Experience with this DIY DAC ?

The CS dac chips sound better than the AKM. At this point, unless an exotic I/V stage is used, in my experience a direct out CS chip will also sound better than the PCM chips even though they have a huge cult following. I have had PCM63, PCM1704, and now tried a quickie I/V with the PCM1798 and none have rivaled the transparency of the CS43122.

does the C4398 have the same character to CS43122 with the traffos?

some centimeters of cables.

@bill

it's not so crap as you say the A-20. Don't forget it's a30/40 years old trafo

Don' get me wrong, they are not total crap, but they command a very high price and they just aren't that good. There are much better trafos available at much lower prices, especially on this side of the pond. I sure would not be looking for any to buy after comparing them in my system to Jensens and Tamuras, not in the same class. Still though, that is just an opinion.

mini

I believe they are 80080. They are out of a Yamaha mixing board. They are a close second to my JT 11-DMs. I use them in my SPDIF input DAC, the Jensens are in my CD player. I believe the Tams are also high nickel, they are very transparent.
I went to the Tamura site but only see some small telecom trans.
Welcome to Tamura Corporation of America

Don' get me wrong, they are not total crap, but they command a very high price and they just aren't that good. There are much better trafos available at much lower prices, especially on this side of the pond. I sure would not be looking for any to buy after comparing them in my system to Jensens and Tamuras, not in the same class. Still though, that is just an opinion.

You're right, 100 euros for 2X A-20 today are really too much, but dont forget the cost of LL1690. They are over 200 euros here in europe and the sound of the UTC is not so bad. I have not tested yamaha trafos, but who won't spend 200 euro for lundhal UTC is a good choice. Just my 2 cent

I would try the used 1690 that are posted for sale but don't think they would drive my 2 meter interconnects as well as the LL1684

No problems driving 2M coax cables with LL1690. The output impedance is not too high.

I also have pair of Tamura GA80080 for sale

A pair of Ramsa 600-600 for sale

A pair of UTC HA108 which are big brother permalloy core of A20 for sale

hi Kec,
Just from what I have read this thread,and lampucera ect,
The teroidal type actually add noise,,,,a E type regular trans will do the job a 2 amp is what I use @ 9v. I don't use the 12 volt side anymore because I use output transformers and don't need them.BTW I have tried almost every op amp ,some do sound good,ok no bashing,but buy transformers and save yourself some time and money,I bought the edcors,From what I hear they are good to me! other say the jensens ,I can't afford those now,I am disabled and will have to save for them,,,,
Just my 2 cents,read,read,read !!!!!!!
A thread on this site SALAS regulator is a good read and I've got those boards from the last group buy to try {hurry up my parts,lol}
Good luck!

Audiophroogal

What PT is everyone using on this DAC? How is the one that comes with it? I'd like to save $40 and possibly get a better one.

$4. Believe it or not, I'm using these for now as I don't power the opamps.
Digi-Key - 567-1035-5-ND (Manufacturer - BV030-7329.0)
Just something I had for another project but they sound so good I haven't been tempted to try anything better. I also have the stock ps transformer but haven't compared it yet.