4xtda1541a Nos Dac Project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2009, 10:50 PM   #1
noyan is offline noyan  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to noyan
Default 4xtda1541a Nos Dac Project

You can see the photographs of my continuing DAC project:
http://stereomecmuasi.com/forum/view...php?f=46&t=965
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:01 AM   #2
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Nice job, the boards look really well etched. Kind of reminds me of the old Cambridge Audio CD2, seeing the boards stacked like that.

But, most importantly, does it sound good?
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default 4xTDA1541A DAC

Thank you. Actualy i wired this DAC with one TDA first and listened. Sound was very smooth and accurate. Bass and mids were so good for me but highs were a little bit rolled off. When i complete it, i will listen it again and share my observations with you.
Noyan
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:32 AM   #4
devas is offline devas  France
diyAudio Member

I'm playing with TDA1541's too,

how did you chose your components ? did you make some tests before?
my experience with the wima capacitors is that highs were rolled off compared to other brands while mids and bass were great.

As far as digital receivers are concerned the Cs8412 and 8414 are widespread around the tda1541 but have a try with the DIR9001, sound is sharper more focused and yields tense bass.

I tried silmic cerafine in the power supply but the sound was thin compared to Nichicon muse whose balance was much better.
Old 2nd July 2009, 02:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Me too with 1541.

I have 2 in parallel.
With pin16 connected together, it sounds like more detail.
When pin16 was seperated, no big difference compare with single.

With pin16 connected, there is a waveform difference, does it mean it has a more precise dem clock?

What about if I put a dem reclock circuit that I found from EC's thread, did anyone compare this reclock on single and no reclock pin16 connected, which sound better?
Should I connected all pin16 together in 4X 1541?

Will try 4X 1541 once these questions cleared.
Old 2nd July 2009, 04:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default 4xTDA1541A DAC

Yes, you have to connect them parallel including pin no:16. Otherwise they won`t be paralelled. I have not listened them in parallel yet but, very soon i will. I read the forums and saw that Diy`ers are agree about the Wima MKP-10 Type polypropylene caps are sounding very good. I did not see in anywhere someone complains about these caps are rolls over the highs. Iwill try to find out the reason of roll overing the highs in my dac. Nichicon muse caps are audio grade and i like them. As you pointed out, their balance is better. When we paralell connected four TDA1541A then sound quality should be more better. I know the new DIR9001 IC But i choosed the Traditional CS8412 for more natural sound. If you can compare their price, you will see that DIR9001 cheaper than CS8412. About the re-clock, no. I don`t use it because i believe that TDA1541A is very good device and paralelling them ensures to minimising the clocking faults. In my opinion in this case no need to use external re-clocking circuit.
Old 2nd July 2009, 04:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Hi to all,

i do also a 4x TDA1541A NOS project based on the assembled Board from Hui Man Ying (raindrop_hui Item number: 220441387885). It is a absolute High-End build !

The output stage is a design from Lukasz Fikus (www.lampizator.eu) with two russian 6n2p double triode in SRPP.

I am just ready with the wiring and made some tweaks:

- 0,47 F BG NX Hi-Q parallel to all Decoupling Caps of the 4 TDA 1541A

- 0,1 F BG NX Hi-Q as Decoupling Caps to all outputs of the 7 separate voltage regulators

- 100F BG N or Sanyo Os-Con SP-Type at the voltage inputs (+5V/-5V/-15V) of the 4 TDA 1541A (follow-up)

- perhaps caps rolling from Wima MKP10 to Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil or Silver/Gold/Oil

Right out of the box it sounds very promising to beat my PS Audio DLIII with Cullen upgrade Mod. IV.
If i am ready, the DAC becomes a really nice housing...

Here the first photos:

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Best regards,
dvb-projekt
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvb-projekt
Hi to all,

i do also a 4x TDA1541A NOS project based on the assembled Board from Hui Man Ying (raindrop_hui Item number: 220441387885). It is a absolute High-End build !

The output stage is a design from Lukasz Fikus (www.lampizator.eu) with two russian 6n2p double triode in SRPP.

I am just ready with the wiring and made some tweaks:

- 0,47 F BG NX Hi-Q parallel to all Decoupling Caps of the 4 TDA 1541A

- 0,1 F BG NX Hi-Q as Decoupling Caps to all outputs of the 7 separate voltage regulators

- 100F BG N or Sanyo Os-Con SP-Type at the voltage inputs (+5V/-5V/-15V) of the 4 TDA 1541A (follow-up)

- perhaps caps rolling from Wima MKP10 to Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil or Silver/Gold/Oil

Right out of the box it sounds very promising to beat my PS Audio DLIII with Cullen upgrade Mod. IV.
If i am ready, the DAC becomes a really nice housing...

Best regards,
dvb-projekt
Is all pin16 of the TDA's connected together? 470pf or 680pf between 16 and 17?
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
All Pins 6 & 25 are connected together. All 4 TDAs have a separat 470pF Cs between Pin 16 & 17.
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default 4xTDA1541A DAC

Mine is using 6 pieces 12V battery as powersupply. Psu unit also consist of 5 pcs mini relays (see photos). Only OPA627 buffers are working with mains.

Hide this!Advertise here!