Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

dimkasta,

I can't find it, but I have a copy I'll post since it does not have a copyright mark on it.

hopefully there is no issues with this.

I will point out that there is an error in the drawing.

Only one centerline dimension is given referenced to the top two holes. It appears to be the Cl for both the circular cutout for spindle as well as the Cl for the track rectangular cutout. However, the circular cutout is 1.125"dia and the rectangular cutout is 1.00" so the Cl can not be the same for both or the rectangle would be centered. Which it is not. It is offset towards the bottom of the drawing. Knowing that the rectangle is 1" it is offset by 0.125" from the Cl shown.

Steven

Attachments

• DriveTemplate.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Package is here even though tracking says it is still in transit. No days off till next week though. ) : Quality looks amazing Tibi. Thanks for all of your great effort in this exciting project. Having run a JVC shiga for almost 8 months now I am sure you will get many thanks for making this great project available again at reasonable cost.

Post Office Happiness

Tibi,

Package arrived. Everything looks great. Thanks a lot.

Am I correct in saying that you can leave the two end boards connected as long as the LCD to button relationship is OK with you?

All,

I admit, it will be a little time before I build my kit. Too many projects. It would be great if Tibi or someone else would take pictures during the build and suggest component soldering order, etc. All of this posted in a build tutorial would be very helpful.

Jac

Hi everyone, I managed to find some time to put together the shigaclone.

But I cant get it to work snif ...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

power supply is fine 8v dc.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All the V1 thru V4 are 5v.
All IC are oriented according to the silk screen and solder joints have been inspected several times with 10X jewelers loupe.

I know I screwed up 3 things.

1. powered up with mechanism laser short in place.

2. powered up with inverted motor spindle/sled/limit switch connector.

3. powered up with inverted lcd connector (18pin thing).

What does it do?

when powered up the disk spins and searches the disk the lcd display shows "--"
once complete the lcd display shows "00" but will accept no more inputs only the TOC button works repeating the read cycle.

I will post some pictures soon.

Last edited:
First up - I can't see your pics...

I've seen this problem a couple of times with some of the shigas I've built. It has always been a problem with the crystal (or reclock circuit). In one case I replaced the citizen crystal with another one, another I had to clean up the pad a little better to solder it on, and in the 3rd case my own clumsiness killed one of the 74ACT14/74AS74 chips in the reclock circuit.

Based on that and my poor understanding of how it all works I can only suggest looking at the crystal, its power supply, connections etc etc.

Maybe tibi can supply more/better suggestions...

Fingers crossed for you.

Fran

Last edited:
Uploaded with ImageShack.us Thanks woodturner-fran, will try the crystal since I have one laying about, I'm inclined to believe at present that I fryed the LC78601 by inverting its cable.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If is Mouser part than C57 and C58 are 18pF.
See also crystal datasheet.

Mouser Part #: 695-HC49US-169-U
Manufacturer Part #: HC49US-16.9344MABJ-UB
Manufacturer: Citizen
Description: Crystals 16.9344MHz 18pF

Over each cap add one more 10pF or at least one more 8pF.
Also have a look with a camera or phone on the laser (not direct eye) to see if is working.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got done testing Q1 collector 42.1 mA with disk spinning and 2.5mA at idle.
Measured voltages also: whilst spinning. E. 4.58v C. 1.83v B. 3.84v
Uploaded with ImageShack.us Just stacked the 10pFcaps on C57 C58 at least that should be ok now.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us Laser still does not seem to work. :scratch:

Last edited: