Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2009, 02:11 PM   #3801
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Sure, it could be high jitter clock, but this is exactly how I wanted it. Check this link to see the reason why: GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - The clock upgrades: my proposals

On couple other occasions I also installed "jitter approved" high performance clocks and always went back to simple oscillator; it just sounded more natural.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 23rd December 2009, 02:49 PM   #3802
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Sure, it could be high jitter clock, but this is exactly how I wanted it. Check this link to see the reason why: GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - The clock upgrades: my proposals

On couple other occasions I also installed "jitter approved" high performance clocks and always went back to simple oscillator; it just sounded more natural.
Interesting....
Bad day for the clock mongers. The crystal oscillator #810006 in the Mark Levinson is rather low jitter though.
Old 23rd December 2009, 03:45 PM   #3803
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Romy's talking about modding CEC TL0, not Levinson, and it appears that TL0 uses very similar crystal to the Citizen I've been sugesting for Shigaclones, see attached pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (35.5 KB, 922 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 23rd December 2009, 03:49 PM   #3804
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Romy's talking about modding CEC TL0, not Levinson, and it appears that TL0 uses very similar crystal to the Citizen I've been sugesting for Shigaclones, see attached pic.
The Citizen crystal is OK but it takes more making a low jitter oscillator.
Romy's double bass phenomenon is something I can't duplicate. I think Romy is telling fairy tales.
Old 27th December 2009, 02:17 PM   #3805
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I joined the forum some time ago because of this thread. With some difficulty, I managed to find a RC-EZ51. Until it is all sorted with power supplies and maybe some other mods it is mounted in some 18mm multiplex. The plan is to use separate power supplies of the board and the two motors, and maybe later add a Trichord clock with its own power supply.

Unfortunately, it seems I have already destroyed the digital out and therefore my project. I had mounted a pair of resistors of less-than-ideal values, and had not connected the shield of the 75 Ohm coax cable to the dac. While connecting the shield I swapped resistors for a 300/100 Ohm pair, and the solder pad for the digital output just let go. I have no experience with this kind of soldering, and probably overheated it.
Can anybody tell me if / how I can still get a digital output?

Thanks,
Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen E.; 27th December 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 28th December 2009, 11:41 AM   #3806
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen E. View Post
it seems I have already destroyed the digital out
You can get the signal from the IC (LC78601 pin29) or the track from the IC to the pad, but it's not an easy task. Are you sure the output pads cannot be repaired? Maybe you can remove the soldering with a desoldering sucker and use the pads again. Please post a photo.
Old 28th December 2009, 01:51 PM   #3807
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

If the pad still exists - just take a piece of bare wire, thread the pad, wrap around the PCB edge, twist fast and solder the pad, done.
Old 28th December 2009, 03:59 PM   #3808
diyAudio Member

Don't forget to practice your soldering skills on a scrap PCB, before grabbing the bull by the horns.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:25 PM   #3809
diyAudio Member

I tried to post a picture, but cannot figure out how. According to the faq there is an 'albums and pictures' link in the user control panel. Except that there really isn't. What am I doing wrong here?

But back to the subject. All that is left of the pad is bare PCB. There is a very small chance that it is repairable though: I noticed a tiny spot of solder on the rear edge of were the pad used to be, right at were the PCB-track starts. So if I retract the resistor lead while heating it, the remaining solder might just flow and form a new pad.
However, I noticed that solder by itself does not really stick to a PCB. Can anyone tell me whether they glue the pads on, or is it really just a question of letting the solder flow at the right temperature?
Old 30th December 2009, 04:03 PM   #3810
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen E. View Post
I tried to post a picture, but cannot figure out how.
"Post reply"
"Manage Attachments"
Upload the image file and you can see it in the list
"Close this Window"
"Preview Post" and then, if ok, "Submit Reply".
Very easy.

Hide this!Advertise here!