Stand-alone HDCD decoder project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HDCD tests posted for VickHard

HDCD tests posted for VickHard :D

I downloaded these files and generated a playlist to play them in that order.

hf_sweep_nf.wav
hf_sweep_tf.wav
impulse_train_nf.wav
impulse_train_tf.wav

I connected the Popcorn Hour A100 to the network and played the playlist files.

Connection is Popcorn Hour -> 44.1 spdif to my HDCD decoder box -> 88.2 spdif to my PC with EMU0404 soundcard in -> ASIO to Wavelab 5

The EMU0404 ASIO is a direct input to wavelab and samples are not modified by the soundcard.

The popcorn hour plays the playlist in order and adds about one second in between tracks. The HDCD light on the decoder goes out for about one second between tracks.

There is one output file for the playlist.

the file created was compressed lossless with flac -> rossl_hdcd_test.flac

3 files are available here:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~rossl/audio/hdcd/readme_hdcd_tests.txt
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rossl/audio/hdcd/playlist.m3u
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rossl/audio/hdcd/rossl_hdcd_test.flac

HDCD tests

Hi Ross

Thanks for your test. :)

Unfortunately, there is probably any error. :confused:
The output file has the size of 27 MB, and compressed file (rossl_hdcd_test.flac) - about 4 Mb. But I can download from your link only 1.2 Mb. And flac gives an error at decoding.

Whether you can upload file again or check up it?

Thnx
Vick

Testing HDCD

Did you have any success in your analysis of the data streams?

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Unfortunately your test (and Chris) has confirmed that the transient filter flag is not used during the PMD-100 decode process. :confused:
Chris (cjk32) wishes to try creating a new version of a test file, but he is busy and does not send it.

You do not know, whether there are hardware HDCD decoders on other IC (like PCM1732, PMD-200, ADSP21065L, ZR36710/30)? It would be possible to test them.

Attached is the resulted FLAC file after was decoded by ZR36732PQC, ouput set as PCM (instead of RAW) and recorded with my X-Fi as bitmatched. lt me know if it's OK, since Windows7 own audio panel sometimes screws with that bitmatched setting.

PS: Sorry for the confusion, now I see that Chris (cjk32) is the one that made that decoder.

Attachments

• Digital-In (Creative SB X-Fi) 2010-03-22 21-02-01.zip
    694.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
VickHard, first of all thank you for the HDCD.exe.
PS: Sorry for the confusion, now I see that Chris (cjk32) is the one that made that decoder.

Right, Chris has developed "hdcd.exe". All thanks to he. :)
I try to understand the HDCD filtering process ("Conjugate HDCD Interpolation Filtering, 44.1 to 96/88.2 kHz" in attached picture)

Attached is the resulted FLAC file after was decoded by ZR36732PQC ...

For analysis the 24bit/88.2kHz file is necessary.

Attachments

• hdcd.jpg
    hdcd.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 205
For analysis the 24bit/88.2kHz file is necessary.
Sorry, that player outputs only 44.1kHz.
I have a Denon DVD-2390CI and Deonon AVR-3805 that both can decode HDCD, but looks like none outputs the decoded signal via PCM.
I have access to i2c internally (at least the DVD player cancels the AL24 processing for HDCD), but dont' have a SPDIF transmitter. I was thinking to get eventually one, but... since I have DenonLinkIII didn't feel the need.

About level increase: it is done with tha intent that the same disc played in a regular CD player and in a HDCD player will have the same output level.
An easy test:
I have a Philips CD-473 non-HDCD. Hooked to my Denon AVR-3805 via digital and analog connection. Via digital, the AVR decodes the HDCD signal. Via analogic, I have the undecoded CD signal. There is no difference in volume - not that I can tell. But 6dB will be detectable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.