Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Ok, I've substituted the belden 1694a digital cable with one of my stealth audio IC and I can't believe what i heard. Right now, my system is alive performing in front of me. I did changed back and forth between the belden and stealth and the difference is staggering. I prefer the Stealth Audio IC. Good thing i have an rca adapter on hand or this wouldn't be possible. I know what I'm hearing is not a fluke. This was confirmed by my dad and my brother, they noticed that there was a big change in the sound without them knowing that I changed the cables.
I'll give it a listen more and will evaluate again. Thanks guys for suggesting this approach.

Ok, I've substituted the belden 1694a digital cable with one of my stealth audio IC and I can't believe what i heard. Right now, my system is alive performing in front of me. I did changed back and forth between the belden and stealth and the difference is staggering. I prefer the Stealth Audio IC. Good thing i have an rca adapter on hand or this wouldn't be possible. I know what I'm hearing is not a fluke. This was confirmed by my dad and my brother, they noticed that there was a big change in the sound without them knowing that I changed the cables.
I'll give it a listen more and will evaluate again. Thanks guys for suggesting this approach.

:up::happy1:

I do not understand well.
You use a stealth audio IC cable with an RCA plug on both sides.

And now uses a BNC to RCA adapter view photo ...
To connect your stealth audio IC cable, because you have BNC chassis connection on the DAC and BNC chassis on the Shiga.

Rudy

Attachments

• BNC naar RCA.jpg
    BNC naar RCA.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 392
I decided to make a Marigo-Stand on my PiTbull.

Since I find it a bit awkward the last couple of years to change cd's with in one hand the puck...the other the Marigo and missing a third hand to swap cd's , it became evident that I needed a stand on the PiTbull because as you know it is a free standing object so nowhere to put it (immediate surrounding).

Maybe for some it is over-engineering but you do not want to drop such an expensive cd.

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
I built one of these back when the thread was young. My transport is not tracking the outer parts of a disc now. Does anyone know where I might get the disc player assembly or know the make and model? Thanks

I've seen this a few times as well - I think that the issue is with the mounting of the mechanism. At least i think I solved it once by loosening the mounting screws at the 2 corners of the mech and it read OK then.

However, could anyone else chime in here?

Fran

I'm still working my way through this massive thread, is there a replacement unit since the noted JVC seems kind of impossible to find.

Thehof,

I can offer you both... I do have a spare JVC RC-EZ51 (second best to use as a donor andf the same that I am using in my built) and am also offering an unused Shigaclone kit from the first Group Buy. Saves you some money and offers a spare Sanyo mechnism! --> see Swap Meet section.

I've seen this a few times as well - I think that the issue is with the mounting of the mechanism. At least i think I solved it once by loosening the mounting screws at the 2 corners of the mech and it read OK then.

However, could anyone else chime in here?

Fran

Yes ,this is logical since over tightening the soft mechanism plate can change horizontal movement plain of the lens to a sensitive but significant degree of being enable to read the outer pits accurately.I didn'd had such problems because never tried the screwed version and just thinking about the Badge's problem....

BTW I did some more testing with aluminum pucks.

One with 85gr mass and one with 19grams.

On all cases the 85gr sounded better. Fuller sound and more contrasty.

BTW the 19gr one was spinning on top of the CD during start/stop. It has a very thin spot that touches the CD and is a bit heighty, so perhaps I need to try something with more surface touching the CD and lower gravity point.

I also tried the blue led thingy. The difference is borderline psychological if it even is there. I need to automate switching it on and off again to try it while listening relaxed. BTW I have a NOS dac if this means anything. Peter mentioned that people with NOS dacs do not perceive a difference with a led.

Last edited:
Hi Dimkasta,

How do you like the sound of your modded teflon cap on c906?

Thanks

It is a bit difficult to explain. The sound is more natural and easy. It is much less harsh than the factory FT1, but without any detail loss. I got the same feeling with some small electrolytics but the detail clarity suffered significantly.

I liked it so much that I am also modding my FT3 output caps on my DCB1.