Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2012, 06:36 PM   #791
Onvinyl is offline Onvinyl
diyAudio Member

Hi Borge,
first make shure alsa works properly. From a shell, run alsamixer. See if your card is detected and channels are not muted. Run aplay <a music file> and see if that works. You might consult aplay's man-page for proper options.

Rüdiger
Old 1st January 2012, 06:47 PM   #792
oneoclock is offline oneoclock  Europe
diyAudio Member

When I programming the new firmware I lost everything.
AB-1.1 not work. Firmware lost.

LED OFF all time.
PROG-RESET: UAC1 - UAC2 chage did nor work.
PROG-RESET-RESET-PROG: driver program did not work.

Press PROG, USB plug on, release PROG
has been the solution. He revived the card.

USB driver has appeared and I was able to program the firmware again with deletion included. AB-1.1 with new firmware worked again.
Old 1st January 2012, 07:36 PM   #793
cyteen is offline cyteen  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampler View Post
No philosophical background was intended, as it is common adjective synonym for practical, realistic, down-to-earth... But I get your point.

It's the first time I've looked it up and the difference between the generally accepted meaning and its derivation it tickled me ;-)
Old 1st January 2012, 08:12 PM   #794
oneoclock is offline oneoclock  Europe
diyAudio Member

The new firmware is best measures in UAC2 Than old firmware.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old firmware.

Click the image to open in full size.
New. audio-widget-nik-2011-12-29.elf

But worse UAC1 measures than old firmware.
New firmware does not work on MAC: UAC1 44.1 Khz 24 bit (yes 48 khz 24 bit and all UAC2: 44,1 48 88, 96, and 192 khz. Does not work 176 kHz.

Windows work UAC1: 48 and 44.1 khz 16b 24b 32b.

Last edited by oneoclock; 1st January 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 1st January 2012, 08:38 PM   #795
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Its possible to build a Voyage MPD image that will boot from a USB stick, very low overhead. However the host hardware may cause a few bumps if it is not supported.

The Voyage setup process is pretty daunting. Its easier to do than it looks but you need to follow it precisely.

Once its setup on a disk its possible to use various tools to make an image of the disk that can be shared. There are a number of tricks for fooling the network connections etc. to get this all working. I don't have time to create before CES, but after I'll go through the process and make an image for a 2 GB USB stick and a simple windows tool for writing the image if no one else has.

If you have Voyage loaded you have either command line tools to control it or you use a controller on a different box.
Old 1st January 2012, 10:15 PM   #796
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Oneoclock:
I do have the new firmware working on Linux and Windows at all sample rates in UAC2.

I see an sensitivity to ground noise. Here are two plots. The first is a 1KHz loopback at 192 KHz with and without an isolation transformer on the audio. The noise around 1 KHz difference is obvious. The JTest does not show as much of a difference but the jitter sidebands do change about 3 dB lower with the transformer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB1 iso vs direct.JPG (224.4 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg AB1 Jtest iso vs direct.JPG (211.1 KB, 251 views)
Old 1st January 2012, 11:28 PM   #797
alexlee188 is offline alexlee188  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

Very interesting measurement results.

The improvement with the new firmware is probably the change from sending 24 bit i2s to 32 bit I2S to the es9023 !!!

1. UnixMan heard a slight SQ improvement with new firmware;
2. oneoclock showed a measurable improvement in the test.

The theoretical explanation may be what I suspected, that a 32bit I2S input allows the DAC's internal DSP to process more accurately thus the resultant sigma delta output is more refined. In the case of es9023 this helps even though the final output is only at 24bit.

The scenario is :

24 bit jest signal ---> playback software/driver converts to 32 bit, probably zero padded --> USB ---> i2s ( 32 bit data instead of 24 bit data followed by ?random noise) ---> DAC DSP front end ---> sigma delta ---> 24 bit equivalent output.

So it looks like 32 bit USB-I2S is good even for some 24bit DAC's. Think what it means to true 32bit DAC's :-)

Alex
Old 1st January 2012, 11:34 PM   #798
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borges View Post
A lot of people are stuck with MS equipment.
you may be stuck with a particular software at work because there are no other choices or (more often) because your employer does not allow you to choose. But...

how can you be stuck on a particular system when the only thing this system must do is just to play music?

Why should someone insist on using one particular system when every other one is so much better, at least for that specific task?

