ES9018 I2C controller - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2012, 12:09 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

isolator is only required between I2C bus and dac.

not required for other I2C devices.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:09 PM   #22
CeeVee is online now CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

That is exactly what i want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpius View Post
If there is enough interrest I might do so or sell it through my website. First priority is to finish the design and make a prototype.

I could do with some input for the design. I'm thinking of adding some function to put the entire DAC into standby, except for the control unit. When it's in standby it could show the day time, month and year with the backlight turned off. This could be achieved with a little add-on board that houses a logic controlled relais that switches the power to the transformers.
Old 16th October 2012, 02:49 PM   #23
gwikse is offline gwikse  Norway
diyAudio Member

I went through some ideas with you earlier. From what I understand now you will link several atmei chips together if there is need for more programming space?

Anyways, each add on board could possibly have its own Atmega328?

Here are some of the things I am thinking of:

1. Networking in order to control the dac from a iphone / android possibly with the same gui as on the 20x4 display but with buttons along the edges to select inputs and the side-buttons on the android/iphone controls volume.

2. IR-learn and blast ability. In order to just use the apple remote for every component on a secondary function on the remote (f. ins pressing center + menu to control the source for the selected input).

3. I2c extender in order to link with other components? (i2c to cat5).

4. 20x4 LCD size PCB with screw holes so that it can be mounted to the rear of the LCD.

5. 12V trigger functionality. I am running the surround reciever through the dac and switch with relays. If the dac had a 12V trigger functionality this could be automated so that when the surround reciever is turned on the relays switch to the reciever.

The functionality you have listed is very good, I can see this being the controller in all my Buffalo/Opus builds.

Edit: more ideas

Last edited by gwikse; 16th October 2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: more ideas
Old 16th October 2012, 07:21 PM   #24
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necplusultra View Post
isolator is only required between I2C bus and dac.

not required for other I2C devices.
I can understand that it is not needed for the display and the other ICs that are going to be used within the controller, but using it for the outbreaks seems a good idea to me. Maybe you have a good reason to disagree. If so than please share it with me.
Old 16th October 2012, 08:11 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwikse View Post
I went through some ideas with you earlier. From what I understand now you will link several atmei chips together if there is need for more programming space?

Anyways, each add on board could possibly have its own Atmega328?

Here are some of the things I am thinking of:

1. Networking in order to control the dac from a iphone / android possibly with the same gui as on the 20x4 display but with buttons along the edges to select inputs and the side-buttons on the android/iphone controls volume.

2. IR-learn and blast ability. In order to just use the apple remote for every component on a secondary function on the remote (f. ins pressing center + menu to control the source for the selected input).

3. I2c extender in order to link with other components? (i2c to cat5).

4. 20x4 LCD size PCB with screw holes so that it can be mounted to the rear of the LCD.

5. 12V trigger functionality. I am running the surround reciever through the dac and switch with relays. If the dac had a 12V trigger functionality this could be automated so that when the surround reciever is turned on the relays switch to the reciever.

The functionality you have listed is very good, I can see this being the controller in all my Buffalo/Opus builds.

Edit: more ideas
1. We have discussed this before and it is also high on my whish list. There is a W5100 Ethernet module on its way to me. I`m not sure if it will make it into my first prototype. I have still not found any time yet to learn how to write an app for Android. I do not own a Iphone.
2. In my opinion way to complicated to control all sources. I`d rather use a logitech harmony or similar. I have thought of using such a remote for easy access to all functions I`m planning to add, but now I`m using the apple remote and still manage to access all functions. A IR learn function to teach the control how to use any remote would be nice. No idea how difficult this is. When in teaching mode the IR codes could be written to the EEPROM so the controller would reconise them again. I`ll try to find some info on this.
3. Would you like to control anything outside the chassis with it? There is no real need for an extender as long as all slaves are inside the chassis.
4. The holes already correspond with the ones of the 20x4 LCD
5. Isn`t this normally used to switch on a power amp?
Old 16th October 2012, 08:31 PM   #26
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If there is enough interrest I might do so or sell it through my website. First priority is to finish the design and make a prototype.

