Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 130 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2008, 08:39 PM   #1291
101dm is offline 101dm  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hy ShigaCloners!

I just want to show my "new" CD-Player based on a transport you all know well
The NOS-DAC is in the same housing.
No switches and knobs - everything is remote controlled which is fine for me.
The transport is mounted on a aluminum plate.
This plate covers a sand-filled ( 2 KG ) wooden frame...

I was searching more than one year for a good sounding "cheap" transport / DAC - Combo.
I don´t search anymore

Keep on with this very nice and inspiring thread!!!

Markus

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th July 2008, 08:30 AM   #1292
diyAudio Member

My Compliments.....the right ZEN Shigaraki
aproach....
Old 11th July 2008, 10:32 AM   #1293
kanifee is offline kanifee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Really want to take up this project but i need a little more experience first, that and i need to build a dac aswell before anything else!
Old 11th July 2008, 10:40 AM   #1294
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Kanifee. Get yourself one of these Dac boards and the power supply board for £30 and modify it. Not bad for little money.

http://rockgrotto.proboards39.com/in...ad=1672&page=1
Old 11th July 2008, 11:12 AM   #1295
kanifee is offline kanifee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

WOW thats cheap as chips, what would be the modifying needed to make this a decent dac, replace the dac chip and caps? im still learning about the impact caps and resistors have on the sonics of music hardware so pardon the ignorance.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:30 PM   #1296
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just read the whole Rock Grotto thread. I have modified mine to take balanced input and a 96khz signal with an up-sampler. Nice!
Old 11th July 2008, 01:11 PM   #1297
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

As I say, the only way to find out is to jump in with both feet. I am in the same boat. I little about digital domain stuff, but I have a buffalo DAC kit on order and a JVC -31 in parts on my bench. I will be ordering the BG caps and associated parts soon. B-day money is coming in and going right back out.

Should be interesting if nothing else. The other joy is watching the reaction of my sister in laws husband who has spent about $45,000 on his system when he hears mine. I think he has spent more on cables than I have on everything, and he prefers the sound of my system. Of course there is no marketing material or white papers about my stuff, so it can't be good.
Old 11th July 2008, 02:56 PM   #1298
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveM
As I say, the only way to find out is to jump in with both feet. I am in the same boat. I little about digital domain stuff, but I have a buffalo DAC kit on order and a JVC -31 in parts on my bench. I will be ordering the BG caps and associated parts soon. B-day money is coming in and going right back out.

Should be interesting if nothing else. The other joy is watching the reaction of my sister in laws husband who has spent about $45,000 on his system when he hears mine. I think he has spent more on cables than I have on everything, and he prefers the sound of my system. Of course there is no marketing material or white papers about my stuff, so it can't be good.

At least he is honest, perhaps one day he will be smart enough to ask you for help in designing a system that serves music..

Most people who see my system are just puzzled, there is almost nothing the average person would recognize. The complexity and largeness of it all, and the many tubes and sources confuse. (A very crowded rack full on homebrew electronics. 7' tall x 3' long) I've had a few non technical audiophile types over who for whatever reason had difficulty accepting that a hobbyist could design and build almost everything from scratch and achieve a good result. One fellow left in denial, only to call me a few days later to inform me that I had totally ruined his enjoyment of his existing audio system and that he would probably have to start over.. I don't know if he ever did..
Old 11th July 2008, 03:05 PM   #1299
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually that was the reaction I was expecting from this guy. He looked down his nose at my NAD silver line integrated and cd player. In the end I have found that he has better ears than I do and moved the speakers around a bit in the room and moved the chair and then sat there with his jaw open. "How is it that you have more high end details and a better image than I do?" Answer.... Nelson Pass, Best parts available, Blood sweat and tears, trial and error.

As I thought about this a bit, I believe that he spent as much on cables as I did on everything running in my system presently. hehehehe...
Old 11th July 2008, 06:58 PM   #1300
diyAudio Member

Dan_ed you have mail. I may be able to help you get a transport or two. Bye.

Hide this!Advertise here!