Does anyone care which OS is running inside his DSL and/or WiFi router, SAT/DTV decoder, smart TV, media player, etc?

Do windows users refuse to use most of such appliances just because they happen to run Linux? (although most users of those appliances do not even know that...).

Do they refuse to use Android because it's based on a Linux system?

People are stuck because they believe to be stuck (or perhaps because they want to, which is about the same).

But let' go back to the point.

The real problem here is just to provide a ready-made, "plug&play", easy and appealing solution. That works in the way people would expect it to. That's what most people wants.

For most windoze users, only a native windows driver with its "ok-ok-ok" blind-clicking installer "wizard" would do. Anything else would be deemed too complex, intimidating, unpractical.

Trust me, proposing such a complex thing as the need to install VirtualBox, its proprietary extensions for USB2, an image with virtualized Linux, an MPD client, configuring and making it all to work together would not attract many windows users, if any...

You'd attract way many more users by packaging together the AW with something like the Voyage starter kit (pre-configured) and a small, pre-configured ethernet router. Better yet, put it all together in a single "appliance-style" box.

And also add a CD with the required software (that is copies of "gmpc" compiled and packaged for the most common OSs, plus perhaps a few other clients for smartphones, tablets, etc).

Instead of the router, you may use an SBC with a few extra ethernet ports (or an add-on NIC) and let Linux manage it all.

Perhaps not even that... just add a DHCP server to the installed Voyage and provide a "crossed" ethernet cable.

Then, whatever OS you happen to use, all you have to do is to connect the Ethernet cable and install the MPD client.

And/or you may also add a WiFi interface (that acts as an access point), so that you don't even need to connect any cable and can also use a smartphone or tablet as a remote controller.

This should be deemed easy, practical and attractive by just about anyone.

Quote:
UAC2 audio will only gain wide popularity once it works well on Windows.
I'm afraid you're missing what's the target for the AW. The real problem here is not windows or another OS. That would be probably true if you were trying to sell some gadget targeted at the general public of desktop and/or portable computer users.

But the target for something like the AW are neither generic computer users nor the consumer market. Most people don't care much about SQ. For them usually the internal sound card that cames with modern computers is more than enough.

Your main target are those few crazy people who cares. Namely, the audiophiles.

People who often have little confidence with computers. And usually do not like at all the idea to connect such a ugly thing as a computer to their super-expensive audio systems.

What they would really like are not drivers for any particular system. What they would really like would be an appliance that works in as much the same way of a simple CD player as possible! Connect power and analog out, turn on, pick-up the remote, go to the sofa, press play and listen. They do not even want to know that there is a computer and some software in there.
Old 1st January 2012, 11:43 PM   #799
GeorgeBoudreau is offline GeorgeBoudreau  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex,
I cannot see how the ES9023 is handling a 32bit data stream within the LRCK time frame. At what rate is the bit clock running.

I will get off my butt this week and finish the PCM5102 card and try out a true 32bit DAC.

George
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:07 AM   #800
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry for needing some hand-holding here...
sorry for not being more detailed.

Quote:
Tried Alt-F2, "gstreamer-properties".
yes, right one.

Quote:
That let me select ALSA, and the test tones worked. But Banshee remains mute.
you mean the test tones worket through the AW, right?

Are you sure to have restarted banshee after the change? In Ubuntu (and likely its derivatives such as Mint) banshee is started whenever you login. It is always running in the background. When you close its window you do just that, but the process keeps running. If in doubt, a reboot will ensure that there are no leftover process.

If there are still problems you may want to stop banshee, remove all of its config files/dirs and try again.

Another trick you may want to try is to set the AW as the default ALSA device.

open (or create) the file ~/.asoundrc and add a line like this one:

Code:
pcm.!default "plughw:1,0"
where the number correspond to that of the AW, that you may see by giving the command "aplay -l" in a terminal (try also "aplay -L" to see the corresponding pre-defined PCM devices).

Quote:
I can't work with Ubuntu's latest GUI.
just for the sake of curiosity: you don't like it or your PC has troubles running it?

Quote:
would love a Linux live CD which booted right into a player. No passwords, logins, configs, just a bit-correct player.
that should be relatively easy to do...

Quote:
I'll try Voyage too.
that's a good idea. It may need some more refinement to make it even easier to install and use, but is a good project.

Open-source USB interface: Audio WidgetHide this!Advertise here!