I could do with some input for the design. I'm thinking of adding some function to put the entire DAC into standby, except for the control unit. When it's in standby it could show the day time, month and year with the backlight turned off. This could be achieved with a little add-on board that houses a logic controlled relais that switches the power to the transformers.
That is mostly s/w. You could have two cases in the main loop: Active case and Standby case: Active case: power the transformers, program and monitor the DAC; Standby: power off the transformers, skip the DAC code and do the RTC stuff.
Old 16th October 2012, 08:36 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
1. We have discussed this before and it is also high on my whish list. There is a W5100 Ethernet module on its way to me. I`m not sure if it will make it into my first prototype. I have still not found any time yet to learn how to write an app for Android. I do not own a Iphone.
2. In my opinion way to complicated to control all sources. I`d rather use a logitech harmony or similar. I have thought of using such a remote for easy access to all functions I`m planning to add, but now I`m using the apple remote and still manage to access all functions. A IR learn function to teach the control how to use any remote would be nice. No idea how difficult this is. When in teaching mode the IR codes could be written to the EEPROM so the controller would reconise them again. I`ll try to find some info on this.
3. Would you like to control anything outside the chassis with it? There is no real need for an extender as long as all slaves are inside the chassis.
4. The holes already correspond with the ones of the 20x4 LCD
5. Isn`t this normally used to switch on a power amp?
1. Yes I know, I am hoping that others may be interrested in this as well and possibly someone with the knowledge to make apps and what would be nessesary in the dac for it to work. I have seen an app for iphone that control the pins on an arduino controller. Very basic control but perhaps it could be used as a starting point for a more elaborate control system.

2. AMB audio`s lcduino system has this function so perhaps we could use that code as a start point for the ir learn function. Then it would be a matter of adding the ir blast code to each input. But I also use a universal remote atm and it works flawlessly. The only thing is that it is a little complicated for some users. A simpler remote is requested from others here in the household

3. It would be nice to be able to only use one display in the dac chassis and still have a Beta22headphone amp + Alpha20 linestage with delta1+2 input/volume system in a second chassis. It would proborably be easier to have a second controller (LCDuino) to control this, but it would be cool to control both from the same controller. Other uses might be f.ins. light control, doorbell control (when the doorbell rings the dac is muted) etc. Many things you can do with an arduino.

4. Great
5. Yes, power amps can be switched on/off by that sort of system. But also other uses like turning on a projector and lowering a motorized projection screen.
Old 16th October 2012, 08:47 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
That is mostly s/w. You could have two cases in the main loop: Active case and Standby case: Active case: power the transformers, program and monitor the DAC; Standby: power off the transformers, skip the DAC code and do the RTC stuff.
That is indeed the easiest way to accomplish it. There will also be access to the RTC stuff while the DAC is active.

EDIT:
@ gwikse:
Thanks for pointing me to the lcduino. Perhaps I will add some function to control your curtains too

Last edited by Corpius; 16th October 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 16th October 2012, 08:53 PM   #29
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwikse View Post

2. AMB audio`s lcduino system has this function so perhaps we could use that code as a start point for the ir learn function. Then it would be a matter of adding the ir blast code to each input. But I also use a universal remote atm and it works flawlessly. The only thing is that it is a little complicated for some users. A simpler remote is requested from others here in the household

Do you have a link to the code?
Old 16th October 2012, 09:12 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
Do you have a link to the code?
I have the code. I will ask linux-works if it is ok to use/share his code.

Edit: the code is made for this project but he has used it in many systems. http://www.amb.org/audio/lcduino1/ http://www.netstuff.org/audio/

Last edited by gwikse; 16th October 2012 at 09:16 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!