Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 179 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 07:24 AM   #1781
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I foresee a heap of questions related to a certain new, cheaply designed ES9018 board, one that looks cheap on the surface, but once filled with parts; not so much. its hard to tell, it appears to be a single layer PCB with a very basic power supply, no controller and very basic opamp IV stage..... the amount of time and money and hack jobs needed to make it function well, will far outweigh any initial price difference.

those looking at a cheaper ESS dac that suits the fifo may look at the AKD16 ($50), which uses an ES9016 dac, has u.fl connector for MCK, has w.fl connectors for the rest of the inputs and has a proper compact PCB layout with segmented power and ground planes.

w.fl sockets can easily be soldered in the u.fl positions on the fifo clock board, thats what I do with its bigger brothers the AKD12P

Last edited by qusp; 27th December 2012 at 07:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 02:36 AM   #1782
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Default FIFO isolator board V2.0

1. Making it easier to assemble the resistor arrays.
2. 16-SOICN package ICs on top for better layout.
3. Including optional LP5900 LDOs.
4. Making SI8606 as optional I2C/UART isolator.
5. Including two power LEDs to indicate power good on both side.

Function and interface compatible with V1.0

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: png Schematic2.png (182.7 KB, 598 views)
File Type: png BOM.png (96.1 KB, 580 views)
File Type: png PCB.png (89.4 KB, 571 views)
File Type: png Schematic1.png (120.3 KB, 571 views)
__________________
Ian GBV+: I2S to PCM converter board & other accessories
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post4117119
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 02:53 AM   #1783
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Very nice Ian! I'm in for building a couple if/when you make protos available. Btw, Happy New Years!
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 03:22 AM   #1784
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRogers View Post
Very nice Ian! I'm in for building a couple if/when you make protos available. Btw, Happy New Years!
Thanks MisterRogers, Happy New Year to you too.

Ian
__________________
Ian GBV+: I2S to PCM converter board & other accessories
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post4117119
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 03:24 AM   #1785
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
I got Isolator PCBs V2.0 yesterday. Tested good today. Since I ran out all V1.0 PCB, will ship V2.0 for GBIII back order. Sorry about the delay.

Ian
__________________
Ian GBV+: I2S to PCM converter board & other accessories
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post4117119
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 06:41 AM   #1786
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
nice work Ian! so U9 and U10 are TPS7A style DFN package regs? I just ordered some of these including the negative counterparts TPS7A3001 for my portable dac, I will be using them with a simple mosfet follower for higher current to power the buffers for added transient response.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 08:57 AM   #1787
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
@ iancanada


Very nice work
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 11:23 AM   #1788
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
TNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I foresee a heap of questions related to a certain new, cheaply designed ES9018 board, one that looks cheap on the surface, but once filled with parts; not so much. its hard to tell, it appears to be a single layer PCB with a very basic power supply, no controller and very basic opamp IV stage..... the amount of time and money and hack jobs needed to make it function well, will far outweigh any initial price difference.

those looking at a cheaper ESS dac that suits the fifo may look at the AKD16 ($50), which uses an ES9016 dac, has u.fl connector for MCK, has w.fl connectors for the rest of the inputs and has a proper compact PCB layout with segmented power and ground planes.

w.fl sockets can easily be soldered in the u.fl positions on the fifo clock board, thats what I do with its bigger brothers the AKD12P
So qusp, you run the Ian fifo with the AKD12P?

/
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 02:28 PM   #1789
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
yep thats correct, been using them together for a fair while now, perfect fit
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 05:47 PM   #1790
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
nice work Ian! so U9 and U10 are TPS7A style DFN package regs? I just ordered some of these including the negative counterparts TPS7A3001 for my portable dac, I will be using them with a simple mosfet follower for higher current to power the buffers for added transient response.
Yes, the package is LLP-6, actually it's DFN.

LP5900SDX-3.3/NOPBCT-ND

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...BCT-ND/3527159

Ian
__________________
Ian GBV+: I2S to PCM converter board & other accessories
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post4117119
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface Lorien Digital Source 2220 Yesterday 06:01 PM
exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface exa065 exaDevices 1357 3rd March 2014 09:51 PM
DAC chip selection + I2S jitter questions drwho9437 Digital Line Level 2 26th July 2010 01:50 PM
Simple FIFO to I2S CPLD, for MCU players / reclocking KOON3876 Digital Line Level 21 19th September 2008 05:00 PM
asynchronous reclocking and low jitter clocks ash_dac Digital Source 3 8th February 2005 10:22 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:44 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2