Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Hi Everyone!
Got the edcors installed and working........WOW!!!!!! I'll say it again WOW!!!!!
I stil am tweaking the system but I have a shingaclone running into the dac,out to the edcors into active 3 ways into six gainclones they feed a set of nelson's bofo THANKS for those nelson!!!! with a midrange with 3 piezo's and a ribbon tweeker with 3 more piezo's nothing fancy or expensive but I have had 3 nieghbors come by and want one too! IT sounds clearat low volumes or cranking it still good and clear,dire straits is what's playing,I'll put some pics up in a little while I'm sold on transformers,I tried all the good op amps and resistors and caps ,I'm still sold !!!!!!!! Thanks to you Bill Fuss !

here's a couple of pics

Attachments

• 100_1462.JPG
    100_1462.JPG
    800.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 100_1461.JPG
    100_1461.JPG
    502.4 KB · Views: 413
  • 100_1464.JPG
    100_1464.JPG
    760.7 KB · Views: 385
hear's what I found so far bass is much tighter and sounds good and thumpie,mids are crisp,I like it that way maybe just a tad bright but my hearing is 56 years old,so,the highs are nice and ez no straining to make it tiss ,
I have a question? what will putting a resistor and a cap across the trans outs do?
I understand maybe a high filter or to stop ringing but I don't hear it or is this strictly a get the scope out thing?
I have as bill recommended 2 100r is series and a .001uf polystyrene across the inputs,straight out on the outputs to rca's,,,,,
Thanks to all that have helped me along this route,LDR and individual power supplies next,anyone running the sixpack mod to thier transport?
"to go where no ears have gone before"
NoSmoking

here's the set up excuse the mess it's in the WIP

Just as a reminder, there was earlier in this thread a suggestion to put the output trafo's as close as possible to the chip. I did this with my Monicars wired diectly to the chip board and found considerable improvement. Could have been due to other effects such as a better soldered joint but I don't think so. Why not give it a try?

I'll one day try to get hold of some better transformers.

Attachments

• IMG_4183.JPG
    IMG_4183.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Far

Just as a reminder, there was earlier in this thread a suggestion to put the output trafo's as close as possible to the chip.
That's funny. The next thing I was going to try was to move the transformers to the far end of my 8 foot interconnects to connect them directly to the input of the amps. If it sounds better with them there, I can switch to input transformers to take advantage of their superior noise shielding.

Near

here's the set up excuse the mess it's in the WIP
Very nice rat's nesting/ wood boarding. That's the way to progress quickly from one idea to the next. Don't forget to have each change tested in a 100 participant double blind ABX listening test at an accredited university before you dare to speak a word about the results.:cubehead: ( Sorry, just a dig at the ridiculous guys in another thread I am following. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...tenuators-jitter-reducers-95.html#post2364759 ).
I would suggest moving the stepped attenuators right to the inputs of the amps. Even a few feet of cable following a passive volume control will roll off the micro dynamics. It's less convenient having dual mono controls but they work just as well and sound much better.

hear's what I found so far bass is much tighter and sounds good and thumpie,mids are crisp,I like it that way maybe just a tad bright but my hearing is 56 years old,so,the highs are nice and ez no straining to make it tiss ,
I have a question? what will putting a resistor and a cap across the trans outs do?
I understand maybe a high filter or to stop ringing but I don't hear it or is this strictly a get the scope out thing?
I have as bill recommended 2 100r is series and a .001uf polystyrene across the inputs,straight out on the outputs to rca's,,,,,
Thanks to all that have helped me along this route,LDR and individual power supplies next,anyone running the sixpack mod to thier transport?
"to go where no ears have gone before"
NoSmoking

Inexpensive or old style trafos usually have a resonance that can intrude into the audio band. I don't have any Edcors to measure but it can be easily seen on a scope. An additional RC filter on the outputs of the right values to kill the resonance is beneficial for many trafos, and the .001/1K I use is undetectible by my ears. Its F3 is around 150khz. If you can hear that, either you have bat ears or it is working to combat some of the resonance in your trafos. The main reason I use it is to prevent ultrasonic overload to my downstream equipment, purely safety reasons. With the Jensens, they sound exactly the same, with or without.

Series resistors

Its F3 is around 150khz. If you can hear that, either you have bat ears or it is working to combat some of the resonance in your trafos.
The ultrasonic filter point is not audible per say, but the series resistors and the resultant increase in output impedance is. Unless a buffer is used to drive the cables.

The ultrasonic filter point is not audible per say, but the series resistors and the resultant increase in output impedance is. Unless a buffer is used to drive the cables.
ok so I need to put a res across the output in series with a cap so I had a drawing it used 1 to 7 k and a 400 pf cap so any suggestions,
I am going to use a computer scope program so I can have a scope I am 1300 miles away from my home so I have limited test equipment for now,
Last hearing check I'm good to 16.5 I need a little more volume overall but that's just another click right,lol!!!
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Edcor trans connections 2.jpg
    Edcor trans connections 2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
would anyone sugest one scope program over another for us audio people?
Thank,
NoSmoking

Hi Bill,
Would you compare specs on the edcors to the jensens, I would like your opinon,these are my first trafo's so I wonder how much better the jensens would be?
Most probably will have to wait a while,my women is starting the Christmas presents and cutting my toy budget,lol.
Thanks,

would anyone sugest one scope program over another for us audio people?
Thank,
NoSmoking

Hi Bill,
Would you compare specs on the edcors to the jensens, I would like your opinon,these are my first trafo's so I wonder how much better the jensens would be?
Most probably will have to wait a while,my women is starting the Christmas presents and cutting my toy budget,lol.
Thanks,

I believe TrueAudio has a free package that should fill the bill nicely.

Checking for resonance is easy. Just connect your signal generator through a 1k resistor to the trafo primary and hook up the scope to the secondary, then sweep the frequency up to 200khz or so. If there is resonance it will show up with a big response increase centered at the resonant frequency. Pretty easy, not rocket science. Then you can add an RC filter to flatten the response.

The Edcor specs are too incomplete to compare, but the Jensens are way better in the specs that the Edcors DO show.

Last edited:
Very nice rat's nesting/ wood boarding. That's the way to progress quickly from one idea to the next. Don't forget to have each change tested in a 100 participant double blind ABX listening test at an accredited university before you dare to speak a word about the results.:cubehead: ( Sorry, just a dig at the ridiculous guys in another thread I am following. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...tenuators-jitter-reducers-95.html#post2364759 ).
I would suggest moving the stepped attenuators right to the inputs of the amps. Even a few feet of cable following a passive volume control will roll off the micro dynamics. It's less convenient having dual mono controls but they work just as well and sound much better.

so Move the stepper to the speaker ends of the cables,that's where the active crossovers are and use 2 seperate volume controls at the inputs,
I'll try that too ,this is one spot I want to put the LDR's at, because the low amp has no volume controls on it ,the mids and tweeter do have them,I want to replace them with LDR's too..........Thanks!!!!!!!