since they have much lower noise and output impendance than others LM78xx/79xx and they cost only ca. 1.5US$...

I've just replaced in a Marantz CD6002 the 5V regulator of the DAC's analog supply (there was a KIA7805) with a MC7805.

It seems another player... fuller sound, deep bass and more refined ;)

Excellent feedback
I think i wil try to replace the 3 2200uF nichicon caps, whith some Silmic ( I or II ?? ) and try finding highest voltage. But space is a problem

What about the 2 caps in the pics attacht (red mark) ? Anything better i could change to ?

Attachments

• pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 1,124
Excellent feedback
I think i wil try to replace the 3 2200uF nichicon caps, whith some Silmic ( I or II ?? ) and try finding highest voltage. But space is a problem

I've yet to confirm it but pobably the digital one could be left as is, I would focus on the two analog ones (consider also Nichicon FW, cheaper and very good 2200uF/63V fits).

What about the 2 caps in the pics attacht (red mark) ? Anything better i could change to ?

Yes, as I've said in last post, Silmics or Cerafines (100-220uF) ;)

I've yet to confirm it but pobably the digital one could be left as is, I would focus on the two analog ones (consider also Nichicon FW, cheaper and very good 2200uF/63V fits).

Yes, as I've said in last post, Silmics or Cerafines (100-220uF) ;)

Okay
The original Nichicon on the pcb is about 16mm in diamter. And Nichicon Fw is 18mm But maybe it is not a problem at all ?

Okay
The original Nichicon on the pcb is about 16mm in diamter. And Nichicon Fw is 18mm But maybe it is not a problem at all ?

No problem, also mines are 18mm and they fit, a bit tight, but fit ;)

Also a little anticipation on the final BOM...

Nichicon FW are confirmed as better sounding than the supplied PW, fuller and more refined.

I've tried also Panasonic FC 3300/25 on digital supply and they are very very good but with a hint of harshness... FW, since as good but without harshness, are confirmed.... ;)

After the analog regulators both Cerafine ans Silmic II are very very good and very similar with Cerafines a bit more direct (whith a hint of harshness) and Silmics a bit softer: Silmics confirmed.

Last edited:
Final BOM (really?)

You can find attached my final BOM for the MINI2496 DAC.

A note on reading it...

The suggested parts are indicated in bold, under each supplier's row you can find the same part or an alternate one.

But remember the best part is alway the one in bold, the alternates are possibly worse.

The only exceptions are out of production parts, also indicated in bold in the 'Notes' row, such Rikens or Blackgates.

On AK4396 resistors: the right value is 2.4K but PRPs are not available in such value, if you buy alternates remember to buy 2.4K ones... ;)

Enjoy... ;)

Attachments

• MINI2496 BOM.pdf
    11.6 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
Hello,

I need your help with some trouble I've run into with my AK4396 DAC.

I use Foobar2000+WASAPI output in Windows 7 x64 to send the music bit-perfectly to the DAC through the digital output of my on-board Realtek ALC892.
If I set the volume level to 100% (to achieve bit-perfect playback) the DAC is clipping. The top and the bottom of the analogue signal is simply missing. :worried: Obviously, if I lower the volume to about -5.93 dB (~80%) the clipping stops.
This problem also occurs using Windows mixer's digital output + Windows Media Player.

Is there a problem with the DAC itself, or with the Windows 7 x64's output system?

Thank you for your time and generous help in advance:
Jeff

Interesting. I'm 99% sure the problem lies with the computer software.
The output stage of the DAC runs on +/-12 Volts so, with a 2 volt output there is no way the op-amp could be clipping. It must be your software. Try ASIO4ALL instead of wasapi and see if the problem persists. Thinking some more about it, perhaps your realtek driver has a problem? I presume you are using the SPDIF header on your motherboard?

does the DAC clip when you use a DVD/CD player as a SPDIF source?

Last edited:
I am using the S/PDIF header on the motherboard, of course.
However, in the past few hours I've tried out some other setups as well, but the result is always the same: the signal coming from the DAC's output is clipped.
The sources I've tried:
- ALC892 + Windows 7 x64 + WASAPI + foobar2000
- ALC892 + Windows 7 x64 + ASIO + foobar2000
- PCM2902 DIY soundcard + Windows 7 x64 + WASAPI + foobar2000
- ALC892 + Ubuntu 10.10 + ALSA + VLC & Rhythmbox
- Old Thomson DVD player

Here's a link to the test file I've used: 2shared - download 440Hz-15sec-44100Hz-16bit.wav

Jeff

Just finished my AK4396 kit build. Didn't bother wiring up the -V side of the board as I'm not using the stock opamp output stage. Using Tamura TD-1 output transformers so tapping the balanced signal straight off the AK4396. As I'm using an off-board 12VDC PSU (currently SMPS but SLA battery to follow) I replaced the 7812 with another MC7809CT.

Sounds great so far.

Attachments

• 100_1123.jpg
    100_1123.jpg
    934.8 KB · Views: 1,308
  • 100_1124.jpg
    100_1124.jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 100_1125.jpg
    100_1125.jpg
    924.6 KB · Views: 1,120
  • 100_1126.jpg
    100_1126.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 100_1127.jpg
    100_1127.jpg
    870.1 KB · Views: 948
  • 100_1128.jpg
    100_1128.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 281
I've read that they have the lowest noise of commonly available 78** regulators, so use them by default, but haven't done a direct comparison with anything else. I suspect the difference to sound quality will be dependant on external factors (how tolerant the components downstream are to noise etc.). Certainly no complaints.